Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,if it comes to be, what models of Chrysler/Dodge,would get the axe? If the Challenger survives,would it still be refered to as a Dodge product? GM with the Challenger/Camaro duo for 2009? Now that is wild!
Wonder how this mix will be reflected in NASCAR and NHRA?
Finally,will the new merger "GM" come to mean "General Mopar" or the new "AM"...American Motors!

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
I've wondered that myself. I think they will be seperate entities of GM (Cadillac-Chevrolet-Pontiac-GMC-Buick-Chrysler-Dodge-etc.) However it could be like Ford-Lincoln-Mercury, as in General Motors-Chrysler. Will the GM styling guys take over? Will they still look like Dodges? It will be interesting. As far as how it affects Nascar/NHRA, I really don't care. I quit watching NASCAR years ago and I really only like the drag racing like the F.A.S.T. cars you've posted before. :clap:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
If this happens, I expect the Chrysler vehicles to start looking more and more like GM (ugly). That is how they will save money, by sharing parts. Hmmmm, how about the Hemi powered Camaro.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well, I am thinking about buying one of the Chevy Challengers R/T's with the trak pac option.

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
If the GM buyout occurs expect to see only the Jeep brand, 300/Charger, mini-vans and maybe the Sprinter survive long term. You could make a case for the dropping of the 300/Charger (and Challenger) platform. This is going to be a case of cutting off a limb (Chrysler) to save a patient (GM).

·
Registered
410 Posts
GM want's to sell HUMMER and kill GMC. Pontiac will slowly die. As will the Dodge car line up. Chrysler will be just the 300 and a rebranded Charger. Only Jeep will survive as we know it. The Chinees fleet of chery's will still be imported. Chevy Line will be compacted. Bye bye Cavalier, to make room for the Volt. Challenger will survive for 3 years tops, due the already rediculous investment in it. Then they will be as noted above the "new" American Motor's.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I think that's it. In a couple of years it will be just Jeep and maybe the minivans. The rest will be taken out behind the shed.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Latest update....The Gov't says NO about giving GM a big loan to pull of the deal. They don't want any taxpayer money involved that would result in big job losses.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Hmmm, looks like GM will need to become a bank. Then Hank could get them what they need to operate ;)

What is everyone's best guess, dollar wise, to what GM, Chrysler and Ford would need to avoid collapse and massive layoffs? $100B? $200B? It's beyond me why .gov focuses so much on bailing out money shufflers, but turns a blind eye to companies that actually produce something. I'm not a big fan of any bailout. But realizing they will happen, I'd just as soon hand it over to someone else.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why does the Gov't give big easy bailout money to the BIG guys and forget about the common hard working man? How about NO tax on the, out of a job, guy's severence pay!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts