Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade my sway bars,what size are they and would it be better to change to bigger or just change the bushing.Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Upgrading to Urathane bushings may help a little/marginally, but I don't feel you would really notice it much. The FRPP (made by Eibach for Ford) anti-sway bars would be a real step up. If you go with them, set the front swaybar to the middle setting (there are three holes on the ends) these are used to adjust the amount of "Anti-sway" in the fromt. You should also have a four wheel alignment done also just to be on the safe side. I have the FRPP Anti-sway bars and the matching lowering springs with the Eibach Pro Damper (Struts/Shocks) on my '05 GT. Big difference in it. May add the sway bars to my Bullitt eventually.

My two cents.......

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
This may sound stupid, but I didn't think there were any REAR alignment adjustments to be made to an otherwise stock S197?

·
Registered
969 Posts
line em up

i too have never heard of a rear wheel alignment. the only adjustments i am familiar with on the rear of the car is having the rear end centered, or changing the pinon angle via the uca, or the lca's, or both. centering the rear end can be done via an adjustable panhard bar. also, if you remove the panhard bar and brace to install a watts link, you can center the rear end before tightening down the watts link. i am open to know more about this subject.

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
Four-Wheel Alignments

<CENTER>
There are two main types of 4-wheel alignments. In each case, the technician will place an instrument on all four wheels. In the first type the rear toe and tracking is checked, but all adjustments are made at the front wheels. This is done on vehicles that do not have adjustments on the rear. The second type is a full 4-wheel alignment where the adjustments are first made to true up the rear alignment, then the front is adjusted. A full 4-wheel alignment will cost more than the other type because there is more work involved.

Full Story.
http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm

Another Write-up
http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/2470T/index.htm

</CENTER>

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks to Bullitt 736 for the Explanation I forgot to give. Most alignment places do the 4 wheel alignment which focuses on the front adjustments. But most all IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) equipped cars (Mustang Cobras, Corvettes, 280/300/350Z, RX7/8s, etc) will have a full 4 wheel alignment. I had a '85 Turbo 300ZX that wore the rear tires out in only 10k miles due to the rear end being out of alignment from the factory. I had not realized the car (including my '81 280ZX) had a rear alignment adjustability. NTB did a full 4 wheel alignment on the 280ZX when I bought it (used) and had new tires put on since the OEM ones (18K miles) were wearing badly, but they did not tell me they were doing it on that car. Not until the 300ZX did I know about the 4 wheel alignment issue.

Either way, go to a reputable tire dealer, alignment shop or Ford dealer to get your alignments. They will check your rearend to make sure everything is in working order and no damage has occurred to your suspension. Even the OEM fixed Pan Hard Bar can be out of adjustment, but can be adjusted slightly. I know...no true adjustment, but the alignment tech can loosen the bolts on the Pan Hard Bar and it will move marginally. This is what was done to my '05 GT when I had the FRPP suspension kit installed. By loosening the bolts on PHB and then letting the car rest on the new lowered suspension, check the alignment, make adjustments to the front and re-tighten the bolts on the PHB. Some cars this will not work as well as it did on mine since I had the FRPP suspension installed after only 1k miles on it. Many will need an adjustable PHB and possibly an adjustable upper link. Just the facts of my experience. Others may vary......

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info,but do we know what size are the sway bars or where i can find that info?,,,thanks

·
Registered
969 Posts
shane,
if you like, try this...go to www.stranoparts.com and get the phone number and call up sam strano. sam knows all about the factory sway bars and can assist you in replacing/upgrading if you like. sam's a good guy and he will work with what you are wanting to do. his prices are great too. good luck, brother.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sure thing... happy to help. Upgrading the bushings is largely a waste. The stock bushings aren't exactly super soft. And the front bar only uses bushings to mount the bar (and there is more flex in the bracket than the bushing.

Further, bushings do not make the bar any stiffer. They would make them react every so slighly more quickly--but the difference is realistically quite small. And bushing will not change the balance or the amount of roll you get since they don't change the bar stiffness and therefore the wheel rate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts