Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this alittle over a year ago.

Bullitt 736 said:
I had my car in the shop last week. When the car is fully warmed up there is a very metallic tapping sound coming from under the front wheel well on the driver side at about 2000 rpm. It started off sounding like an exhaust leak but has gotten worse. The first tech heard nothing (deaf or did not listen????)

The Service Manager and I took a ride around the parking lot. He faintly heard it. We then pulled between some cars and it echoed enough that there was no question. They took it back to the service area and had three techs look at it. They do not believe it is coming from the engine. They believe it is in the H pipe but not sure. They did not have another Bullitt to listen to. They sent me home, said not to worry, and to listen to some other '08 Bullitts since I was going to be at a GTG last weekend. My fellow Bullittheads did hear it. Wayne's '08 make no such sound.

I let the dealership know. They did find a TSB about noise coming from a spacer plate between the motor and tranny. I will be taking it back Monday or Tuesday. I am slightly concerned since the Shootout is coming up but they reiterated there is no problem with the engine. At least its under warranty. Stay tuned for more info.

It would be nice if our Ford exhaust guru could post up if there is anything in the exhaust that could be making this noise.
I took it back shortly after the first visit. The Shop Foreman said he listened to another Bullitt and it was normal. He was wrong but and he's also gone now.

The car is back at the same dealership. They understood my complaints about my previous visits and promised to rectify the problem. They had the tech ride with me and he agreed it was abnormal after hearing it. They checked it out yesterday and found nothing. A Ford Tech will be in tomorrow to check the car and see what he can come up with. There may be hope. I will post up when I know more.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It's one of the Oompah-Loompahs that Ford uses for post-assembly touchups - he's gotten stuck in there, and wants you to let him out.............

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Long shot here, Some guys on the site had a exhaust rattle when warmed up due to expansion.Warm it up have them put it on a lift and manipulate exhaust system maybe its hitting someplace.As I said long shot but worth a try.

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer called today. The Ford tech is stumped. There is a TSB for the plate between the tranny and block on earlier S197's rattling at that RPM but it supposedly does it when cold and not fully warmed up. They have ordered the plate and will replace it to see if that fixes it. Its just their guess at this point.

He was supposedly very thorough and elimated the exhaust possibilty. I sent them a link to a thread on another site that addressed the plate ratlle, the TSB and also referenced exhaust issues others had. Apparently they're interested in any info I can send them.

I will pick up the car today and wait on the part to come in and go back.

More to come.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Tapping Noise

Chuck;

If the new plate doesn't solve the problem, I'd like to suggest the following:

Try using one of those stethescopes they sell for pinpointing this type of problem and place it or a 2 x 2 on the suspected valve cover and listen through it to see if the tapping noise is more evident coming from the valvetrain part of the head. If so, then I'd say you got some rocker problems somehow and if you tear in to it try to see of there is a casting flaw in the cam keeper saddles (using a simple straight edge or a small carpenters square will tell you if anything is warped) as well as the other various components of the valvetrain. Chances are you might have received some bad parts from the factory ... (???) :confused:

I do remember hearing the noise coming from your car not too long after you first got it. Sorry to hear it is still a problem. :mad:

You might point out your build number if Ford is seeking information from you. Whatever the problem is might have been passed through an entire run of several builds both before and after yours. :confused:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
duaneproctor said:
There is something on the wing.....it is watching me, mocking me.....

Gremlins those dirty rotten bas*&$s.
:rotfl:

Now, who can name that show and who starred in that particular episode???

·
Registered
262 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
Back to the dealer today for the tranny plate R&R. We'll know if this is it tomorrow evening.
Keep us posted, I'd really like to know what they find.
And yes a stethescope is a nice tool to have, I've had one for years.
Even if the dealer does all the work on a car it's nice to have a clue
before you take it in...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lightning said:
:rotfl:

Now, who can name that show and who starred in that particular episode???
"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" (Twilight Zone) - William Shatner.
Good episode.:shock:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Fishtale said:
"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" (Twilight Zone) - William Shatner.
Good episode.:shock:

And we have a winner! :clap: :clap:

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The TSB did not work. I didn't think it would. They have no idea. They really don't think it is engine related. They have had an outrside Ford tech look at it. Now they are planning on bringing in the Ford Rep. May be a while. His next scheduled visit is Nats week so I won't be here.

The story continues.

Thought. Could something in one of the cats loosen up when it heats up and cause it to rattle in an RPM related fashion??

I'll pick up a stethoscope tomorrow on the way home. If all else fails maybe the wife wants to play doctor. :lol:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
That's a shame, sorry to hear that

Bullitt 736 said:
Thought. Could something in one of the cats loosen up when it heats up and cause it to rattle in an RPM related fashion??
Many cats have a heat shield tacked on really badly, whether or not this is the case with '08s I can't say - I haven't crawled under there to see for myself . They will break given time, but I have only seen this on older cars, nothing as new as a Bullitt.

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lightning said:
That's a shame, sorry to hear that

Many cats have a heat shield tacked on really badly, whether or not this is the case with '08s I can't say - I haven't crawled under there to see for myself . They will break given time, but I have only seen this on older cars, nothing as new as a Bullitt.
They have checked the shields twice but say its not them.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
The TSB did not work. I didn't think it would. They have no idea. They really don't think it is engine related. They have had an outrside Ford tech look at it. Now they are planning on bringing in the Ford Rep. May be a while. His next scheduled visit is Nats week so I won't be here.

The story continues.

I'll pick up a stethoscope tomorrow on the way home. If all else fails maybe the wife wants to play doctor. :lol:
Anything is possible. I think once it is discovered it will turn out to be some sort of exhaust and/or vacuum leak somehow.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Like Gregg said a long handled screwdriver will work great as a stethascope. Cost less too as you have one right there in your tool box.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts