Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a week away from flying to Kentucky to pick up my Bullitt and am wondering how I should thank this dealer for the service he is providing to me.

Turns out, they normally close at 3pm on Saturday. But my plane doesn't land until 2:15pm They're driving me the 40 miles from the airport to the dealership and probably keeping the dealership open late to make this deal happen as well. In addition - so I'll have a full size spare - I'm having a wheel and tire delivered to them that I'm asking them to put together. (Time is too tight for me to hassle with figuring out if they can sell me the tire and wheel from their own parts department, which is closed today... plus I found a great price on an 18inch Ford wheel from SVTPerformance (thanks, Gilbert) and a BF Goodrich tire (thanks www.tires-easy.com)

Even though I doubt I'll ever see these guys again, I'd like to show my appreciation for the service I'm getting. I believe good Karma goes a long way.

Just wondering what other people who used out of state dealers have done... and what you all think of my situation in general. Thanks for the feedback!

Steve

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
SteveNYC said:
I'm a week away from flying to Kentucky to pick up my Bullitt and am wondering how I should thank this dealer for the service he is providing to me.

Turns out, they normally close at 3pm on Saturday. But my plane doesn't land until 2:15pm They're driving me the 40 miles from the airport to the dealership and probably keeping the dealership open late to make this deal happen as well. In addition - so I'll have a full size spare - I'm having a wheel and tire delivered to them that I'm asking them to put together. (Time is too tight for me to hassle with figuring out if they can sell me the tire and wheel from their own parts department, which is closed today... plus I found a great price on an 18inch Ford wheel from SVTPerformance (thanks, Gilbert) and a BF Goodrich tire (thanks www.tires-easy.com)

Even though I doubt I'll ever see these guys again, I'd like to show my appreciation for the service I'm getting. I believe good Karma goes a long way.

Just wondering what other people who used out of state dealers have done... and what you all think of my situation in general. Thanks for the feedback!

Steve
I think I would slip the salesman an extra hundred bucks and buy him dinner!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Keep in mind that they are not going out of their way for you....they are going out of their way to get the sale. While I think it's OK to express thanks and appreciation, I personally wouldn't go out of pocket to show them how much I appreciate them working hard to get my money. JMHO

Alot of times I think we get so excited at the prospect of a new car like this that we think the dealership is doing us a huge favor when in reality they really aren't.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Where in Ky ????????????

SteveNYC said:

Steve
Steve,

In this Case I can give (You) some Very-Factual-Information/Idea.

You are going to get a (SURVEY) in the Mail. Take-Care of them !!!!!!!!!

And while you are there at the Dealership let the Sales Manager know you are going to take care of them when you get the SURVEY !!!!!!

Remember, I work for a Dealer and these Surveys are Very Important to Dealers !!!!!!

There you have it.

I live in Franklin, TN. 30-miles So. of Nashville, TN. where are you picking up your Bullitt Mustang ?????????

I am 3 1/2 Hrs. from Louisville, Ky. from where I sit at this Computer.

If you were anywhere near me I would Gladly buy You Dinner !!!!!!!!!

I'm originally from Frankfort, Ky. and lived and Worked for IBM in Lexington, Ky. that was many yrs. ago.

But still have Family in Frankfort, Ky.

If I don't hear back from you, Congrats on the Bullitt !!!!!!!!!

Terry

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
LeadFoot said:
Keep in mind that they are not going out of their way for you....they are going out of their way to get the sale. While I think it's OK to express thanks and appreciation, I personally wouldn't go out of pocket to show them how much I appreciate them working hard to get my money. JMHO

Alot of times I think we get so excited at the prospect of a new car like this that we think the dealership is doing us a huge favor when in reality they really aren't.
This is true, but they already had the sale without doing any of the stuff he is describing. I have always tried to go out of my way to tip or somehow show my appreciation when someone does something for me they don't HAVE to do, just like I'll go out of my way to bi*ch and moan when they don't. But that's just my opinion.....

I'd tip the sales person, or if tipping's not your thing then write a letter to the owner giving kudos to the sales person. And as Terry says, there's always the survey.

·
Registered
211 Posts
MustangLynda said:
This is true, but they already had the sale without doing any of the stuff he is describing. I have always tried to go out of my way to tip or somehow show my appreciation when someone does something for me they don't HAVE to do, just like I'll go out of my way to bi*ch and moan when they don't. But that's just my opinion.....

I'd tip the sales person, or if tipping's not your thing then write a letter to the owner giving kudos to the sales person. And as Terry says, there's always the survey.
Yes, you make a good point. I think Terry nailed it though....treat them right on the survey. I personally wouldn't give the salesman any money though.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
MustangLynda said:

Lynda,

I 2nd that !!!!!!!

I do still TIP and make it where it is (Remembered) by those I choose to give it to.
In this case though I don't know if I would TIP the sales person as you will never ever see them again. Nice Gesture but again I think the (SURVEY) is going to say and Do more than anything else as far as the Bigger-Picture.

A ltr. to the Dealer/Principal is Nice also.

Terry

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I would thank the dealer by repaving his driveway with my rear tires :)

I still dont know why you couldnt have had your bullitt dropped off at the dealer close to your house..

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Hard to say...

onefastbob said:
I think the fact that they are picking him up at the airport 40 miles away is ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY!:eek:

If these weren't tough times for dealers, I would definitely say that they were going the extra step for service excellence, but it could also be because they desperately need the sale. Steve, IMO if you want to thank someone, tip the salesman that you have been dealing with an amount that you are comfortable with. I have found that Nyers tend to tip a lot more than many southerners, so he will probably be ecstatic if you gave him $100. Management is getting enough from the sale of the vehicle IMO.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
onefastbob said:
I think the fact that they are picking him up at the airport 40 miles away is ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY!:eek:
Yup! I had to rent a one way car (75 miles though) and then take a city bus from the drop off location across town to the dealer. But I'm used to not relying on anybody else.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just got off the phone with the sales manager

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. FYI, I just got off the phone with my salesman's boss. Next Saturday is my salesman's birthday, so he's got the day off. It's also Mother's Day weekend, and his boss - who is the one who was going to handle the paperwork and deliver my Bullitt to me - was planning on taking his wife to visit family in Lexington. For all those reasons, they've pushed me to accept delivery of my car at the airport instead of the dealer... NOT my preference, but something I'm willing to live with under the circumstances. As much as I don't like the idea of someone else driving my new Bullitt the 40 miles from the dealership to the airport, my only option is to change my travel plans so I can get there on a day when they stay open later and when their service department is open. As the sales manager pointed out, even if I'm at the dealer, they won't be able to fix anything that needs fixing (like out of alignment body panels as someone here reported they had).

I told the sales manager that people in IMBOC have reported problems with fuses not being snapped in place in the fuse box, and he agreed to have his people double check that for me. I also told him I want to buy a full size spare (gave him the parts number for the wheel SVTPerformance is willing to sell me for $179 plush shipping), and he said he'd talk to me on Monday about getting it from his stock or having it shipped to him from SVTPerformance.

I've got bank financing, which makes this whole airport exchange possible in the first place. I just need to hand him a bank check. So, I guess this is the best arrangement possible... in this not-always-perfect world of ours. I don't know if it bugs me more that someone else will be driving my Bullitt first (maybe not a bad thing for the transmission to get broken in a bit more by someone who knows how to drive a stick)... or that this will add an hour to my drive time, since the airport is further from NYC than the dealership.

tigerhonaker said:
Steve,

In this Case I can give (You) some Very-Factual-Information/Idea.

You are going to get a (SURVEY) in the Mail. Take-Care of them !!!!!!!!!

(snip)

I live in Franklin, TN. 30-miles So. of Nashville, TN. where are you picking up your Bullitt Mustang ?????????

I am 3 1/2 Hrs. from Louisville, Ky. from where I sit at this Computer.

If you were anywhere near me I would Gladly buy You Dinner !!!!!!!!!

(snip)

Terry
Thanks for telling me about the Survey, Terry. I think under the circumstances that's how I'll "take care of" the dealer. (Although I'm also thinking of giving him a CD of the soundtrack to "Bullitt" - which is for sale on iTunes. Great music... by the same guy who did the music to the TV Show "Mission Impossible".)

The dealer, by the way, is Dutch's Ford Mercury in Mt. Sterling, KY But my pick up point is now Blue Grass Airport in Lexington. And, given that I'm planning on driving about 350 miles before I bed down for the night, I'll have to take a raincheck on dinner. Thanks for the invitation. :smile:

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shipping my Bullitt to NYC?

chrisW said:

I still dont know why you couldnt have had your bullitt dropped off at the dealer close to your house..
They quoted me a price of $750 to ship my Bullitt to NYC. And from my research I could see that delivery dates by auto shipping companies are just "promised" dates. There's no guarantee when I'd actually get my Bullitt. So... down to KY I go! :smile:

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MustangLynda said:
Just one question though Steve - they're not picking you up in your bullitt are they?
Yes... it will have been driven 40 miles by the sales manager to the airport. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I said to the sales manager "It could get chipped by a stone while you're driving it." And he said "That could happen the minute you leave our dealership" To which I said, "Yeah... but at least it would be me driving it."

Oh well... Not much else I can do. I can'r change my plans and fly down on Friday.

Steve

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
for some reason I figured ford could have had the car shipped to a NY dealer

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Dinner No-Problem...............

SteveNYC said:
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. FYI, I just got off the phone with my salesman's boss. Next Saturday is my salesman's birthday, so he's got the day off. It's also Mother's Day weekend, and his boss - who is the one who was going to handle the paperwork and deliver my Bullitt to me - was planning on taking his wife to visit family in Lexington. For all those reasons, they've pushed me to accept delivery of my car at the airport instead of the dealer... NOT my preference, but something I'm willing to live with under the circumstances. As much as I don't like the idea of someone else driving my new Bullitt the 40 miles from the dealership to the airport, my only option is to change my travel plans so I can get there on a day when they stay open later and when their service department is open. As the sales manager pointed out, even if I'm at the dealer, they won't be able to fix anything that needs fixing (like out of alignment body panels as someone here reported they had).

I told the sales manager that people in IMBOC have reported problems with fuses not being snapped in place in the fuse box, and he agreed to have his people double check that for me. I also told him I want to buy a full size spare (gave him the parts number for the wheel SVTPerformance is willing to sell me for $179 plush shipping), and he said he'd talk to me on Monday about getting it from his stock or having it shipped to him from SVTPerformance.

I've got bank financing, which makes this whole airport exchange possible in the first place. I just need to hand him a bank check. So, I guess this is the best arrangement possible... in this not-always-perfect world of ours. I don't know if it bugs me more that someone else will be driving my Bullitt first (maybe not a bad thing for the transmission to get broken in a bit more by someone who knows how to drive a stick)... or that this will add an hour to my drive time, since the airport is further from NYC than the dealership.

Thanks for telling me about the Survey, Terry. I think under the circumstances that's how I'll "take care of" the dealer. (Although I'm also thinking of giving him a CD of the soundtrack to "Bullitt" - which is for sale on iTunes. Great music... by the same guy who did the music to the TV Show "Mission Impossible".)

The dealer, by the way, is Dutch's Ford Mercury in Mt. Sterling, KY But my pick up point is now Blue Grass Airport in Lexington. And, given that I'm planning on driving about 350 miles before I bed down for the night, I'll have to take a raincheck on dinner. Thanks for the invitation. :smile:

Steve
Steve,

No-Problem on the Dinner.

Your picking up your Bullitt in Lexington, Ky.

That is where I use to work and Live.

Very Pretty place.

I would not worry to much about taking delivery at the Airport. It makes No-Difference where you take Delivery.

I did as you and had outside Bank Financing so all I did was write a Check. Picked up the Bullitt, met another IMBOC Member that goes by 08 Shifter (Mark) and off we went to Shoneys for Bullitt talk. He even picked up the Bill !!!!! nice Guy :smile:

Lexington, Ky. is I guess like a 4-Hour drive from where I am sitting.

If I can be of Further Assistance let me know Via PM/E-Mail here and I will do what I can for You.

Have a Very Safe Drive back Home and Congrats on the up coming Delivery.

Terry

Steve,

I have an idea for (You) regarding taking Delivery of Your Bullitt.

Read this [Very-Close].

You have never met me but I assure you I am being Serious here.

Call the Dealer back and set this up with them.

Since this is on a Saturday, I will drive to that Dealer, (Inspect) the Bullitt for (You).

Then it will stay LOCKED-UP at the Dealer and I will meet you at Bluegrass Airport in Lexington,Ky. You sign the Paperwork with Dealer, Get your Keys to Bullitt Mustang.

Then I will Deliver you back to the Dealer Location from Lexington and you can then be the 1st person to drive (Your New-Bullitt).

So, now what do you think of this Great Layed out Plan ?????????

Is this you Steve ???

IMBOC Members are here for Each-Other !!!!!!!!!

BTW, I take it that (You) are going to be able to (DRIVE) this Manual 5-Speed Bullitt Mustang, Right ???????????

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dealership quality

BB2008 said:
If these weren't tough times for dealers, I would definitely say that they were going the extra step for service excellence, but it could also be because they desperately need the sale. Steve, IMO if you want to thank someone, tip the salesman that you have been dealing with an amount that you are comfortable with. I have found that Nyers tend to tip a lot more than many southerners, so he will probably be ecstatic if you gave him $100. Management is getting enough from the sale of the vehicle IMO.
Yes, I'll give the sales manager an envelope to give to the salesman... in honor of it being my salesman's birthday.

Dutch's Ford Mercury received the President's Award from Ford in 2006. On their eBay listing for this Bullitt (how I found it in the first place), they say
It is also a unique opportunity to purchase from a very unique dealership. We are the recipient of the 2006 President's Award given by Ford Motor Co.; one of only two in the state of Kentucky. We are a small town dealer that has a great reputation of taking care of their customer.
Maybe that's why they're willing to meet me at the airport.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts