Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of you changing, or considering changing, our stock exhaust setup. Some say the 2000 RPM drone is a bit annoying.

I LOVE THE WONDERFUL SOUND OF OUR BULLITTS' DRONE!!

I think there is nothing sweeter than the constant burble from our pipes while cruising the highways at 65-70 in 5th! I sometimes sandbag it for wee bit...just so I can feather the gas to hear it "sing" again.

Am I nuts?

·
Premium Member
18,831 Posts
I roll the windows down and
turn off AC/DC, BadCo, Skynyrd, LedZep,
etc, just to hear it!

I love the sound of the stock pipes!

DHG #3875
Modifications:
BULLITT chase scene recreated on rear dash
with Revell 1/25 scale 68 GT 390 Fastback
and 68 Charger R/T metal body models. Unfortunately the hub caps don't come off the Charger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collin Wayne on 2001-12-09 22:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
451 Posts
I absolutely love the drone. I wish it was louder and existed through a larger RPM range. Admittedly, if I already have a headache for any other reason, I usually realize when I shut the engine off that the drone aggravates it. BUT, how often does that happen? :smile:

Drone -->
<--Me

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Absolutely LOVE the sound. If I want to get rid of the drone I drive in a lower gear to raise the RPMs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wouldn't have it any other way!

It's funny, when I first got the car, I thought Ford forgot to install the rear floor of the car. It sounded (sounds) like the exhaust is right under the carpet! :lol:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I love the sound. Don't mind it one bit. It makes the drive more fun and gives you the urge to push the car a little harder and have some fun.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
What I really love is playing Twilight Zone (AKA Bullet to the bone) by Golden Earring, with that drone in the background.

Talk about mood music,............ YEOWZA!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I loved the stock sound but wanted it LOUDER. So (to keep it smog inspection legal) I installed a MAC highflow H with 2 cats.
This pumped up the volume a bit but made the drone from 1,900-2,300 rpms much worse. I was finding it hard to avoid, especially on the freeway unless I drove in 4th, and the resonance would actually hurt my ears with the windows up.
I welded in stainless steel MAC FlowPath mufflers into the stock catback and now all is fine in the world. The volume and sound are PERFECT, and the drone lives in a much smaller rpm range (right on 2,000)that's easy to pass through quickly, or play with the edges of it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dennis, I wish guys like you that have made these exhaust mods could record a sound bite of the setup, so we could all hear it on this site. It sure does sound like you have an awesome symphony undernearth your ride! :cool:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm right with you, Dennis, loved it, but wanted more volume!! :grin: :grin: So, I have a set of Spin Tech Pro Street mufflers ordered, and will get them installed this week. They say the Spin Techs sound awesome, but they don't drone due to the unique design. I won't know until I get them installed, but if anyone wants to check them out, their website is www.spintechmufflers.com. :smile:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I wish I had the know-how and equipment to record this for you. Maybe I'll get a friend that knows what he's doing and get a sound bite on the waves for ya.
As for SpinTechs...I am looking forward to hearing that report. In my resewarch, they seemed to be more or less an unknown item, though their website makes the product look promising.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
What drone? I don't hear nuthin but the sweet sound of a well tuned exhaust........

·
Registered
716 Posts
The drone was way cool. It sounds very close to sound of the original car in the Bullitt movie. It also helps to drown out the sound of ricers trying to keep up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts