Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW,i cant believe how this car pulls in the upper RPM range.I idles and runs just like stock ,but when you put your foot into it it pulls like crazy!The mongoose tune was dead on,just needed to be leaned out on the dyno because it was running a little rich.HP numbers are around 360HP but i need to add a catback.That should put me around the 370HP mark ,then it will be time to add my intercooler.I think once you drive a car with a blower on it you would never look back.A big thanks to Tim Barth at MPH for this awesome kit he has put together. GREG

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yep, it's a lot of fun! I have a Bassani Catback with Catted "X" Pipe.

I would caution you against adding a cooler (even though that is everyone's next step).
If you add a cooler, you will be very close to the max HP for the engine internals. I personally do not want to get that close! Just something to consider.

Instead, I went with 3.73 gears and a T56 6 speed (D&D). More torque with no need for any more HP!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the assumption that if you add an intercooler you are actually running safer because you lower the intake temps quite a bit.As long as you dont get to crazy with the timing, and dont run to small a pulley ,and make to much boost, you should be fine. GREG

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well, all that is true.

So, why add a cooler when you won't be able to take full advantage of it in the tune?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our engines can handle up to 400HP without any problems from what i have been told.The intercooler makes much more power on hot days.A blower without one tends to loose power when it gets really hot outside.You can loose upto 25HP on a hot day in the summertime without one on your car. GREG

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No sweat Allan, i will let everyone know how it goes when i do the intercooler install,but that probably wont be for a while yet. GREG

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Greg-glad you like the supercharger. If you do decide to do the aftercooler you will be a valuable source of info for us all. It will be great to see exactly how much more power the aftercooler makes.....and remember...."Boost is Fun!!!!"

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Do you wish you had done this mod sooner?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You better believe it,i would have done the blower much sooner but didnt have the funds or the knowledge to do so. I can see 400HP in the not to distant future. GREG

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You are already very close to 400HP at the flywheel now.

The general consensus is that our engines will handle 450 HP. That consensus does not specify if it is Flywheel or RWHP.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Before I added the Aftercooler my Bullitt was making 350hp/352tq @ 8 lbs boost(402 flywheel). With the Aftercooler now makes 415/418 @12 lbs boost(485 flywheel). Haven't had a single problem at all and thats with 3 1/2 years of balls out track events. It's all in the tuning and proper maintenence. So no need to be concerned about adding a intercooler.

·
Registered
987 Posts
DOC1FMF said:
Before I added the Aftercooler my Bullitt was making 350hp/352tq @ 8 lbs boost(402 flywheel). With the Aftercooler now makes 415/418 @12 lbs boost(485 flywheel). Haven't had a single problem at all and thats with 3 1/2 years of balls out track events. It's all in the tuning and proper maintenence. So no need to be concerned about adding a intercooler.
+1

If the tune is right and u dont have detonation and plenty of fuel u should b fine.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
OGBATMAN & PSI.....You guys just proved my initial point........

"IF" and "SHOULD" is not something I want to consider with my Engine.

Others do and that's fine......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
OGBATMAN said:
+1

If the tune is right and u dont have detonation and plenty of fuel u should b fine.
+3...my one caveat is this...our motors will NOT handle detonation well. So by slipping on a "bit" of detonation can very easily become cause for a new motor very quickly. Ask me how I know :)

450 is really pushing it too, although others have done it successfully (DoubleJ) it is likely on the edge.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
YAY FOR BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im only running the Vortech with 8 psi, but I'm seeing 410 RWHp and 420 RWTQ. I live in florida so on hot humid days it feels like 0 hp. lol I will be doing the Aftercooler one day.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Man,after reading on various boards on blowers,i sometimes wish i went this route instead of the N/A route,but i do love my VT stage II N/A cams.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
1LOW03GT said:
Man,after reading on various boards on blowers,i sometimes wish i went this route instead of the N/A route,but i do love my VT stage II N/A cams.
sell em and buy blower cams lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts