1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Cancels 2002 Mustang Cobra
18 January 2002
Robert Lane

Ford Motor Company has decided to cancel planned production of the 2002 Mustang Cobra "Terminator" and build it as a 2003 model dubbed "Cobra Special" instead. The "Terminator" moniker was dropped because the name may depict too much violence.

A BlueOvalNews article published on 04 December 2001stated that Ford would unveil the new model at the Chicago Auto Show on 06 February - that launch introduction date has not changed.

A Ford memo states the 2003 Cobra will have "significant enhancements, particularly in the areas of acceleration, handling, and styling." The MSRP will be close to $35,000 for the coupe. Convertible pricing is not available - if it makes production.

JOB1 will start in May 2002 and end in August 2002. These will be referred to as the "early" Cobras. After a short break, Cobra production will resume in September 2002.

·
Registered
228 Posts
"Terminator" depict too much violance? Give me a break, what the heck is this country coming to with all this political correctness crap. Chrysler didn't rename the "Demon" because some would think Satan was behind the wheel. AMC didn't rename "The Rebel Machine" because everyone would want to be like James Dean.

Sorry, just a little venting. I just get fed up when people change things because they don't want to "offend others" or "depict violance" or it may promote "unacceptable behavior." Let people use common sense, those of us that have any, and let people say or assume whatever the heck they want. "Freedom of Speech" <-Is that still an option in this country? Just curious, cause it does not seem so as of late. One thing we should all know by now is that whatever people do or say, there will always be opposition or difference of opinion as I am sure this post will have some as well. I can take the feedback, it is just my "OPINION" and I will respect others opinions, does not mean I have to agree with them.
Sorry for the tangent.

Bullitt #4915 (Black)
1970 Chevelle

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nvr2Fast on 2002-01-18 17:46 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
I agree Nvr2Fast,

but the whole "Politically Correct" crap has gotten even worse since Sept. 11th.

Our "freedom of speech" has even been taken away in the little things, like the CA DMV.

Rant on....I agree.
Plus, don't you feel better once you got it off your chest?

I'm sure this was done at least in part due to the attacks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It sounds like three of us are in agreement.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I think it was just a code name at Ford. They code name every thing to throw off the media. I don't think anyone at Ford ever expected it the name to catch on and be referred to as the Terminator.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
“The "Terminator" moniker was dropped because the name may depict too much violence.”

I guess James Cameron will have to rename Terminator 3 to something else.
What am I saying, they just need to cancel the whole movie, if you think the name depicts violence, hell the movie shows violence.

Employers shouldn’t be able to say “Employee was terminated any more either.

Just remove the word from the dictionary. And while we’re at it, just remove the word violent. It just scares me to hear the word.

But, 01GTB may be correct. It just may have been a project name, never intended to be the actual name.

But special doesn’t sound right, I wonder if they considered calling it a king cobra?
Another retro idea???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FASTBULLITT on 2002-01-18 18:42 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Honestly, I had read somewhere, six months or more ago that the code name was not going to be used. I think BON may be trying to stir up crap here. I think actually it was on BON months ago the name would be other than Terminator.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Being a Chrysler fanatic (just sold my '71 383 'Cuda) I just had to say that Dodge did cave in and change the Demon's name to Dart Sport due to pressure from religious zealots. This crap isn't new.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey 3980, thanks for the correction. See, you learn something new everyday. I would just love to make a new car and call it the Annihilator Grand Genocide 666 with road rage enhancer just to see how much crap that stirs up. :grin:

Just kidding people, don't sue me.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Careful Nvr2Fast, you wanna get terminated?
Oops, sorry 'bout that!

'01 Bullitt #01737 DHG
'01 Ford Escape Red
'68 Mustang Hardtop Gold

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bulittt on 2002-01-18 21:35 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Why don't they just call it the Super CobraJet,or Mustang SCJ.....it worked in 1969-70 and makes more sense!! Be glad we got a Bullitt! Now comes the price $35,000 bucks.....you got to be kidding. Do the automakers think we all are white collar professionals? Just am very pleased I bought the Bullitt....probably the....no the last new performance car I will be able to afford and that is very sad!

·
Registered
878 Posts
It is getting to the point that if I tell a friend that I have a Mustang Bulitt and they don't get it right away I don't explain it anymore because they don't get IT. "IT" being the feeling you know what is cool and they don't.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yep, but that's also what makes it so great. We get it and they don't, So it's all mine .. mine ... mine ... aaaaahahhahahahahaha :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Nasty,
Funny thing about the Marauder - I saw one a while back at my local Ford Dealer - NOT! I called them from my cell while stuck in traffic to ask what it was. Turned out to be the new look for the Crown Vic performance package. Needless to say next chance I got I went back and took a look. Monochromatic black paint - looked like a cop car with the black grill and all. Looked inside to see a floor mounted shifter like in the Marauder. I had to blink several times to make sure what I was seeing was real. It had 5-spoke rims on it even. I tell you, if I didn't have my Bullitt, I would have been wanting this mean machine.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Yeah, Nasty, that's it. I couldn't believe they finally got around to that look for the CV Performance Package!! My friends say I'm getting old for my age, but I like a sports sedan, especially the CV or '94~'96 Impala SS. Been waiting for the Marauder to come out. One of the racing schools has a Cobra/Vic - wonder how long it will take you to post pics of this car. Has an AOD mated to a DOHC 4.6 as I recall...Nope, I believe it's a 5- or 6-spd now that I think about it.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-18 20:58, bullitt3980 wrote:
Being a Chrysler fanatic (just sold my '71 383 'Cuda) I just had to say that Dodge did cave in and change the Demon's name to Dart Sport due to pressure from religious zealots. This crap isn't new.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Dart! Oh my lord! That's so violent! I must
write them right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts