Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Peter and I'm new here. I'm all but decided I'm going to buy an 08 Bullitt. I've been holding off in getting a new car for maybe 2 years now, just waiting for the right car to come along. And with the recent heavy rains in Northern CA, my 2002 BMW 330i is leaking like a sieve (long story involving 4 massively defective window regulators). I have an old Mustang and have been jonesing for the new body style. And the understated "sleeper" aspect of the Bullitt is right up my alley. So the "elephant in the room" I'm referring to in the title is pricing.

I'm amazed and impressed that there isn't more chatter about that around here and I even looked for a sticky or rule that said it shouldn't be discussed but couldn't find one. So I figured I'd start a thread with what's a realistic price for the 08 Bullitt. I pass within spitting distance of 3 Ford dealers on my commute, and the first one I visited wanted sticker + $9k! They said that's what they sold their first one for. I'm sorry, I'm not interested.

My wife called a local one for me and they're looking for $3k over sticker and planning to list it on eBay. I checked out eBay closed auctions and it looks like no one's sold one for over sticker, at least not by much. And a few sold without reserve look like they may have been a dollar or two under.

So is it OK to start a discussion of what the going rate at the local dealer is? What are people able to negotiate? I'm in the Bay Area and have access to about 10 dealers in relatively short driving distance, but it's also Bullitt-land and that may increase the local interest. I don't have my heart set on any of the options and could really go either way on any of them, although I'm not likely to sign up for satellite radio and would prefer not to have a bolt-on antenna.

So anyway, I wanted to open the floors for discussion to educate me and anyone else in my same predicament. Yes, I'm trying to save a buck (or 2500...), but I think there may be a few people interested in the same. If this is verboten, I apologize and please remove the posting.

·
Registered
803 Posts
MSRP or under is the only way I'd go. They are out there. If you have to deal with a good dealer out of state that will ship the car to you... that is sometimes even cheaper. ADMs on these cars are a waste. :)

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Welcome. No problem with discussing price I would not pay over MSRP. There are many dealers that are selling for this price. In fact there is a Ford dealer in FL tat will order one for you at invoice price and have it shipped it to any Ford dealer in the US.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Most people who have bought one report buying at or below MSRP.
It should be easy to find a dealer to sell at that. One that has posted here, Jordan Ford in San antonio will sell for 2.9% over invoice.

Someone from LA bought from Galpin Ford at MSRP, even though they started over.

I've watched the eBay auctions, none have sold over MSRP, and the ones that have appeared to have pretty much all been re-listed. So they didn't really sell.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Hi Peter,
Welcome and good luck with finding your car. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that Bullitts are selling for anything over MSRP. They are not.

As we all have watched ebay, it is very rare for any new Bullitt to sell for MSRP+, and those are probably dealers bidding on their own cars to make it look good.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Welcome aboard.The others have pretty much summed up on the purchase part.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I ordered mine at Jordan Ford in San Antonio. I confirm that they sell them at 2.9% over invoice, which in my case (I ordered a lot of options) came to 4.4% UNDER MSRP. I don't know if they ship out of state but you could always arrange for that yourself or fly to Texas and have fun driving back to California. The sales guy to talk to is George Epstein. Good luck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Peter, I order all the Mustangs for a large volume Ford dealership in the Northwest. Since day one we have offered Bullitts for MSRP to anyone interested. We've already sold several at MSRP. Well sold all 8 of our 2001 Bullitts at MSRP, as well. While the Bullitt is an awesome factory Mustang, it has a smaller following than the ADM-crazy Shelby GT500's, so most of us dealers realize this is an MSRP car at the most.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks for the "ammunition" (pun intended). I may grab the checkbook and take a drive this weekend. I'm not in a hurry and I believe that once the dust settles, these may end up dropping a bit in value and I have no interest in driving around a hunter green reminder of getting ripped off for the next 5-25 years.

That being said, I really like the looks, the concept, and the history, so I could be a little vulnerable to a dealer that has the right one on the way.

I forgot to mention in my original post: are there any current incentives we can take advantage of? I can't see any type of cash back, but can we get 0% financing or anything else to make it a little more attractive? Floor mats? :smile:

Also, what's the current thinking on negotiating when you have a trade-in? I'd prefer not to sell my car via private party.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
no current incentives and as of 9 Jan ford removed it from 'plan' eligibility.
Kind of a dumb move on he part of Ford for this car

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ordered mine at msrp in SoCal. Additionals was never an issue.
Keep calling dealers, especially ones located in less affluent areas for the best offers. Do not pay over msrp. Good luck!

PR :rolling:

·
Registered
280 Posts
6t6Mustang said:
Also, what's the current thinking on negotiating when you have a trade-in? I'd prefer not to sell my car via private party.
Get a good idea of what your trade-in is worth at websites such as www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com. Be sure to accurately list miles, condition, and equipment to get the best idea of what you should be offered by any dealership. Use the dealer's zip code, as trade-in values truly fluctuate around the country. Keep in mind that those websites are a guide to your trade-in's value, and your trade-in may actually bring less money if it's an unpopular or hard-to-sell model, or it may bring more money if it's a rig that's in high demand.

Many states offer a sales tax credit when you trade in that makes selling private party not as advantageous as you might think. I'm in Washington, and we have a tax credit. You only pay sales tax on the difference between the price of the new car, and how much you are given for your trade-in. Hopefully, CA is the same for your sake.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Five Oh B said:
Get a good idea of what your trade-in is worth at websites such as www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com. Be sure to accurately list miles, condition, and equipment to get the best idea of what you should be offered by any dealership. Use the dealer's zip code, as trade-in values truly fluctuate around the country. Keep in mind that those websites are a guide to your trade-in's value, and your trade-in may actually bring less money if it's an unpopular or hard-to-sell model, or it may bring more money if it's a rig that's in high demand.

Many states offer a sales tax credit when you trade in that makes selling private party not as advantageous as you might think. I'm in Washington, and we have a tax credit. You only pay sales tax on the difference between the price of the new car, and how much you are given for your trade-in. Hopefully, CA is the same for your sake.
thanks Five Oh B, I just checked out the going rate. I would have forgotten to check that and then kicked myself when I got there. par for the course.

In your experience, do dealers typically offer what KBB lists assuming I'm being realistic with condition? My 2002 330i is in good shape, has all the performance bells and whistles, low miles, but 5 Speed which isn't all that common in the land of hot tubs and peacock feathers. If I got the book rate trade-in value I'd be relatively happy that I didn't have to go through the private party hassle.

I think CA did away with the tax credit for trade-ins some 10 years ago. if they didn't then they soon will with the current fiscal crisis!

·
Registered
280 Posts
6t6Mustang said:
In your experience, do dealers typically offer what KBB lists assuming I'm being realistic with condition?
Again, that depends on the market for your BMW. I won't pretend to know the market on BMW's, but if it's a popular model in a popular color with popular equipment, then KBB will likely be a good number and you may even get more than KBB's suggested trade in value. However, if your BMW is a model that nobody loves, or is a silly color or is lacking equipment that most people would desire, then KBB's suggested trade-in value may be optimistic. That 5-speed may make it less desirable to the general public (even though a true enthusiast would prefer it).

At least knowing the KBB trade-in value gives you a ball-park estimate what any dealer should be offering. Print it and take it with you to the dealership. Pull it out only when necessary (like in the event they really lowball your trade-in's value!).

Also keep in mind that many dealers will play #'s games. They'll pay you more than your trade is worth, but then stick you with a higher price on the new car (so read the contract and purchase order very well line by line before signing!!!). Therefor, know how much you're willing to pay for the Bullitt, and how much your willing to take on your BMW, and don't let the deal stray far from that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts