Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Do you text and drive

• Yes, I don't care about anyone else on the road.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No, are you nuts????

Votes: 34 97.1%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not like we didn't know this anyway. I find interesting the part I highlighted. I don't believe we're not aware of the dangers, it's just that the people who do it just don't care!

Text messaging while driving found to be more dangerous than drunk driving

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:54PM EDT
See Comments (159)
<script src="http://d.yimg.com/ds/badge.js" badgetype="medium" showbranding="1"> y_tech: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/yoon/1163 </script>Buzz up!on Yahoo! http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/yoon/yoon-228654900-1221857250.jpg?ymiPaCADLQwuoq4Qhttp://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/yoon/yoon-228654900-1221857250_thumb.jpg?ymjPaCAD29g0c0ISThe next time you try to text your buddies "on the way, c u there" while driving, consider this: Driving while text messaging is more dangerous than drinking and driving or driving under the influence of marijuana.
The Transport Research Laboratory in the U.K. (via The Times Online) found that when subjects were text messaging and driving at the same time, reaction speed was reduced by 35 percent, thereby increasing the likelihood of an incident. Those that were driving and drinking within the legal limit only suffered a 12 percent loss of reaction speed, and those that were driving under the influence of marijuana had their reaction speed reduced by 21 percent, 14 percent lower than while driving and texting.
Another startling statistic: According to the study, those that were texting and driving reduced their steering ability by 91 percent.
The worst part about the whole thing, in my opinion, is the general public's lack of knowledge on just how dangerous it can be. Everyone knows how dangerous it can be to drink and drive, but really, does everyone know that even picking up your cell phone for a quick text reduces your reaction speed by three times?

·
Banned
978 Posts
I don't text message and drive...because I don't know how to utilize the text message feature on my cell phone...but I would not text message and drive even if I knew how to utilize the text message feature.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Headbanging and driving can be just as dangerous! :wink:

·
Banned
978 Posts
BigBullitt said:
Headbanging and driving can be just as dangerous! :wink:
Not when you're a semi-professional headbanger.

:lol:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,583 Posts
It is against the law here to text message while driving. The law was just passed recently. Also, it is against the law to talk on your cell without a blue tooth device.

And PX personality, you seem to be the head-banger type for some reason. :py1:

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TwoStangWmn said:
It is against the law here to text message while driving. The law was just passed recently. Also, it is against the law to talk on your cell without a blue tooth device.

And PX personality, you seem to be the head-banger type for some reason. :py1:
The only thing is, how are you going to catch them unless you're a cop and see them? It's not like drinking and driving where you'll still be drunk 20 minutes later when the cops do pull you over. That's the part that bothers me the most. An idiot can text without getting caught!

I find texting highly agitating when I'm trying to do it. I just tell people to call me.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
BigBullitt said:
The only thing is, how are you going to catch them unless you're a cop and see them? It's not like drinking and driving where you'll still be drunk 20 minutes later when the cops do pull you over. That's the part that bothers me the most. An idiot can text without getting caught!

I find texting highly agitating when I'm trying to do it. I just tell people to call me.
So I should stop sending text to ya?:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
i do not have the texting option on our cells and for good reason....

a) I do not text period ..... nor do i ever intend to.
b) 13 year old would bankrupt me if texting option was available / turned on
c) someone i know who will remain nameless would wreck escape for sure trying to
text idiot friends while driving

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
steelfalcon29 said:
So I should stop sending text to ya?:lol: :lol:
Only if you're driving. :wink: You'll notice my replies are usually short and sweet. I hate texting! :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
"The worst part about the whole thing, in my opinion, is the general public's lack of knowledge on just how dangerous it can be."

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I believe in two hand on the wheel, except while shifting, changing the radio stations, A/C control. Let me think maybe some other Special Occasions -LOL-
Texting in CA. will not be legal soon if not now!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I don't text. It's dangerous, especially driving a stick shift performance vehicle.

Instead, I use CARRIER PIGEONS!

Does get a might messy though...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
To begin with, I do not text. It's a waste of time and money. And to do so while driving is like putting a bag over my head and drive looking out through a pin hole!:mad: I want to jail anyone that is caught texting while driving. Talking? I maybe twenty lashes with an old cell phone...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I never text and probably never will, and drivers that do know it is dangerous. How could anyone of driving age not know that this act is dangerous?

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
I voted "No, Are you Nuts" :eek: .....an dont call me on the cell while i am driving either :p

:b01: = sweet

·
Registered
651 Posts
So, in response to this, the obviously prudent thing for auto manufacturers to do would be to install text pads on either side of the steering wheel, so that your hands can remain at 10 and 2 while you text with your thumbs, and a windshield display so you can at least seem to be looking at the road. Coming soon to a highway near you! :badgrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.