Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha all,

I know this will be an unpopular idea but I am not going to lower my car.
Instead, I want to go more towards the retro look and am looking for tires that more closely resemble the old Muscle car bias ply tires of days gone by.
Of course I want radials but I am talking about the new generation tires that are all low profile which I don't like on a muscle car.
I know they are much better for handling and by going to a taller tire I will loose performance in the twisties but that's not what I am going for.
I would like to get closer to the old 15" wheel and tire setup from the 60's and 70's.

Now I could go to a 15" retro rim and find tons of tires for my purpose but I prefer the stock 18" wheels.
So here's my question to any tire experts out there. Do any of you know of an 18" tire brand that has a taller sidewall option?
This is a DD so drag tires are not an option for me.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Lots of the GT500 guys run 28" tires, front and rear. And are lowered too. But most are on 19" and 20" wheels...

I personally love the look if it's also lowered, but filling out the wheel wells in any way is a very good thing in the looks department in my opinion.

For the stock wheels you can run a 275/45/18 - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSportContact+2&partnum=745YR8SPC2

Which is the max width acceptable for a 8.5" wheel. AND ONLY BECAUSE OF THE TALLER SIDEWALL.

I'm about 90% sure they'll clear the front and 100% sure about the rear....

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Gregg, I was wondering the same thing if you find any let me know . Was looking to fill up the wheel well without slaming the car.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
I think I would go along with Post #2

Call The Tire Rack and tell them what you are wanting to do.

They have the software and can simply punch a few buttons. and give you the options.

I know I am going with whatever the Largest Size Tires that will work on our Stock Wheels

as soon as I change Tires.

I have seen the tire sizes on The Tire Rack that is in Post #2

I cannot recall though if that was Front & Rear for the 275's

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Gregg,

Well, I knew there was something we had in common, besides the obvious....I am a fan of old school jacked up ass end, the whole deal. And while I have seen a ton of Mustangs lowered, and they look good, it is not for me. As a matter of fact, I am still trying to find an old "hijacker" sticker from my back window. You remember, the one that came with the Hijacker air shocks we all ran back in the 60's...the one with the jacked up Rabbit on it....I need that sticker....

Anyway, these are on my 05. The rims are 20's, 8.5's up front, and 10's out back. Tires are Toyo Proxes S/T's....255 x 40 up front, and 295 x 40 out back....stock suspension all around....

Old school FTW!!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Easystreet said:
GotOatz,

That looks amazing.
Jason, thank you. It is appreciated....The other thing I worry about as far as lowering....

If you look at the pic of my 05 in our signature, that picture was taken by Rocky during our St. Patricks Day cruise. That is the only pic I have of my 05 under power...If you look at it, look at how the rear wheel gap is next to nothing, and you can see the front end lifting....Here's the thing. If I was under hard power, I would worry about the rear body making contact with the tires...And this was not really under hard accel, just moderate...If the rear does not spin when I shift into second, it squats a ton......I don't want to have to worry about that....

Thanks again for the kudos, we appreciate it.....

Mike and Karen

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
tigerhonaker said:
Mike,

I just Never-Ever get tired of Viewing your Car :clap:

It is One-Bad-Machine IMHO :smile:

tigerhonaker
Thank you kind sir...

It is so nice to have the 05 as the test mule, all the while having the Bullitt as the sleeper.....Life can be SO good at times.....

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh man Mike,

Serious Mustang wood!! If you are running 20" all around and 40 series tires, how are you getting that much jack in the back? Maybe it's just an illusion but the rear end looks way higher than the front and man do I love it!

I want to keep my stock wheels but I'm starting to think that a Bullitt Anthracite 20" is going to be the way to go.

I'm assuming by the responses that there is not a 60 series tire available for our 18's. Sounds like 45 is as tall as I'm going to get if I stay at 18.

Rick, I am going to keep checking and will let you know if I find anything.

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
jymontoya said:
Lots of the GT500 guys run 28" tires, front and rear. And are lowered too. But most are on 19" and 20" wheels...

I personally love the look if it's also lowered, but filling out the wheel wells in any way is a very good thing in the looks department in my opinion.

For the stock wheels you can run a 275/45/18 - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSportContact+2&partnum=745YR8SPC2

Which is the max width acceptable for a 8.5" wheel. AND ONLY BECAUSE OF THE TALLER SIDEWALL.

I'm about 90% sure they'll clear the front and 100% sure about the rear....
Thanks for the info,

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Loop said:
Oh man Mike,

Serious Mustang wood!! If you are running 20" all around and 40 series tires, how are you getting that much jack in the back? Maybe it's just an illusion but the rear end looks way higher than the front and man do I love it!

I want to keep my stock wheels but I'm starting to think that a Bullitt Anthracite 20" is going to be the way to go.

I'm assuming by the responses that there is not a 60 series tire available for our 18's. Sounds like 45 is as tall as I'm going to get if I stay at 18.

Rick, I am going to keep checking and will let you know if I find anything.

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated!!
Hey Gregg,
Well, part of it is the illusion due to the GT500 spoiler...but make no mistake, it sits way up there with the 40 series on.....it sits almost a half a taillight taller....

here are a couple of comparisions for you.....

This is with Karen's on one side, and Jim's on the other......

And this one is the first day Karen's came home.....

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So,

Since you're running the 10's in back and the 8.5's up front, you can't rotate them anyway.

I wonder what it would look like if I went 18X8.5 up front and 20X10 in the back?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I love the look of that car. That is the stance a muscle car is supposed to have. Nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts