Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Melbourne on sunday. My Mechanic wanted to take the Bullitt out for a spin. What a mess the lovebugs are out and ready to die all over your car. i was going to take some before and after shots of the Carnidge but couldnt bring myslef to do it. Well you guys up north hate winter I know but we have lovebug season twice a year. Nasty Nasty Nasty.....:evil:

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I am trying not to travel too much for the next couple of weeks...Hate those little love machines.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've been using Meguiar's Ulitmate Quick Detailer to get these off between washings.

How are you folks getting them off of the radiator grill? Any special brush to keep the fins from getting damaged? Special techniques?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Zarcero said:
I've been using Meguiar's Ulitmate Quick Detailer to get these off between washings.

How are you folks getting them off of the radiator grill? Any special brush to keep the fins from getting damaged? Special techniques?
I use a technique called: "Drive the VW everywhere and leave the BULLITT at home under the cover"

And it's been working well for me.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
They make small plastic rakes for straightening the fins on radiators and condensors. They should work, there are a few different sizes.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
The Bullitt has been sitting in my shop for the last six weeks as I slowly do some minor repairs. Saw the first love bug arond here on April 25th and decided I was in no hurry to finish the car.

Usually three weeks after you see the first ones, they will be at their worst. Then, you get the second season of them in late summer. For the past few years, here anyway, they have not been as bad. Some years you see vehicles so covered in them you wonder how people can see out of the windshield.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After 40 years in Florida, I have no regrets moving to North Georgia. The Lovebugs don't travel this far. You have my sympathies.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Would waxing the front of the car and not removing the wax help getting the bugs off?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
I use a technique called: "Drive the VW everywhere and leave the BULLITT at home under the cover"

And it's been working well for me.
Hey! That's a great technique. Whodda thought? Thanks! :lol:

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
I hate these little @[email protected]@$&#*[email protected]@!!!!!!!! They destroy paint and hardly nothing will eat them except the front of your vehicle. Motorcylists get it even worse...I remember having black teeth....figured out why nothing eats them.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Frankenstang said:
...Motorcylists get it even worse...I remember having black teeth....figured out why nothing eats them.
Ewww! The thought of eating them while they are fornicating. Just another reason for wearing my full-face Shoei! :smile:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
When I lived in LA (aka Lower Alabama) these things destroyed the front of my truck. I had never encountered them before and didn't realize the damage they could do if not washed off immediately. Thank goodness I was able to leave them behind.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I was in Orlando for a week last spring and was shocked at those things. You guys must not talk much about them because I'd never heard about them before. We rented a car to travel to Cape Canaveral and I have never seen such a mess. It was like driving in snow except they were black. That beat the mess left on my car driving across Aligator Alley during the night a few years earlier. When my friends complain about cleaning bugs I tell them they have no ideal how bad it can be.
By the way we sell a product called Bug-Be-Gone here at work-Its made by the same folks that make SeaFoam. It really works-just make sure you follow the directions and don't use it when the paint is hot.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,277 Posts
Oh man, those are nasty/scary looking bugs! :shock: I would have a scream attack if one of those landed on me. :lol:
<---(hates bees and spiders too)

Eating bugs reminds me of something when I was a teenager many moons ago. :) I was sunbathing out in my parent's back yard and decided to make a bologna sandwich with lettuce. I went back outside to lay on my back facing the sun with closed eyes and took a huge bite out of my crispy sandwich. I crunched down a little crunchier than I had expected and tasted something a little tangy/tart. I looked down at my sandwich and there was this HUGE honkin flying beetle on my sandwich! I had bit into him and cut him in half! I threw the sandwich down and let out a blood curtling scream and ran into the house. :lol: Will ever forget that event.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
TwoStangWmn said:
What the he!! are lovebugs? Flying Volkswagons? :confused: We don't have them up here. We have love birds....
One of the advantages of living in a northern climate!

None of these nasty little buggers

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
Ah, but you have that nasty white stuff that requires salt on the roads for months and causes auto cancer. Rather deal with the bugs.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,277 Posts
Frankenstang said:
Ah, but you have that nasty white stuff that requires salt on the roads for months and causes auto cancer. Rather deal with the bugs.
They haven't used salt on our roads up here for years. They use some sort of liquid solution that is sprayed on the roads, especially at intersections. It supposedly is not supposted to be as hard on vehicles as the salt mixture was. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts