Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car back from Houston Performance today. They installed a Paxton NOVI 1000 supercharger, Bassini X pipe w/ cats and 4:10 gears. It is raining today in Houston so I could no get too crazy with it. The car sounds like an idling jet at idle. There is no hiding the fact that the car is supercharged. The jet noise disappears at cruise. The car now accelerates like a bat out of Hades. The roads were way too slick to really test it.

I went with the Paxton as I wanted a conservative supercharged engine so I wouldn't have a "blown" engine. It seems like the higher boosted '99 up mustangs have a short life when running higher boost.

I had the x-pipe installed because the shop could not install the air/fuel monitoring equipment in the stock exhaust. Apparently you have to monitor upstream of the catalytic converters, and the stock H pipe has a cat right at the exhaust manifold. I wanted a custom chip so that I would know for sure that the car had a safe tune. The Bassani X pipe has room to add the monitoring port. It's a good thing that I went this route as the car leans out above 5500 rpm, even thogh it has the 36 lb injectors. Steve at Houston Performance told me I needed to get a Pro-M air flow meter as the stock meter range was maxxed out. If I get the Pro-M, Steve said he could tune it more aggressively and reburn the chip. I plan on getting the Pro-M and a reburned chip as my next mod. For now I will be careful and keep it below 5500 rpm.

I did the 4.10 gears since I could get the speedometer fixed at the same time with the new chip. Steve warned me that I would blow the tires away with the supercharger and the gears.

With the conservative tune, the car dynoed at 318 rwhp. That comes to 365 hp at the engine using 15% drivetrain loss.

Randy
DHG #1277
Paxton NOVI 1000 supercharger
Bassini X pipe w/ cats
4.10 gears

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Not bad Randy!! Can't wait to see the track times on that machine! Did you clean up the inside of the intake/phelnum? If you don't mind, how much did the charger set you back?
Be sure to keep all of that car on the road!
Cam

·
Registered
50 Posts
Randy if you don't mind what do you think the total $ setback will be after you burn the new chip, which I assume will be your last mod for a while?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
How much boost did you go with to be conservative?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OKCBULLITT on 2001-08-29 23:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I tell you I would never SC a car again I had that Steeda Cobra that was on my page & with only 13,000 mi no track events or ever really ran hard
It was just not for me
The motor would knock from time to time & broke a belt one time had to have it put on a roll back to get home, used oil bad, but it would run I will give it that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The service manager at my dealership (who happens to be a Bullitt owner) said the Bullitt could handle the Vortec supercharger without any trouble. No, I didn't think at the time to ask him "hey if you guys put it in will my waranty stay intact?" Stupid me. I've read a fair amount about supercharging the 4.6's. THEY say that you just need to make sure the car gets dyno tuned by someone who really knows what they're doing after installing a supercharger. Just reporting what I've read/heard, have NO experience in the matter!

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I would just L O V E to see quarter mile times from this baby!!

Please please please... :smile:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ChillBullitt & Bullitt51, here is the pricing:
Paxton supercharger kit $3450
install $450
4.10 gears + install + Royal Purple $400
dyno testing $75
wide band (air/fuel check) $60

I keep forgetting the receipt (I am at work right now), so the above was my original quote using the Paxton supplied chip. The shop could not get the wide band to work with the stock exhaust. I wanted to make sure the engine was not leaning out, so I went with the Bassani x pipe w/cats so that the wide band could be used. I felt the Paxton chip might have problems with x pipe, so we went with a custom chip. From memory:

x pipe installed $475?
custom chip w/ dyno, wide band, speedo recalibrate $200

The whole thing cost $5300 w/ tax :roll:. Steve initially forgot to charge me for the x pipe until I questioned him about it.

The Pro-M + install + reburned chip is a little less than $500.

I also need to get a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge. I am not sure where to put these without tearing up the stock interior.

DHG #1277
Paxton NOVI 1000 Supercharger
Bassini X pipe w/ cats
4.10 gears

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McQ Stang on 2001-08-30 08:57 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McQ Stang on 2001-08-30 08:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
53 Posts
Randy,

Autometer has a new guage holder that will put 2 guages in the corners of the instrument cluster, and really keeps them out of the way, but readily visible. Might be worth taking a look at.

·
Registered
224 Posts
so...what are your thoughts after a few days? Does it take off like a jetfighter? (sound and speed)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts