Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Texas to enforce the two plate law

2K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  RCSignals 
#1 ·
I read today where Texas is going to get serious about the two plate law. DPS will be on the look out and will enforce it. To quote "we don't care about pretty, we care about safety". If you're going to mount the front plate, here is a tip for a really clean install.
If you just push the screw while drilling you will deform the plastic and have a large shallow depression. DO THIS.. before drilling in the screw, heat it with a match or lighter and screw it half way in slowly. This will melt its way in and as it cools the plastic will harden into a threaded hole. Back the screw out and re-install with the plate for a nice clean job without too much bumper damage. Also to consider, the plate bracket from the CS makes a nice clean look and is easy to install.
George at Jordan Ford

#3 ·
I've heard rumblings that in California the CHP is also stepping up enforcement of the front plate law. Instead of the normal correctable "fix-it" ticket with $10 court fee attached, officers may now start writing non-correctable $120 fine tickets for those who are choosing to run without a front plate.

Based on this development, I went ahead and bought a Ben Withers front plate bracket that I'm fiddling around with now to see how well it works with a Bell universal plate holder. Photos at 11:00 (or whenever I finish it up this week).

#11 ·
RCSignals said:
I saw the first Corvette I've ever seen with a front plate just the other day. It looked horrible.
I think Intersection red light camera systems depend on a front plate, and if so that is what is probably driving this.
Actually they take pics from both front and rear. If you ever get one they will send you a ticket, the pics and a site where you can view yourself running the light. In Ft Worth the cameras at a particular intersection were not paying for themselves, translation (people know there is a red light camera so they don't run the light) so the city took it out and moved it to another intersection. And they say it isn't about money. The worst part is you get your ticket from a private company not the city.

#13 ·
I will continue to be a rebel in the north (MN) and run without the plate. :shine:
OR... I will just play dumb and tell the nice policeman I just got the car and I'm still waiting for the special bracket that was back-ordered.. :-N

That defense may not have worked so well when I was younger, but now that my hair is mostly grey... hmmm... gotta take advantage af the whole "age" thing...:lol:

#16 ·
For ten years I got away without a front plate in Idaho, then one day (when I still had my BULLITT) a motorcycle Cop pulled me over and asked about that!

He was real cool about it, I pulled into the Target Parking Lot, he didn't even get off his bike just asked if the car was new, (it wasn't) and said, "just tell me you'll put it on." Then he said "nice car", to which I replied nice Bike, I ride too. He was on a Harley Police bike... :)

I used two sided tape (emblem tape) to put on a plastic bracket/sleeve that the plate fit into, worked great, never had any problems for as long as I had the car.

#17 ·
BTW in installing either Craig's or Ben's bracket, one really needs to drop the fascia underneath the car to get the hardware in place just right, IMO. There are some 7/32" hex head screws that need to be removed. It's a slight pain in the butt sliding under the car to do this. There are two male plastic crapola guide-clips that are part of the fascia. One of them broke off while removing the fascia. The fascia is stamped "Made in Canada" which I guess is kinda like "Made in Mexico" :lol: j/k

My grill inserts now sit in my trunk pockets.

#22 ·
jimbo020 said:
I will continue to be a rebel in the north (MN) and run without the plate. :shine:
OR... I will just play dumb and tell the nice policeman I just got the car and I'm still waiting for the special bracket that was back-ordered.. :-N

That defense may not have worked so well when I was younger, but now that my hair is mostly grey... hmmm... gotta take advantage af the whole "age" thing...:lol:
My hair's blonde so I'm hoping it works for me too :lol:

#25 ·
RCSignals said:
I think Intersection red light camera systems depend on a front plate, and if so that is what is probably driving this.
Actually, more LE units now have a special camera that instantly scans plates as they routinely drive on patrol. The scanned plate goes to a data base where it looks for stolen, wanted, etc. A 'hit' is almost instantaneous. Good or bad - technology is increasing in police operations and making an impact.

#26 ·
texasbullitt said:
always a plus according to my son the denton cop...

personally , red hair and green eyes would be at the top of my ''let her go list ''
;-)
I'll not comment on the "blonde" thing - too easy.

I wonder what your son would do to a gal with Green HAIR and Red EYES?

I think that would move to the TOP of my own "let her go" list............. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.