Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising to work this morning on a nice road that I drive on everyday with lots of curves and hills. I was going about 50 (posted limit is 45) when I came to a blind curve bending to the right.

To my horror, sitting in the middle of the lane at a dead stop was an old beat up 70's Ford something-or-another with it's hazard lights flashing (in his defense, there was no shoulder for him to pull over to). I literally had the blink of an eye to react to it.:eek:

I cranked the wheel quite hard to the left and swerved into the on-coming lane where I cranked it hard back to the right to keep from slamming into the guard rail. At that moment I realized that in front of me was a hill where I couldn't see the on coming traffic! Just then, as Murphy would have it, an on coming car crested the hill, I thought I was done for sure. I cranked the wheel again hard to the right and put the pedal to the floor hoping I could get what I needed out of 4th gear (I had no time to shift).

Of course now I have to swerve back to the left to keep from slamming into the hillside just on the other side of the right lane and I have even more momentum now. When I swerved back to the left that's the first time I felt the rear wheels protest at the sharp turns by way of slipping.

The on-coming car missed me by what must have been no more than a couple inches. Man, I know I'd be dead if I was driving my last car. The Bullitt had the guts and the handling to pull me through quite a tough ordeal.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,207 Posts
OMG! I can just picture you like in the movies driving like that! Did you have Traction Control on or off? You did a good job keeping her under control, Mike, and not rolling her! I give you a toast: (As everyone raises their glasses, or cans) "To Mike, for showing all Bullittheads of Bullittclub proud.!!!!" :grin: :grin: :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2001-12-05 21:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hats off to you Mike. Nice piece of handling. Glad you're still here to tell the tale. How many years do you think you shaved off? :grin:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice Mike! good thing you came out of it ok. Besides last thing we need another destroyed Bullitt :wink:
--WH

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the compliments, but I can assure you all that it was not really any good driving on my part that got me through it. I was driving almost totally by reflex and didn't have any time to think about what I was doing.

For those that asked, I had traction control on, although on the way home I noticed that it may not be working. I'm starting another thread to ask about that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
WOW IT WASNT YOUR TIME TO GO YET.I ALWAYS SAY A HI - PERFORMANCE CAR WILL GET YOU OUT OF TROUBLE FAR MORE THAN IT WILL GET YOU IN TROUBLE, WITHIN REASON. NOW IF WE CAN JUST MAKE THE INSURANCE COMPANYS BELIEVE THE SAME WAY OF THINKING THEY WOULDNT TAKE SO MUCH OF OUR $$$..IF I HAD A CHOICE TO BE IN ANY MACHINE IN THE CRISIS SITUATION YOU FOUND YOURSELF IN IT WOULD BE A MUSTANG. THE CAR IS VERY PREDICTABLE,AND FORGIVING.AT LIMITS IT GIVES YOU THE FEEDBACK YOU NEED TO KEEP IT ON THE ROAD AND OFF ANTHING MOVING OR STANDING STILL.I HOPE I NEVER SEE WHAT YOU SAW , BUT ITS NICE TO KNOW YOUR CAR WILL REACT TO YOUR REFLEXES SMARTLY AND PULL YOU THRU TO SEE ANOTHER SUNRISE.....RICK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts