Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have seen,if you choose to go the Vortech route,you get to keep the Bullitt's trademark intake manifold,a good thing I like. However,you have to send out your factory computer for a reburn,once done it is that way forever? Suppose down the road you want to put it back as before? With the Roots type deal,you ditch the stock intake,and use a different computer,like the FRP deal. What is the typical life span of a Vortech type unit? I guess the engines give up long before the unit!

·
Registered
243 Posts
As with any supercharger, as long as you keep the boost down your engine should hold up for a while. I like the roots style personally... no drilling any holes in your oil pan. I've been talking with a guy from Saleen and they have one specifically for the bullitt coming out in a few months. It's between that or the Roush. Either way i'm gonna lose my intake, but HP will be above any Cobra or Camaro. Good luck.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The Vortech unit is bullet proof. Can't go wrong, and you can always send the computer back to Vortech to be reprogrammed back to original or just wait for a company to come out with a programmer (if they haven't already) and just do it yourself. I'm having one installed and it is supposed to be done tomorrow 11/21. As for the hole in the pan, no biggie, just screw a plug in the tapped hole.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Vortech does not reburn your ECU, they burn a Superchip that plugs into the port on the bottom of the unit. Completely reversable. For the hole in the oild pan, you can plug it without any issues at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What about 390 hp Barnaby? Do you feel your getting about what they advertise, and what do you estimate your times to be with it on?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-19 20:09, Big Man wrote:
What about 390 hp Barnaby? Do you feel your getting about what they advertise, and what do you estimate your times to be with it on?

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Here's what I am getting on our local dyno. 269rwhp uncorrected at 5300ft above sea level.
Follow my math, because it's gonna get weird:
We lose about 15% for the driveline, so you have 269/.85=316.47 crank HP uncorrected.
Now on top of that there is a correction factor to SAE of 22%, so 316.47/.78=405.73 crank HP.
I do have a AFM Powerpipe and Bassani X-pipe, which hopefully contributed some to that.

Here's my disclaimer: The correction to SAE really doesn't comprehend forced induction. So my thinking is that the corrected number should a little lower than my math shows.

So to answer your question, "What about 390 hp Barnaby?" I don't know. It's pretty close though. Hope that helps. For what it's worth, this is my second Vortech'd Mustang and can't think of reason that my next Mustang won't have a Vortech too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Of course the comp. can be reprogramed and the modual removed. You can always use a plug in the oil pan or lift the motor of its mounts and remove the pan for a new one. Installing a Vortech w/ aftercooler as we speak. The hole in the oil pan was so easy, just took about a half hour of carefully going from small to larger punches then the tap. Everything was going to plan till I realized that they shorted me a pulley (doh). So im about 90% complete and can't finish till hopefully Wed's when I get my comp. and pulley in. I like everything so far and will post a report of what I think when all done. I vote Vortech!

·
Registered
714 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-19 17:16, Barnaby wrote:
Vortech does not reburn your ECU, they burn a Superchip that plugs into the port on the bottom of the unit. Completely reversable. For the hole in the oild pan, you can plug it without any issues at all.

If Vortech just burns a Superchip why did the dealer have to remove my computer and send it to Vortech? If that is the case I don't see why the chip can't come with the kit and save us the time of sending it up to Vortech. My car has been down 8 days now waiting for my ECU to come back from them and I LIVE in CA.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Mine was down for about a week as well.

The way it was explained to me(by Vortech so it could be BS :wink: ) is that there are more than one ECU program for our cars. If they get the ECU they can read it and determine which program you have and make sure the chip is burned correctly.

If it makes you feel any better my Saleen was down for over a month waiting for a chip. This was due to the fact that it was the first 99 S281 they had done and they had to find what Saleen had changed on the ECU.

DHG Bullitt #05134
Vortech S Trim w/AFM Powerpipe
Bassani X-pipe w/cats
Steeda Tri-ax
4.10s
AIM 1.25" wheel spacers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Barnaby on 2001-11-20 22:55 ]</font>

·
Registered
714 Posts
Since we are on the subject of S/C's do you think your AFM powerpipe was a worthy add on and did you have to let Vortech know that you were planning on using one so they could burn your chip accordingly?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
On 2001-11-20 09:47, Bullitt#4660 wrote:
Since we are on the subject of S/C's do you think your AFM powerpipe was a worthy add on and did you have to let Vortech know that you were planning on using one so they could burn your chip accordingly?
It is typically worth about 2#s of boost, and no I did not tell them I had it. So the chip I have is a standard burn for them. BTW it is well worth the price. For one it gets rid of hte plastic tubing and 2. it adds boost.

·
Registered
65 Posts
On 2001-11-20 09:25, Bullitt#4660 wrote:
On 2001-11-19 17:16, Barnaby wrote:

If Vortech just burns a Superchip why did the dealer have to remove my computer and send it to Vortech? If that is the case I don't see why the chip can't come with the kit and save us the time of sending it up to Vortech. My car has been down 8 days now waiting for my ECU to come back from them and I LIVE in CA.

The reason for sending the comp to vortech is because they must recalibrate it to work w/ the vortech modual that they add.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
From what I understand they do nothing more to your ECU than clean the contacts and read it's code. They should not be altering the programming on it at all. That is what the chip is for.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The reason we take the ECU is to clean the contacts and put more solder on the leads. We then read the code of the ECU because the code on the tag located on your door panel could be incorrect. (It has happened) If you ever want to take the supercharger off, unplug the chip. Simple as that. This is the best way. :smile:
-Steve @ Vortech

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Forced on 2001-11-20 17:01 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve,what is the life span of your unit for the Bullitt,before rebuild? And how long will the stock pistons sustain 6-8 lbs. of boost?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks for the info Steve. By the way, I was supposed to pick up my Bullitt from Fairway Ford Sport and Performance this afternoon and they said that the fuel pump that was with the Vortech kit they installed on my car is no good, wasn't making enough pressure, and they have a new one coming in the morning. Is this common? I hope not because this is the 8th day they have had my car and my patience is wearing this with those guys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt#4660 on 2001-11-20 22:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have had people put over a 100,000 miles on our blowers with no problems. As for the pistons, we engineer our systems to run safely on stock vehicles. Some say we tune too conservatively, but hey, it keeps us out of court. I have not heard of Mustangs having a fuel pump problem. Mine runs OK :smile:
-Steve

·
Registered
714 Posts
Got my Bullitt back today from the shop after they installed the Vortech Bullitt kit. They said it was knocking badly at 4 pounds of boost at 4500 RPM and higher. They went ahead and changed the plugs, made no difference. Said Vortech is burning another chip for it with less aggresive timing and it will be in on Friday. Sounds to me like Vortech hasn't quite got the Bullitt figured out?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts