Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've put it off since I've had the car, but now I have to ask. What is the best way to remove the little square tape residue spots on the brushed aluminum outer edges of the Euroflange wheels? The spots are where the colored (red,yellow,etc.)pieces of tape had been applied at the factory (for what reason, who knows). What's the best thing to use? I've avoided it because I didn't want to risk damaging the wheel. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I do a lot of painting, so I would use any of the paint prep products such as "Prep Sol" which is actually a grease and wax remover. It won't harm paint, but will take off any wax along with the residue.
Bruce

·
39,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brucebotti said:
I do a lot of painting, so I would use any of the paint prep products such as "Prep Sol" which is actually a grease and wax remover. It won't harm paint, but will take off any wax along with the residue.
Bruce
Thanks heaps. While I'm at it, this summer we stopped at a convenience store and didn't realize until later that the parking lot had been recently sealed and apparently some of the sealer wasn't dry. I faired worse than the wife and smeared the nice, bright "Ford" in the center of my rubber floor mats. I've tried everything I could think of (including fingernail polish remover) and nothing seems to take the brownish smear off of that white. Do you think the Prep Sol would work on that too?

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Prep Sol (or PreCleanO) works wonders. It should be in anybody who details a car's supply. Stickers, grease, old wax, tar, even some light overspray will come off.

·
39,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
texasbullitt said:
lighter fluid works ..... ;-)
You talking about lighter fluid for the smeared rubber mat, Mark?

·
39,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
texasbullitt said:
FOR BOTH THE WHEELS AND RUBBER MATS

wont do crap if mats carpeted though
No, no carpet, they're thick rubber mats with a Ford logo in the center that I picked up at an AutoZone. Everytime I look down and see the brown smear I get sick. Thanks for the tip, Mark. I'll let you know how it works.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,297 Posts
StvMcQueen said:
Thanks heaps. While I'm at it, this summer we stopped at a convenience store and didn't realize until later that the parking lot had been recently sealed and apparently some of the sealer wasn't dry. I faired worse than the wife and smeared the nice, bright "Ford" in the center of my rubber floor mats. I've tried everything I could think of (including fingernail polish remover) and nothing seems to take the brownish smear off of that white. Do you think the Prep Sol would work on that too?
Jim, at work when a kid takes an ink pen and writes all over the counters, we take hair spray and remove it. Also hand sanitizer works great! If all fails, try those too.

·
39,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TwoStangWmn said:
Jim, at work when a kid takes an ink pen and writes all over the counters, we take hair spray and remove it. Also hand sanitizer works great! If all fails, try those too.
Thanks, Vicki, I will. What I should've done was walk inside the convenience store and STRANGLE the proprietor!
:lol:

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
StvMcQueen said:
You can try the Prep Sol on the mat, but if the finger nail polish remover (which is actually Acetone) didn't remove it, the Prep Sol likely won't. I'm surprised the nail polish remover didn't discolor the mats. Acetone is very aggressive like lacquer thinner.
Bruce

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
watch using finger nail polish remover which also means watch acetone. it will remove paint. lacquer thinner won't but acetone will immediately.

·
39,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frankenstang said:
watch using finger nail polish remover which also means watch acetone. it will remove paint. lacquer thinner won't but acetone will immediately.
Believe me, I was SUPER CAREFUL with the nail polish remover (and frankly astounded when it didn't take the crap off). I'll try the Tough Stuff and the lighter fluid and see what happens. AutoZone might be selling some new mats. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Thanks to all.

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
Since its a rubber mat, you could try WD-40 too. I use it to remove oil drips or spills from the cement floor in my garage and it works really well. I bet it would work. I have also used Oxy-clean in laundry detergent to get tar spots out of my carpeted floor mats, after the employer decided to tar and pebble the parking lot. That worked really good, was surprised at how well it worked, not only cleaned out the tar, but also the dirt/salt mix from the winter months.

·
39,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ZBullitt said:
Since its a rubber mat, you could try WD-40 too. I use it to remove oil drips or spills from the cement floor in my garage and it works really well. I bet it would work. I have also used Oxy-clean in laundry detergent to get tar spots out of my carpeted floor mats, after the employer decided to tar and pebble the parking lot. That worked really good, was surprised at how well it worked, not only cleaned out the tar, but also the dirt/salt mix from the winter months.
Well, so much for WD-40. No go. Made it a little better, but still light brown along the top of the big "F." I'm starting to think it's "new mats" or look at brown. One thing, Hank Hill will NOT be happy with this! :lol:

"What do you mean,
the WD-40 didn't work?"

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Where can you buy Prep Sol?

BigBullitt said:
Prep Sol (or PreCleanO) works wonders. It should be in anybody who details a car's supply. Stickers, grease, old wax, tar, even some light overspray will come off.
Sounds like something that would be good to have. Where can it be purchased?

·
39,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rockola said:
I Used zippo fluid on a rag.
I'm going with the zippo fluid next. Been so busy I haven't had time to fool with it. I also had an "emergency" touch-up to do, and I thank God for TurtleWax rubbing compound and Mequiar's NXT. Horrid looking front wheel well scratches are now as if they never happened. Pesky "narrow" garage door opening, anyway!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts