Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last tuesday I just picked up my new Bullit #755. I read through the manual and it says to vary your speed for the first 1000 miles.

I have been driving it around after work. I haven't been too hard on it. I have had it to 5k rpm once while shifting, and the rest of the time I usually shift around 3k or 4 when I want to show out, the rest of the time its between 2500 and 3k I have put 400 miles on it in the last 3 days and I have not dropped the clutch once.

I have killed it a few time starting from a stand still because I haven't quite got the rpm to clutch release yet. I have only drivin manuals so I'm not a noob to them. I seem to have to get the rpm's to about 1500 to have a semi decent take off.

Am I doing it right?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
This is a very controversial topic. Some like to do it slow and easy and some believe in well, drive it like you stole it ;)

I am in the latter category.

I broke my engine in on the highway very early in the morning when there was limited traffic. I ran it hard from a stop, from the shoulder of the road, to the RPM limiter in 3rd gear, and then let it coast down to 30 MPH. When I hit 30 MPH, I accelerated to the highway speed limit and allowed the car to cool down for about five minutes. I did not burn-out from a stand still and I did this cycle for the next two hours.

A friend who has a 05 Mustang did this same procedure and was very happy with the power, performance, and gas mileage he got from his vehicle with this procedure.

Read Motoman's Break–in Secrets for a better understanding behind my reasoning for breaking in the engine this way.

BTW, I still drive my Bullitt like I stole it :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have been taking it easy with mine number 3374. It was suggested to me not to use the speed controle untile1500 miles were on the OD. It was suggested to try and keep the speed under 2000rpm. They like for it to be broken in although you're not supppose to need that? I really can't complaine because the firs three oil changes are on them.
I trust everything goes well for you and your new Bullitt,
jimmy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow,this moto guy is making blanket statements mostly based on bikes/snowmobiles that I would not follow on a car but to each his own.Everything on the car needs time and easy miles to "mate" together including trans,clutch,rear diff,brakes,etc.I like to give them a reasonable easy 500 miles,vary speeds and maybe a few spirited 3k up shifts.Then at the 500 mark drain the oil/filter and get more aggressive,no full throttle upshifts till maybe 750 miles.Then let her rip.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
glennster5.0 said:
Wow,this moto guy is making blanket statements mostly based on bikes/snowmobiles that I would not follow on a car but to each his own.Everything on the car needs time and easy miles to "mate" together including trans,clutch,rear diff,brakes,etc.I like to give them a reasonable easy 500 miles,vary speeds and maybe a few spirited 3k up shifts.Then at the 500 mark drain the oil/filter and get more aggressive,no full throttle upshifts till maybe 750 miles.Then let her rip.
Huh?

Manufacturing processes are pretty-much standardised nowadays. Metallurgy has also come a LONG way since the '80s. Other than the clutch-lining and brake pads, your car is about 99% "broken in" the first time the engine is cranked-over.

So far as gears "wearing in" to one-another: if the lubricant is doing its job, the "polished mating-surface" that you're thinking about isn't going to occur for tens of thousands of miles.

DRIVE the car.

Don't be afraid you'll break it.

If it does break with spirited-use - it's not because you drove it the way it was designed - it's because something wasn't "up to snuff" when it was built, and babyin' the damn thing isn't going to make a weak or flawed part any stronger. :rolleyes:

It really IS as simple as all that.

·
Registered
825 Posts
With today's computer controlled modern automotive manufacturing plants your engine is designed to within tens of thousandths of an inch tolerances. Break-in periods are a thing of the past. I had the salesman holding onto the dash for support on my "test" drive....I'm not kidding either. You baby it if it makes you feel better....but if it's got something wrong with the motor I'd like to know up front.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry,the man asked for opinions on what people are comfortable with and I gave mine.There is no reason to hammer the hell out of a new car with 20 miles on it unless you don't GAF or you're a magazine tester who dosent make the payments.Show some patience and let things take a set then have fun.

And as far as opinions,a lack of letting things mate up will cause long term reliablity.Thats IMHO only.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
RCSignals said:
Just do as the manual says. Vary your speed for the first 1000 miles. Vary your driving style. Don't just drive it slow and easy and don't just drive it like you stole it.

I went from new stick driver to novice during the first 1,000 miles, so I would say that I varied my driving style a bit. :D

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hmmmm, where's Jimmy Ray?

Been waiting all afternoon for his trademark phrase: Break it in by "driving it like you stole it"...

:rotfl:

·
Registered
72 Posts
This can be answered 2 different ways, depending on your intended use of the car.If you are going to leave your car in the garage until the next sunny Saturday and then drive to the malt shop and have lunch while you watch everyone look at your car in the parking lot,break it in easy.If you are like me,you will drive it firmly to get the juices flowing and then it's time to play.My car has 800 miles on it in 3 weeks and 16 auto-x runs under its belt.We each bought our Bullitt for different reasons,so there is no right answer.I just happen to think that a car like this was meant to be driven hard and often.Enjoy yours as you see fit,I will wave to you at the drive-in on my way home from the races!Steve.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I took mine easy for the first 500 miles, shifting no higher than 2500. I'd run it up to redline after it was warmed up to keep from getting a lip on the cylinder, but only once in a while. I was also careful to vary the speeds and not use the cruise control.

After 500 miles I started to let it go up to 3000 or so with regularity, but again, vary speeds and go all the way up to redline every once in a while. No hard launches until i hit 1000, but you better believe the first stoplight I got to after that I dumped the clutch at 4000 :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.