Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you're all going to scold me for this, and deservedly so, but here's what happened. I was feeling particularly lazy yesterday, so I decided to take my Bullitt to the local BP drive-thru carwash. Not a problem, said I, since the wash was "brushless." Lo and behold, when I arrived I learned that it was out of order. On their advice, I drove to another nearby BP, but gasped when I saw the huge green and yellow BRUSHES. After agonizing over the possibilities of scratching my beautiful Highland Green paint to smithereens, I frightfully pulled up and entered the wash. I almost couldn't bear to get out to dry the remaining droplets off. But I did, and am happy to report that I dodged a bullet (pardon the pun). The rubbery brushes didn't put the slightest mark on my finish... wheeeeeeeww! :roll:

·
Premium Member
18,865 Posts
That's good to hear, Jim! :clap:

I think you're the first to do this! :lol:

What about swirls? :shock:

No swirls? :surprised

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
neither dhg1994 ( 2001 ) or dhg 2497 ( 2008 ) have ever been washed EXCEPT by hand
I had a 1998 gt that went thru one of the supposed ''brushless'' type car washes
and that has been the last stang I have gone thru one with

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
841 Posts
I won't go near a car wash with any type of brushes, soft or otherwise. I had a bad experience with what was suppose to be a soft pad car wash on a 92 5.0L Thunderbird way back when. I went through the soft pad car wash, got home and had scratches down to primer on the hood and the leading edge of the top of the car just past the windshield. I went back to the car wash with camera, went in when nobody was around and found out the soft pads were backed with a stiff polyethylene or polypropylene plastic brush. They were all knarly and were what caused the damage. I took lots of picture of everything for documentation. I first went to the car wash, they refered me to the insurance company, they said the car wash didn't cause it, so I moved on to my insurance company under comprehensive with $50.00 deductible. Went to the claims adjuster station, they looked at it and said it looked like car wash damage, :smile: they wrote it up and I got it fixed for the $50 deductible. I also left them the pictures and letters I had written to the car wash insurance company and in a few months I got my $50 back. Evidently my insurance company pursued getting reinbursed from the car wash insurance company, won the arbitration or whatever method they use and I got my $50 back. :smile:

So, after all that (sorry I got so long winded), I just stay away from anything with any kind of soft or other brushes. :smile:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
No automatic car washes for me, brushless or not. I like to know EXACTLY what products are being placed on my car. Glad to hear you "dodged the bullet".

·
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cochese said:
That's good to hear, Jim! :clap:

I think you're the first to do this! :lol:

What about swirls? :shock:

No swirls? :surprised
No swirls, no scratches, no nuttin'. Lucky me, eh? (My heart is still racing, though).:redface:

·
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MustangLynda said:
I suspect they will show up when the light is right :(
No. It was absolutely bright, sunny and not a cloud in the sky. NO SWIRLS! It wasn't the nylon bristle type of brush... some sort of rubber-looking stuff. Still scary, though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Never in my 35 years of owning 13 vehicles have I ever taken a single one into an automatic car wash...ever. Always hand washes for them all.

PS: you need to worry about recycled water being used nowadays also, it's mandatory in many areas for these types of businesses.

·
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
#3949 said:
you have bigger balls than me....id never go through one of those !!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:
Big balls, small brain, apparently.:rotfl: :rotfl: :sad:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Your a better man than me..I could have never done that. I hand wash all of my cars including my wifes... there is just something about the hard work that you put into your own car that makes you apperciate it more.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.