Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

superchips and octane???

1K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  DHG #1302 
#1 ·
just took #74 in w/ a check engine light. It came back w/ a code that said that 2 cylinders on each side were misfiring. The dealer is now suspecting the Superchip that they installed. It seems as though there is a TSB out that the new GT computers are unable to process anything but 87 and 89 octane. Per the TSB (according to my dealer) 92 octane can cause the engine all kinds of problems including stalling w/o warning. I have had this happen once, so I'm not completely uncovinced. If this is the case, we will not be able to bump up timimg much, and will be seriously limited from modifications. I'm wondering what everyone else thinks.

I would suspect that Paul's HP would be having a problem with the chip/kit they are working on, and I am also surprised that Steedas supercharged Bullitt is working, as I would expect that to run on premium as well.
????

#2 ·
I've got 7,300 miles and have used 91+ octane since day one. I have never experienced any problems, except when I tried a lower octane after using 91+ for so long, I did get some pinging under excessive load - went back to 91+ and problem went away.

#3 ·
It never ceases to amaze me. Dealers will spew any kind of bilge imagineable out of their pie holes if it will shut a customer up or get them off the hook. I have been running premium from day one with no issues at all. How can running higher octane gas cause problems? It doesn't make sense.

PS, If you can get a dealer to admit that he has a TSB regarding anything - you are one up on me!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CatSmasher on 2001-09-19 12:28 ]</font>

#4 ·
That makes no sense at all. I'm no gearhead, but, the new chip will "tell" the car to burn the higher octane gas efficiently. It's my understanding that if you burn the higher octane gas without a chip you may run into problems because the car will not burn the higher octane gas efficiently. The computer doesn't "know" you got 93 octane in there and doesn't burn it, leaving a residual. There's a lot of discusion throughout this forum about this subject.

#5 ·
I have been using premium 93 octane since I first bought #1994..it runs fine, no problems or issues whatsoever cold/hot/running/starting...I did try running 87 when I read others were being successful with their cars running it however, contary to others, mine runs like garbage on 87 and I can tell the difference big time... I have NO add's or mods to the car its 100% stock.. don't ask me why, one of the techs at the dealership seemed to feel the computer adjusted for it since thats what it came with and was run with for the first 25oo miles, and if I wanted to try to run regular 87 octane...I had to ''re-set" the computer

#6 ·
I am the same as the other Bullittoids....I have been running 92 Octane from the start and installed my SuperChips chip a month ago and nooooo problems. The only thing was that I was wasting my $$ on the Premium gas until the chip was installed! The chips are programed to run 91+ octane.I agree, your dealer is feeding you more crap than the Afghans are feeding our President!

#8 ·
Actually my dealer is being pretty cool about things. They took out the chip and asked me to drive it on 87 for a week or two and call them back. If the the computer doesn't throw out a code, they'll install the chip again. If all is okay, no problem, if it codes again they'll work with me, and the shop they used to burn the chip to find a solution. All that for free and they gave me an oil change today.

A bit of a hassle, but I challenge anyone to find a dealer more willing to work with me

#9 ·
I have been running 93 octane and a superchip burned by Performance Ford for 1,350 miles now. On occasion my idle will flucuate from 700 to 650 and back. I was suspecting a misfire but I've never gotten a check engine light. I've been to lazy take the chip out to see if it has any affect on the idle.

John

#11 ·
Blacksunshine, 16 degrees? Is it worth the risk? I have heard that 14 degrees should be the absolute max.

#13 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-19 20:30, TrueBlueBullitt wrote:
I have been running 93 octane and a superchip burned by Performance Ford for 1,350 miles now.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

John,
Would you recommend the chip from Performance Ford?

Jim

#14 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-21 12:20, DHG #1302 wrote:
On 2001-09-19 20:30, TrueBlueBullitt wrote:
I have been running 93 octane and a superchip burned by Performance Ford for 1,350 miles now.

John,
Would you recommend the chip from Performance Ford?

Jim
John...John...Is this thing on????

#19 ·
DHG#1302, sorry, I've been away for a few days. Yes, Performance Ford is a class outfit. When you call ask for Gene. He is the owner. Gene will spend all the time in the world on the phone with you to explain what chip does and how to install it.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.