Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The original owner of my `08 Bullitt had the Ford dealer install lowering springs on it (1.5" drop) and perform a four-wheel alignment when the was delivered new in March of `08. I have the original springs and plan to have them put back on the car since I don't like how low it sits. I know that the M-5300-K lowering spring kit from Ford Performance was installed, but the original dealer no longer has detailed service records, so I don't know what else may have been swapped out. For instance, the M-5570-A jounce bumper kit and the M-18183-C strut mount upgrade kit are recommended when the M-5300-K kit is installed.

That said, I don't think those additional items were added, but if they were, would there be any harm in retaining the different jounce bumpers and strut mounts when the original springs are re-installed? I assume not, but I wanted to ask. I'm just trying to provide my local resto shop with as much info on what was done to the car before I drop it off next week to have the springs swapped.

Thanks!
Dr. Blank

Original Springs New in Box:
Glasses Automotive lighting Wood Coil spring Font

Existing Jounce Bumper and Shock:
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Short Circuit.

Yes, this car has only 5217 miles on it. It had 2907 when I bought it a year ago (last May), and the only reason it has so many more miles on it now than it did then was that I drove it from New Mexico home to Indiana when I bought it. Still has the original tires too....!

My guess is that the jounce bumpers and strut mounts are factory and that the dealer didn't swap those out when they did the springs. If they had been swapped, I would try to go back OEM when I have the springs done, as you indicate that wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi pwd72s,

Thanks for the article. I've been thinking about changing the tires on this car, and you've convinced me. I know driving some 1900 miles on them last year was kinda nutz, but that's past and thankfully went fine. Even though I don't plan to drive this car a ton (I expect it will take me eight to ten years to see it up to 10k), there's no reason to risk damage to the car or injury should an old tire fail.

Now I gotta re-read all the tire threads here lol and besides, the TPS have been acting up since I bought the thing, so I need to get those looked at/replaced anyhow.

Ciao!
D.B.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got new tires delivered from Tire Rack to my local shop (Firestone Indy 500 Firehawks, original size). Gonna have the tires, springs, and pressure sensors all replaced Thursday.

My question: in anyone's opinion, is there any good reason to hold onto the original tires? They look so damn good I hate to just pitch them, but for obvious reasons discussed above, they really shouldn't be in service ever again. I mean, I doubt just having them would add value to my car overall, and I won't be putting them back on it. Of course, they could hang in the garage just for the hell of it...I'm sure my old lady would LOVE that LoL

D.B.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great ideas!

I believe the shop is planning to go with the valve stem style TPMS sensors, but I'll be sure they do.

I love the coffee table idea. How did you get the spare wheel? Swap meet or something?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Tossass4370,

Thanks for the detailed input. Offering the tires for sale through MCA is no doubt the best idea. I'll probably do that. Better for them to see some sort of use rather than the junk pile.

Regarding the GT500 strut mounts, do you mean these ones from Ford Performance?

I'll contact my local Ford dealer about the spring perches and the jounce bumpers. I haven't done any research on the existing OEM struts or springs, but I'll dig into that as well.

Thanks!!
D.B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts