Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Just bought a second Bullitt. This is a serious fixer.
Bought it from Original owner with 317K but is been neglected the last 3 or 4 years.
I am droping the gas tank to check it and replace the fuel pump. Any advice on buying
a whole new one peice drop in unit or try the kit which uses the old housing?

Let me know if you have any suggestions on the fuel pump and what brand to go with.

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
replace the entire assembly especially if it has been neglected for 3-4 years. I had mine done in 2014 and had all of it replaced. it's worth the extra money and piece of mind since age does a number on parts. my $0.02. stick with OEM or OEM equivalent too.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
OEM for me at the time was about $400 and change plus the labor for 2 hours. i can check the work order that i had done if you need a part number. let me know. it wouldn't be until later today though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Joker, I think I am going to get the whole drop in unit from LMR. Going to go with the factory spec pump. They seem to have good reviews??

Thx

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Thanks Joker, I think I am going to get the whole drop in unit from LMR. Going to go with the factory spec pump. They seem to have good reviews??

Thx
One of my close friends (he's an ASCE Cert Mechanic) always suggests to go with OEM or OEM spec. you will run into less problems later and go with factory type. Reliability is key too. LMR is pretty good as is CJ Pony Parts.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Ford part #1R3Z-9H307-AB

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
My fuel pump gave up the ghost last winter. I replaced it with an OEM Motorcraft pump from O' Reilly's Auto Parts. I'm not sure if they still sell them, but at the time, they were selling the whole pump and assembly for less money than any other vendor. They also shipped to my door for free.

I'd highly recommend you order a tank filler neck grommet (like this one https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9072C/1999-04-Mustang-Fuel-Tank-Filler-Grommet) as the old one is likely to rip when removing the tank. Given the mileage and age, a new grommet is worth the cost as I doubt you'd enjoy dropping the tank twice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will check out O'Reillys I got one down the street. Yes, planning to replace Filler Grommet as well. thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts