Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I did the infamous contact cement repair to the door panels a couple of months ago and everything went well. However, I notice that over time the edges started coming loose again. I saw that another guy on the forum had used some mrmikes.com welt trim to fix this problem so I ordered some and installed them last night. It's a pretty simple install and a clean, almost factory look.
welt 1.jpg

welt 2.jpg

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Josh, I agree that this is a very simple and attractive upgrade. It is something that just looks good but is not flashy. I used the Green welt and it something that people see and know it's different and just can't "put their finger on it" until they compare it to another Mustang or someone points it out. As an added bouus, it can also hold the edges of the door panel in place.

This may be the "best bang for the buck" that you can make to a Mustang.

Reactions: pwd72s

·
Registered
50 Posts
I realize that this is an ancient thread, but I've just started having the vinyl door panel start pulling away.

Does anyone know if the MrMikes trim welt stuffed into the seem is enough friction to keep the vinyl in place?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
The welting helps to secure the edges in the groove, but does not solve the primary issue of the perforated vinyl above the elbow rest from pillowing out.
There is a thin foam piece behind the perforated vinyl above the elbow rest, which is soy plant based foam. Over time and heat, the soy foam degrades, causing the vinyl to come loose.
First, order the welting. Mr Mike's dark green, gray or silver are good matches for the Bullitt.
Get the tools, 3M 77 adhesive spray, super glue GELL, a wire brush, 3M scotchbrite gray and green pads and a thin blade narrow putty kniife or nylon trim tool, painters tape, rubbing alcohol, good scissors, razor knife and a large piece of cardboard. Select a cool shaded day, not above the 70's and have patience.
Gently peel off the perforated panel above the arm rest but do not go below the armrest into the narrow lower area. There is minimal foam in the narrow lower area below the armrest and the welting will greatly help there. Use the wire brush and scotchbrite on the plastic door panel to remove as much of the foam as possible. Use the scotchbrite pads to remove the foam residue from the perforated vinyl panel, using the cardboard as backing plate. Do not stretch the vinyl.
After removing as much of the degraded foam as possible, clean both the plastic and vinyl surfaces with the rubbing alcohol and let dry. Mask off the door panel with painter' tape and use the cardboard against the exterior vinyl. Apply the 3M 77 spray adhesive. Wear your fingers out to press the vinyl into place and use the thin edge tools to get the edges into the grooves.
Next, find out how much of the welting back edge strip needs to be cut off to give a flush mount. It is about 1/2. After the 3M 77 dries, experiment with the welting install. Start at the lower bottom middle, easier to cover up. Let it lay naturally in the channel. Give yourself extra at the end. Then lay the welting gently, with just a gentle pull, putting a dab of super glue GELL on the inside welting edge every inch or so, closer on the curves. At the junction, use the razor knife to trim before inserting. Have the rubbing alcohol and cloth towel handy to clean up any super glue external rubs.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
I’m an 01 owner but excellent info and thanks for posting. One never knows what Bullitt comes next!! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the detailed instructions! Not sure when I'll get to this particular project, but it's good to know I'm not blazing any trails here!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts