Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yesterday i was changing my h-pipe back to stock so i could get it smogged and i had decided to look at the wear on my tires since they were easy to get at while 1078 was in the air. while 1078 is on the ground i can see all but about 1 inch of the tire touching the gground and for a while i thought just the outside was wearing fast since it has not been aligned since being lowered in august of last year. i found that the inside inch of the tire was almost through the steel belt! i couldn't believe how fast it wore compared to the rest. that is the good. so i have the stock front tires on now. it isn't as obvious a change as i thought it would be. the bad is my car is VERY quiet now and i need new tires asap.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
DHG #1078 said:
so yesterday i was changing my h-pipe back to stock so i could get it smogged and i had decided to look at the wear on my tires since they were easy to get at while 1078 was in the air. while 1078 is on the ground i can see all but about 1 inch of the tire touching the gground and for a while i thought just the outside was wearing fast since it has not been aligned since being lowered in august of last year. i found that the inside inch of the tire was almost through the steel belt! i couldn't believe how fast it wore compared to the rest. that is the good. so i have the stock front tires on now. it isn't as obvious a change as i thought it would be. the bad is my car is VERY quiet now and i need new tires asap.
What's the problem? Too much tire and not enough wheel width? Alignment? I'd spend the money and find out fast if it was me. That's dangerous to be on the steel belts!:idea:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the alignment. i checked the caster and there is way way too much negative camber. but just to look at it you would never guess it. so i have to put the caster camber plates i got for it on soon. im going on a trip this thursday and i work every day till then so i can't before the trip. im planning on doing it the weekend after. im going to be gone for 9 days. going to pismo beach to ride our quads. i gotta decide what tires i want too. i have summitomos (sp?) HTR Z's and i will never get them again. they are the definition of P.O.S. but they are like 90 bucks each. so im running my stock wheels and tires up front until then.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Why are the Sumitomos POS?? I know several that run them here and have had no issues including me. Mine handle exceptionally wel on dry and wet roads. It's not the tires fault the allignment is off.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
droopysbullitt said:
Why are the Sumitomos POS?? I know several that run them here and have had no issues including me. Mine handle exceptionally wel on dry and wet roads. It's not the tires fault the allignment is off.
its not that its just they are really slick. they break loose all the time. i basically have to drive slower than a grandma to not break loose. they scare the crap out of me in the rain too. i actually spun out in the rain going around an easy turn at like 7 mph at the absolute most. that was before i lowered the car.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
You might try going to http:// www.tirerack.com That is where I go to read up on tires that people have purchased and then write comments about. It is a great place to help you select a tire that fits your needs. I usually find the tire I need there and have a local guy get them for me that installs them.
DCLmustang
Casey

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya thats where i buy my tires usually. when i got my wheels they had a great package deal on them with the sumitomos i got.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hmm. I dont know why your tires are giving you such a hard time. What size tire on what size rim? Could be the whole footprint isnt contacting the road, in addition to your alignment problem. I replaced my stockers with the Sumi's last year and I think they're a decent tire for the money. Mine handle fine on dry road. Wet roads are ok... no different than any other tire I've used over the years.. including the BFG's, and the treadwear seems fine too.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
MK'sBullitt said:
Hmm. I dont know why your tires are giving you such a hard time. What size tire on what size rim? Could be the whole footprint isnt contacting the road, in addition to your alignment problem. I replaced my stockers with the Sumi's last year and I think they're a decent tire for the money. Mine handle fine on dry road. Wet roads are ok... no different than any other tire I've used over the years.. including the BFG's, and the treadwear seems fine too.
That's my experience. Also check your tire pressure. I run around 28 LBs in my 315s. and 32 in my 275s. I did notice that when I had too much air in them I was breaking loose.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
droopysbullitt said:
That's my experience. Also check your tire pressure. I run around 28 LBs in my 315s. and 32 in my 275s. I did notice that when I had too much air in them I was breaking loose.
i think i have too much air pressure in them but i don't think that much. i haven't checked in a while. how much extra does it take to do that? i have 315's on 10.5 wheels. and 275's on 9 inchers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have had no problems with the sumitomo's, wet or dry. Always running about 32-34 psi in each and at about 10,000 miles on them still no problems. They won't grab as well as the more expensive tires, but I don't think it is just the tires if you are spinning out going carefully around a turn.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
+2 for tirerack. That's where I bought the A/T's for the Exploder and some DR's for the Bull. They were cheaper + shipping than any place local for me. I just put them on myself at a friend's shop. Man, the BFG's have a stiff sidewall!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts