Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just posting this for future reference of those that do the T3650 to T56 Swap.

D&D does not provide the pigtail (connector) for the Reverse Lockout Solenoid on the T56 that you buy from them. They told me they would send me one (twice) and never did.

It is a GM part # 12101857 and AC Delco part # PT249.

The cheapest I found it was at Rockauto.com for 14.00 + shipping (22.48 total for me). If you buy it from GM it is around 30.00.
You can probably find the AC Delco part at Autozone cheaper, but I am too lazy to drive there and it is too far away from where I live.

Also, FYI - you can do without it if you want. You can still shift into reverse without it but it takes a bit of effort (2 hands) to move the shift lever hard enough to depress the spring in the solenoid. This will not hurt anything and you can continue to do this all you want if that's the way you want to go.

Another option is to replace the spring in the solenoid itself to a weaker spring (but that kinda defeats the purpose of the lockout)!

Most peep's just wire it to their brake switch and I guess that is OK, but I chose not to because I could not see the purpose of activating the Reverse Lockout Solenoid every time I hit the brakes while driving! I think it would cause it to fail prematurely.

In a previous post I told how I purchased a Convertible Top Switch that fits in the Coin Holder location and is a 2 way momentary. I wired it for only one way and sanded off the picture of the car with the top halfway down and the words "Set Parking Brake" and installed it by wiring it into the Cigarette Lighter +12vdc wire. The other side goes to one pin on the solenoid. The other pin on the solenoid just goes to ground anywhere. Now I just push this button on my console when I want to go into reverse. It still takes two hands.....one to hold the button and one to shift the trans, but it certainly is easier that using two hands on the stick to force the solenoid spring in to get to reverse.

What would be REALLY nice is if we could find a Corvette type shift handle with the "T" slider under the ball that de-activates the reverse lockout. I have found a lot of these that are after market but the "T" is not really operational, only for appearance purposes. Bummer.......

There is a couple more options for those that are interested:
The Hurst "T" Handle with button. You would also have to get a Hurst Stalk (shifter arm) that is hollow for the wire to go down into the console area. This may or may not make the shifter weaker, I don't know. I did not consider this option as I did not like the Hurst "T" handle at all. I feel that the Ball Knob is the only way to go on the Bullitt.

There are also other after market shift knobs with buttons that are normally used for nitrous, line locks, etc...that could be used.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Thanks for the info.
What does it connect to in the Cobra ?
I drove an 04 Cobra for 2 days and did not have to press or hold anything. How dod they do it on that

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question Bob........

I don't know the answer for that, but I can speculate........

The T56 that I bought from D&D is an after market transmission. It is a GM Transmission with a Ford tail on it. The tail even has "Ford" cast into it.

The Transmission in the 04 Cobra is most likely a complete Ford Part.

They are both the same but different. Does that make sense?

Maybe some one else (who owns an 04 Cobra) can answer your question.

I really only posted this info as an archive of part numbers and options for those that do the T3650 - T56 change out as I did.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great!.........

Too bad I had no knowledge of that when I did mine........

Also, too bad D&D does not know about this and could have recommended it to me!

Anyway, thanks for that info and I will order one for myself if my switch ever gives out.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
no prob! sorry i havent been on in a while to spread the info!!! been super busy!!!!

hope all you fellow bullittheads are doin well!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts