Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always liked the tinted tail light look on a mustang and ordered a set off of ebay from Xtreme Vinyls. They were $21.00 shipped. They are 20% tint pre-cut with the reverse light cut out (they are availabe without the cut-out, but I didn't want to sacrifice my reverse beam). I started to call around to see if a tint shop could install it easier than myself, but I got ranges from $40-120...So, here comes a do-it-yourself.

Me and my fiancee worked on it tonight and if you follow the directions, it really was not that bad. The key ingredient was heat from a blowdryer that softened the vinyl and allowed it to be stretched over corners and for creases/bubbles to be stretched and massaged out.

I think this is the perfect darkness because it allows plenty of light to escape when the lights are on while looking almost blacked out with them off. I also like the smoothness of the finish unlike the VHT spray tint that eventually looks chalky unless you keep it up with some coats of clear coat. But I can just take mine off I I get a fix-it ticket from the cops. Here are some pictures of the final product with comparison shots:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, heat it up and pull it off. However, it will not go back on after you take it off. You would have to re-purchase more tint. I really can't see getting stopped for them because light shines through very bright when the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did the vht nightshades paint on mine and it turned out really well but the clear coat ran so I have one bad spot! Probably woulda done the tint if I had found it! Anyway looks great man! Are you gonna do the 3rd brake light too?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I do plan on tinting the 3rd brake light. However, I need to wet sand it and polish out all of the scractches first. Then I will tint them. I also might try to tint the back side reflectors that are also red. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4fit? said:
I purchased the tint from eBay a while back and hated it. Didn't fit worth ^&[email protected] I'm having one of our club members that owns a body shop spray mine with tinted clear.
Mine was not a "perfect" fit, but it was oversized for a reason. When you heat up the tint, you stretch it to get wrinkles out of it and around the edges. Then you use a razorblade to cut the excess off. I you have patience, which it takes a lot, it will come out near to perfect.

Maybe you got bad tint...mine was a vinyl type of tint. I got it from eBay from "Xtreme Vinyls"

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have tail light tint on mine and on the reflectors. I bought mine at www.stickercity.com I was going to attempt the 3rd brake light as well but never got around to it. or tried and it turned out like crap. Im sure i have pics but havent paid up in a while so I cant post any pics..

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
austin101385 said:
I have always liked the tinted tail light look on a mustang and ordered a set off of ebay from Xtreme Vinyls. They were $21.00 shipped. They are 20% tint pre-cut with the reverse light cut out (they are availabe without the cut-out, but I didn't want to sacrifice my reverse beam). I started to call around to see if a tint shop could install it easier than myself, but I got ranges from $40-120...So, here comes a do-it-yourself.

Me and my fiancee worked on it tonight and if you follow the directions, it really was not that bad. The key ingredient was heat from a blowdryer that softened the vinyl and allowed it to be stretched over corners and for creases/bubbles to be stretched and massaged out.

I think this is the perfect darkness because it allows plenty of light to escape when the lights are on while looking almost blacked out with them off. I also like the smoothness of the finish unlike the VHT spray tint that eventually looks chalky unless you keep it up with some coats of clear coat. But I can just take mine off I I get a fix-it ticket from the cops. Here are some pictures of the final product with comparison shots:

Tint looks great. I'm just waiting now for someone to have a remark about the hottie with the hair dryer...:lol: :lol: :p

·
Registered
182 Posts
austin101385 said:
Yeah, I do plan on tinting the 3rd brake light. However, I need to wet sand it and polish out all of the scractches first. Then I will tint them. I also might try to tint the back side reflectors that are also red. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sounds good man! I have to re-sand all my lights b/c the clearcoat ran so tint woulda prolly been a lot easier! Post some more pics whenever you finish!

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Looks great dude, i've got the same thing but mine came from autobadges.com

·
Registered
922 Posts
Looks good! But be glad you don't live out here in CA cuz you would get ticketed for that for sure.

A friend of mine got nabbed for tinting his Cobra's tails and the fix-a-ticket fine would have been well over $300. So we ended up trading tail lights for a day and he went and got it signed off. lol

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
VCal-Bullitt2567 said:
So do you apply the tint on the outside or inside of the tail light lenses?? I might try this, looks good.
To my knowledge you can't get to the inside of your tail lights.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,301 Posts
I like it. I wonder if anyone has done an '08?

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
I made templates from paper and cut them out of cling tint from Wal-Mart. They are removable and reapplyable (is that a word?) A whole roll only ran 12 bucks. Use a spray bottle with water/dishwashing detergent combo and a credit card. No problem. No heat used.

I did my headlights the same way. Those are harder to do.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, they go on the outside. We don't have car inspections in South Carolina, so we can usually do almost anything that is not too extreme (5% tint, but I still see lots of ppl with them).

I am going to try my Walmart tint on my third brake light and see how it goes...the heat seemed like it helped the tint stretch to get the wrinkles out. I tried it on the tail lights and got too frustruated so I bought the pre-cut tint

1 - 19 of 19 Posts