Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor,who owns a 2007 GT,wants to run his for the first time. So I will be there to help him,and why not run the Bullitt too. I haven't run the Bullitt,since adding the headers,MAC exhaust and tune, added two years ago.
Yesterday I hooked up the LM-1 A/F meter to check the tune. Good idea,since the data showed that it went rich at over 3500 RPM WOT in 3rd gear. Rich being a gradual drop into the 12.2-12 teens.
So plugged in the SCT programmer and leaned it out 2%. Made another run and now back into the high 12.8's with a flatter curve.
You have to have those electronic tools to keep your Bullitt in top form!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good luck to you and I hope it turns out to be a great day at the track for ya. Still haven't made it to the track myself. Working retail I don't get many friday's off. Let us know what you and your friend run!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a great time at the strip,even though the track was typical July hot and slick for street tires. Managed to run a few 13.8s at 102.7 MPH. For some reason,maybe weather/track conditions,or tune,the Kooks headers and MAC setup didn't get to show their stuff.
However I never saw the tailights of my buddy's 2007 Mustang GT either,which has a custom tune and a Borla cat back! Now it took him a few runs to get used to racing and applying the Mustang's power to the track,but his best ET and speed was a 14.20 at 101.4. We ran 3 runs together,with the old Bullitt showing the lead all the time.
So all things considered the "old" Bullitt didn't do bad at all!
Hey,a guy had a new Roush 427 Mustang, only managed a 14.20 at 101MPH, plus a 2002 Z-06 for some reason only managed a slow 14.10 at 102!! Track conditions equal for everyone!

·
Registered
49 Posts
So what all do you have done to your car. Haven't been able to get out to the track but I'm trying to get an idea of what I can expect. I'm used to racing a FWD 2.0L RSX so It's gonna take some time to learn to launch without spinning all over the place (alot more power :toocool:). I'm hoping to be in the 13's but I'm not sure.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mods...3.73 gear...functional Bullitt hood scoop with KN filter, Steeda underdrive pulley setup, Kook's long tube headers and MAC catback, SCT box tune for 93 Octane,Bridgestone Potenza RE-OR1 tires 245x45x17 all around. My sig. shows the best time without the headers or catback under better track conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Take it back at in October. My car did not respond like I wanted it to after the headers. I went out and basically clicked off what I had without headers. The only difference, it was in the heat, under less than optimal conditions. Went back when it was a little cooler and managed to knock 2/10ths off vs. before the headers. I bet yours does the exact same.

I still have never gotten back to the track since it was tuned.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did your MPH go up with the headers,when run under better conditions? That would indicate a horsepower increase.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mus408 said:
Mods...3.73 gear...functional Bullitt hood scoop with KN filter, Steeda underdrive pulley setup, Kook's long tube headers and MAC catback, SCT box tune for 93 Octane,Bridgestone Potenza RE-OR1 tires 245x45x17 all around. My sig. shows the best time without the headers or catback under better track conditions.
Well I don't have the headers but I have a few questions about the sections in bold (if you don't mind answering a few :smile: )

As for now I have:
MAC Flow Path weld-in mufflers
Bassani O/R X-pipe
Diablosport Predator tune

First when you say you have a "functional" hood scoop is it cut out in the honeycomb or a replacement? (sorry for being ignorant but I'm new to mustangs as well as the bullitt)

Second
I was under the impression that the bullitt came with a factory UD pulley setup; is this true and if so is the steeda setup a big improvement.

Great times by the way. If you get back in better weather conditions I'm sure you will see some great numbers.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Mus408 said:
Did your MPH go up with the headers,when run under better conditions? That would indicate a horsepower increase.
The car had run a best of about 102.5 under good conditions before the headers. It ran 102.81 after the headers in 88-90 degree air, and turned around and ran 103.90 and 104.21 the next week in 50-some degree air. I didn't run it for quite some time after that. The last run out I did manage a 104.80mph with no back seat.

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
Mus, please tell me more about the LM-1 A/F meter. thanx.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nadaklu said:
First when you say you have a "functional" hood scoop is it cut out in the honeycomb or a replacement? (sorry for being ignorant but I'm new to mustangs as well as the bullitt)

Second
I was under the impression that the bullitt came with a factory UD pulley setup; is this true and if so is the steeda setup a big improvement.

Great times by the way. If you get back in better weather conditions I'm sure you will see some great numbers.
The Bullitt Ram-Air setup is a project I did back in late 2002. I basically made a sealed pan combined with a modified Bullitt air filter box,and stock Bullitt scoop opened up,with a vacuum operated air/flap door like the 1968-70 CJ Mustangs. Did it mostly for the retro/coolness factor and maybe a HP or two. The pictures of it are buried somewhere on IMBOC.
The Steeda pulley setup offers a little more underdrive ratio than the stock Bullitt setup,I could feel a difference in how quick the engine would rev up.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frankenstang said:
Mus, please tell me more about the LM-1 A/F meter. thanx.
Made by Innovate,the LM-1 is an accurate wide band Air Fuel Ratio meter,that gives you real time readings of your average A/F ratio. It is used on many chassis and engine dyno setups. A good tool to have for EFI and carb tuning!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
01GTB said:
The car had run a best of about 102.5 under good conditions before the headers. It ran 102.81 after the headers in 88-90 degree air, and turned around and ran 103.90 and 104.21 the next week in 50-some degree air. I didn't run it for quite some time after that. The last run out I did manage a 104.80mph with no back seat.
That is the performance increase I was looking for. If I run it again,it will be in October,the following weekend of the NHRA Nats. The track will be very sticky after that.
Last year,at that time,the F.A.S.T boys had an event there and Dave Dudeck ran an amazing 10.89 in a 1969 Hemi Roadrunner,with the stock iron exhaust manifolds,and skinny OEM type F-70-15 bias ply tires,with a 4 speed!! Those FAST cars and Pure Stock muscle cars, are something to watch!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mus408 said:
The Bullitt Ram-Air setup is a project I did back in late 2002. I basically made a sealed pan combined with a modified Bullitt air filter box,and stock Bullitt scoop opened up,with a vacuum operated air/flap door like the 1968-70 CJ Mustangs. Did it mostly for the retro/coolness factor and maybe a HP or two. The pictures of it are buried somewhere on IMBOC.
The Steeda pulley setup offers a little more underdrive ratio than the stock Bullitt setup,I could feel a difference in how quick the engine would rev up.
Thanks. I found the pictures of the scoop setup. Looks professionally done; very good job! Be a while before I can tackle a project like that. Thought about drilling out the honeycomb just for heat extraction and moving some air over the intake but I'm not sure if there would be any issues with water and my biggest worry is wind getting underneath it at 70+ on the highway. I might look into the steeda UD pulleys though. Difficult install?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts