Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Charles
13,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start by saying I believe in working as a team at work and always put the interests of the company first (sometimes to my own personal detriment). All employees recieved an e-mail yesterday from HR detailing a team project we will be working on next week. I was supposed to take vacation this week but will be working everyday this week (except Thursday), including the weekend and late all of next week to get a very important proposal out to our client. I really don't have time for anything else. The following is the e-mail we recieved:

All employees,

Monday, December 1st a representative from each department will receive a Gingerbread House kit. As a team, the department will assemble the Gingerbread House and decorate the house. Within the kit are the essential items needed to assemble and decorate each house. Your team may add edible decorations to the house, but you may not make the house any larger than the original size. The houses will need to remain on site for assembly and decorating, to guarantee team participation. Please schedule times for assembly and decoration before or after work hours, or during lunch breaks. Each house will need to be completed by Thursday, December 4<SUP>th</SUP>. The finished houses will be taken to the Holiday Party on Friday and judged by everyone, based on applause. The winning team will receive small gifts. Have Fun!ffice:eek:ffice"

Sincerely,

Katie

It could be some fun but I just don't have the time (or patience) right now. I count on people delivering their portion of a proposal to me on time and this proposal has been a real struggle. Everyone has been late. I thought I would have some fun.

The following is my reply to "All Employees". I tried to shape the e-mail around the way we staff a typical project. I sure hope our Executive Mgmt. team has a sense of humor.

Katie,<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Please consider the following comments and questions:<O:p</O:p

Due to the current financial crisis home mortgages and/or home equity loans are not available at this time other than through loan companies with unsavory loans officers named Nicky Santoro, Ace Rothstein or Tony Soprano. Interest rates are considerable higher from these gentlemen than in times past

I would consider a home mortgage through my 401k but is now considered a 0.401k since the value has spiraled downward in the last four months like a skydiver with no parachute
Building the house using non-traditional materials in lieu of lumber and bricks is on the right track. Saving the trees will make the tree huggers happy and we will not have to suffer later from using cheap imported bricks. I should point out however that using gingerbread will pose potential problems such as attracting insects. The use of pesticides may cause the EPA or other environmental left wingers to harass me. Gingerbread will also make a large mess if it rains.

I consider my profession as white collar. I sit in a chair all day staring at a computer screen. I feel that the manual labor required to build a house would be much too strenuous for me. I could hurt my back and have to draw worker’s compensation insurance for the next three years prior to settling out of court for $40,000,000,000. This risk should be considered in the project cost. I assume you have prepared a risk registry.

As for decorating, assuming we can somehow find financing, I failed Home and Family living. I may not be the best choice for hanging wall paper or painting the trim. I am also color blind(due to looking at a computer screen all day).

I am presently a member of the United Professional Estimators Union of America – Magnolia, Texas Branch. I will have to check with the Union Steward to make sure I will be able to work during lunch and/or after hours. This could result in a grievance which could tie-up corporate counsel until after the holidays. I will get back to you regarding this.
Have you had your estimated costs reviewed yet? Have you obtained signatures per the ROA yet? If not, Tom may wish to see you Monday morning.<O:p</O:p

I assume we will have five groups since we have five Project Managers to oversee each group. Will Project Engineers be assigned to each group? I think this would be appropriate since they say they do all of the work anyway.

Will Electrical Engineers be assigned to each group? I can tell you that after the Hurricane a house without lights is not a good thing.<O:p</O:p

Do the houses come with pre-designed piping? Make sure that the designs are approved by the Stress Engineers prior to start of construction. There is nothing worse than a ruptured sewer pipe due to expansion and contraction.
You have mentioned scheduling time for the project. Will we have a schedule for each house as well as an overall schedule to monitor resources? Has anyone contacted Mike Gibson to see if Norma is available for this task? If this creates an overload situation we will need to submit a requisition for an additional scheduler.

Your e-mail discusses completion of the house by December 4<SUP>th</SUP>. Apparently you are not up to date on the status of the construction industry. Due to the substantial existing workload for projects along the Gulf Coast (and world wide) the resulting inefficiencies have created delays in completion of projects. Without consulting with Norma at this point, my estimate is that we could be complete by February 30<SUP>th</SUP>.<O:p</O:p

Assuming that a miracle happens and we are able to complete the project by December 4<SUP>th</SUP>, I assume the house will have wheels for transportation to The Woodlands Country Club? Have you contacted Global Logistics to inquire about transport of the houses? Please note that the transporter will have to petition the Texas Department of Transportation for permits to use public thoroughfares for transport of the houses.

Assuming that the house does have axles and wheels, I do not believe that under the covenants and deed restrictions of The Woodlands that mobile homes are allowed.

Regarding the selection of the winner at the Holiday Party on December 5<SUP>th</SUP>, I believe there may be some problems with this. Some people may partake in the consumption of alcoholic beverages which may impair their ability to see well or to make good decisions. Others may simply have no taste. My opinion is that you should consider that all teams are winners. This way no one feels as if they are losers. It’s fun and fair for everyone.<O:p</O:p

Please consider my comments accordingly. I will be available Monday should you have questions regarding this.<O:p</O:p

In the meantime:<O:p</O:p

HAPPYTHANKSGIVING!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Charles, you left off one important sub-contactor- the heating and air guy! I doubt that royal icing will hold much of the structure together in the Texas Heat! :lol:

Great reply!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Awesome, I like it.

:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.