Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's my latest story:

Last week/weekend I took a five day road trip through west Texas, across the Texas panhandle, and into western Oklahoma to OKC, as part of the Oklahoma Route 66 arse'ns 75th Anniversary Classic Car Cruise. Over 1,000 miles on DHG #621.

Last Thursday I was leaving Amarillo, headed eastbound on I-40 toward Oklahoma. The posted speed limit is 70mph, and I set the cruise control on 74mph. (I have to use the cruise control on the interstate, otherwise I find myself creeping up to 90mph before I know it!). Anyway, just as I came over a hill, I spotted a Texas Highway Patrol in a black/white Mustang cruiser ahead of me in the right lane. I instinctively killed the cruise control, and coasted down to 70. The cruiser slowed down even more, forcing me to pass him at about 60mph. He immediately pulls behind me and hits the red/blue lights. ****! What did I do?!?

I pull over to the right shoulder, and he comes up to my passenger window, a young patrolman with a marine haircut, and tells me he pulled me over for no front license plate (it was hidden behind the bra), and going slightly over the speed limit. I show him my DL and insurance, and he arseures me he'll give me just a warning, and to wait in the car. After he runs me through the computer, he comes back to my car and gives me back my DL, the warning paper.

THEN, he starts asking me all kinds of questions: How much did my Bullitt cost? Where did I get it? Did I have to order it? How many are they making? What number is mine? What is the HP rating? How fast have I got it up to?? That last question seemed loaded; I said "Really?" Well, I just told him I had it on the 1/4 mile drag strip a few weeks ago and ran 14.4 @ 98mph. I wasn't about to tell him I just ran 120mph past an 18-wheeler that had been holding me back the day before!!

So at this point I ask him if he would like to see the engine. He said "Sure! if you don't mind." :eek: Wow! So I got out, popped the hood, and as we are standing there looking at the engine and I'm explaining the differences between the GT and Bullitt - another DPS Mustang cruiser pulls over behind the first one. The second DPS guy gets out and the first guy says "This is one of those new Bullitt Mustangs..." - so I go through the entire speil with the second guy. The are both very interested, and are trying not to show it. :wink: After their curiosity was satisfied, he asks me to drive safely, be carefully pulling back into traffice, blah, blah, blah....

After all that, I'm back on the highway once again (cruise control RIGHT ON 70mph), and I glance down at my camera lieing on the passenger seat. DANG! Why didn't I get a PICTURE of my Bullitt on the side of the interstate with TWO Mustang DPS cruisers behind me?!?! I was kicking myself for that oversight the rest of the trip....

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I have two friends who had TAs. One an LT1 Ram Air, and another was an LS1 Ram Air, and they NEVER got this kind of attention, I don't care how much faster they are than the Bullitt.

:wink:

Great story.

Mike

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Thats a great story BW. I havn't gotten pulled over, But when I pass/get passed by the law I get the hard look from the officers, it's like, they are about to break they're neck looking. It's really cool to have a car that draws so much emotion from so many people.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts