Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Sweet sounding stock exhaust...

1K views 19 replies 20 participants last post by  mustang 1 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am with the majority of you in that when I have a new car I want it to breathe and exhale better than stock immediately (a notable example was my 97 Cobra with Borla cat back). I must say, however, that the sound of the Bullitt is impossible to improve upon and I don't think I want to mess with it, regardless of the possible performance gains (and lately I've been reading that exhaust systems on this car may or may not improve performance depending on the entire system). How many of you are equally entranced by the sweet, sublime Bullitt sound?

#2 ·
Dude
I drove all the way from Atlanta today to Virginia Beach with the radio/CD in the OFF position..... That exhaust note is like music maybe better..... We should make CD of the exhaust sound like the ocean ones my wife has.... And make big bucks selling them at Interstate Stop and Goes.

#3 ·
The sound is music to my ears. I had a 1998 Vette with a PRT catback system on it. The Bullitt has it beat hands down and it didn't cost $1000.00 to boot

#4 ·
I'm in total agreement Dennis. I'm kinda shocked when I see people replacing the WHOLE exhaust system, including the catback.

I might consider a high-flow catted H pipe like a BBK in the future, but it's doubtful. I love the stock sound and I'm afraid to lose it for 5hp.

#5 ·
I agree with all of you. I have barely used the radio/cd system. By the way, whats it like riding in the Bullitt with the windows up? I figure I'll be forced into it by November unless I come up with a way to keep more heat in. Maybe I can design an "air curtain" of heat like the grocery stores have to keep the cold in the open freezers!

#8 ·
I wasn't all that crazy about the sound of the exhaust until I added the densecharger. It's absolutely beautiful now. Deep, throaty with a slight gurgle around town and a screaming Banshee in the upper rpms. Love to down shift to third doing around 60mph on the freeway. What a sound! I'll never change any part of this exhaust.

#9 ·
Schmedlap:

You'll find that it is wonderful even with the windows up!!! You hear parts of it more clearly, parts of it differently, as it resonates through the car. Much as I love having the windows down in this car, it does sound great even with them up.

Joe

#12 ·
My favorite thing about the exhaust is that at moderate highway speeds (70-80) you can leave it in fourth and hear the music or shift to fifth and it quiets-down for long distance cruising. When I first got the car I was afraid it would drone on longer trips, but even my wife doesn't complain.

#14 ·
My husband drives the Bullitt most of the time so when he pulls in at night, I have him rev the engine a couple of times (not good to do, I've heard, but I love the sound). There is nothing better than a good sounding exhaust and the Bullitt's is fantastic! Then after shutting down, he asks when he'll get a turn to hear it!!!

#16 ·
I belong to a sort of Mustang club @ Ford in Cleveland, and Everyone, without exception, is totally impressed with the sound of my Bullitt. Especially when the RPM's get going. There is a good variety of stangs in our little club too. (69,70, 2 86's, and many Cobras from all years.) This car of ours sounds magnificent!!! Turns heads too. They're all a little jealous too. I can tell. I love it!!

#18 ·
I would concur the stock set up sounds good. But as soon as my Mac Off Road H pipe went on, it sounds great. Very rumblly at low rpms, but when you stomp on it, holly hell it sounds like a classiss hot rod should sounds like. Very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.