Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha, well, I was at a friend's wedding yesterday just hanging out in the reception with my gf. My friend comes in from getting something from his car and asks me, "Korey, did you drive your Bullitt and is it parked out back?" I told him yes. He laughed and said that a new black Dodge charger parked in front of me (must have went around me and parked up front) and as people were leaving, they were posing with my car for pictures. He said there were a lot of people eyeing it. It cracked me up. He sat there and watched like 30 people go by getting pics with both cars. I just thought I'd share!

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
40,822 Posts
wally05 said:
Haha, well, I was at a friend's wedding yesterday just hanging out in the reception with my gf. My friend comes in from getting something from his car and asks me, "Korey, did you drive your Bullitt and is it parked out back?" I told him yes. He laughed and said that a new black Dodge charger parked in front of me (must have went around me and parked up front) and as people were leaving, they were posing with my car for pictures. He said there were a lot of people eyeing it. It cracked me up. He sat there and watched like 30 people go by getting pics with both cars. I just thought I'd share!
The wedding thing is cool, Korey. Did you take any pics of the two cars and the people milling around them?

I have a question about your '68 GT/CS. Are you SURE that it came with a 302cid mill? I don't seem to remember the 302 even being out back then. But, I could be wrong...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, by the time I got out there, they were leaving. My friend got some pics, so hopefully I can get them.

Yep, the 302 replaced the 289 late in the '68 model year. My gt/cs was produced very late in the model year. I can't remember the details, but the 2v 289 was slowly phased out when they added the 4v 302 and then a 2v 302 came out. There are not a whole lot of 4v 302 cars with the original drivetrain still around. Most of them have been bored out and abused. A lot of people ask me the same question, but the 302 did debut late in the '68 model year. It just wasn't big yet.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
StvMcQueen said:
The wedding thing is cool, Korey. Did you take any pics of the two cars and the people milling around them?

I have a question about your '68 GT/CS. Are you SURE that it came with a 302cid mill? I don't seem to remember the 302 even being out back then. But, I could be wrong...
Korey is correct! 289 Challenger 2 bbl carb, 302 with 2 bbl or 4bbl carbs optional plus a whole list of others. Starting with the 68 model year, maybe Job 2 instead of Job 1. But there just the same. ;-)

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Nice ................

wally05 said:
Korey,

Nice story and it would be cool to see some pics of the people and your Bullitt.

Terry

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DavidMidgley said:
Korey is correct! 289 Challenger 2 bbl carb, 302 with 2 bbl or 4bbl carbs optional plus a whole list of others. Starting with the 68 model year, maybe Job 2 instead of Job 1. But there just the same. ;-)

Thanks for the backup, David! :) It is confusing somewhat. I've already had two potential buyers that came to look at the car tell me that it can't be the original drivetrain b/c 302 v8s were not out yet... I just shake my head. :)

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
wally05 said:
Thanks for the backup, David! :) It is confusing somewhat. I've already had two potential buyers that came to look at the car tell me that it can't be the original drivetrain b/c 302 v8s were not out yet... I just shake my head. :)
They clearly do not know what they are talking about, or they are not willing to pay the price of admission to owning your car. And using that as an excuse to walk away. The 302 was common as fur on a cat, even in 68. A quick perusal of someplace like ebay even will show that was probably one of most common engines that year. Everyone was wanting one in their Mustang then. It sticks in my mind as my mother bought a new Falcon, but would not buy the Mustang with the 302 autobox:cry: . She was afraid I would kill myself in it:rolleyes: . So it was a Falcon with the 200 cid six popper as the "family" car. Really had me torqued:mad: . That was in February of 68, btw:smile: .

·
Registered
969 Posts
yep, ford let the 302 cat out of the bag in 68, and they were everywhere in 69. i had a 2 barrell in my 69 fastback. kind of sad in a way though...that car looked like it was doing 90 mph sitting still in a parking lot, and it wouldn't run for squat compared to alot of other cars of the day. still, it was fun to drive and looked great!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Soooooooo ummm did you change into your ball cap and flip flops after the wedding or did they go with the outfit?

J/K... but that is funny!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Madpoodle said:
Story I was told was that they ran out of 289 engines, started using he 302's. Mine was badged 289, but wasn't...
That's more a result of the guy doing emblems not having or knowing the right one to apply to the front clip. Back in the day I remember the clip was built up separately from the rest of the car, then added after the engine and tranny were dropped into the unitbody. Maybe he didn't read his build sheet? IDK. Assembly line faux pax. That's :-F for he wasn't doing his job.

The 289 was offered and installed on several MY 69 vehicles, so I doubt that running out was the issue. Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
HMM, have you ever seen a 68 with a 302 badge? For that matter, I've never seen a 69 with a 289 badge..

Not saying it couldn't happen, I have a buddy with a truck that is badged gmc on one side and chevy on the other...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.