Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm

I had a bit of free time over my spring break so I decided to give it a try. After 15 minutes of contorting my body to find a position in which to tighten the damn hose clamps the B was ready to roll. I gotta say the improved throttle response is noticeable and it was worth the two-something dollars and neck/shoulder/back/arm cramps. In first and second the B really throws me back in my seat (actually scared me, and it still does), much more so than when the gas pedal was in its original position.

Anyways just wondering if anyone else has done it. If not, give it a try.

Later

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well aint that a hoot !!!!

About a week ago I put the new Bullitt/Mach pedals in the Coupe and noticed the same thing, never saw the link, but I just picked up a cable clamp and set screw with a little loctite. Much better feel to the pedals, also added a few shims to the dead pedal for better fitment...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Interesting

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bullitt2436KM said:
ive never heard of this....what did u do to it
I simply took up the slack in the throttle cable...if you lift up on the bottom of the gas pedal so that the top of the accelerator lever is pulled back you'll notice about 1 3/4 to 2" of slack sticking out. I made a spacer using abut an inch of nylon tubing and slipped it over the excess cable and tightened it down w/ two little hose clamps. The hard part was finding a position in which I could tighten the clamps down.... I have a relatively small build and it definitely was not easy for me to reach up under the dash.

Hmmm, this thread was buried quick...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
This sounds like an important thing to do and I have to wonder why Ford doesn't just sell the car with this already done. I looked at the picture and still don't understand exactly what to do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just did the mod to #32. Started with 1 1/4" of fuel line (idle went to the moon), ended up using about 3/4". The first attempt was just pulling up the slack and installing while contorted under the dash. PITA. Then I got under the hood, and un-hooked the cable from the throttle body, giving much more room to play with. Joy.
SOTP says it's a good thing. Plus it was free.
Thanks for posting this tip, McQ.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I haven't checked the Bullitt on this but...
I had a 1984 F250 that was carbureted and if you depressed the gas pedal all the way the butterfly vales would only open three quarters of the way. I did exactly the same mod as the SVT forum has pictures of and it made a huge difference in performance. Now I'm wondering if the Bullitts throttle body only opens part of the way that’s why people are reporting gains after doing this.

·
3,389 Posts
I checked this out today and found no matter how much slack there is, the throttle body is always at max when the pedal is fully depressed. The only thing this mod does is set the gas pedal higher, which if you're used to driving a certain way comfort wise, you will not be comfortable any more. Also, after I did it, I found switching from the brake pedal to the gas pedal it caused my foot to get stuck on the side of the gas pedal resulting in some interesting braking and gas applications when you probably don't want to do that...
My opinion on this mod, two thumbs down (for Bullitts anyway).

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I just tried this mod. Makes the throttle real touchy when first getting into it. Feels good though,but there won't be any extra power. I believe Ford did some work on the throttle linkage,on the Bullitts, for a quicker response feel. I read that when the Bullitt first came out.
Anyway it is an easy quick mod that can be put back to stock quickly.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I put this mod on this morning, and then rode around to get a feel for it.

Honestly, I think it's more of a mental mod than a performance mod. HOWEVER...

It does add a little element of fun. It also seems like there is a more responsive pedal. I ended up between 3/4" and an 1" long. I gave it just a tiny bit of buffer space which I didn't notice in playing. It is also a little easier to heel toe the beast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts