Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For several years I have tried to get that sound you hear, on any 99-04 Mustang GT, when you blip the throttle or downshift thru the gears...you know, that nice rolling, rumble and pop,from my 1985 351 LX.
Now that highly tuned Windsor,over 400 HP should have plenty of beef to deliver that sound. But after all the exhaust systems I have tried...Magnaflows,Pypes Violators, now Flowmaster Super 40's with 3 inch Scavenge D mid pipe and 3 inch tailpipe tips, still can't deliver that beloved rumble of the 99-04 4.6 Mustang.
What's the secret?
Now the 85 isn't quiet,it's just missing that rumble and pop!
Both cars have LT headers,the Bullitt with the full KOOK's setup with X-pipe and the MAC catback. Bullitt wins the trophy for exhaust sound!
I'll bet the MAC setup on the 85 wouldn't sound like the Bullitt either!
One time I tried a pair of Bullitt mufflers on the LX and it didn't sound anywhere as good as when on the Bullitt!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Is the airpump on your car still functionl on your car, because it is the pump and related plumbing that creates that nice sound when decelerating. The first time I heard that "popping" was on a new 68 Shelby KR. Of course, back in the day, one of the first things was to remove the hp-robbing pump and accessories. The sound, described by one automotive journalist as "a raffish snaffling" disappeared after we removed the pump.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No cats on either Mustang. The 99-04 4.6 engines did not have an air pump. No air pump on this 351 Windsor either.
I believe the EFI system has a lot to do with it. The 351 is carbed.
I made some internal mods to the Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers today, that have added some rumble to the exhaust. Removed the third V shaped baffle,the 44's have only 2, and machined a 1 3/8ths dia. flow hole thru the center of the two remaining Delta Flow baffles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.