·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Yes he should buy it and join IMBOC.

·
Registered
42 Posts
*is that guy*

It is a horribly tempting car, I will have to admit. Now I just have to convince myself it is worth the money, convince my wife that it is worth the money and worth giving up our current car, and then actually do it. I will get back to you, though :).

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Go for it

Linoge said:
*is that guy*

It is a horribly tempting car, I will have to admit. Now I just have to convince myself it is worth the money, convince my wife that it is worth the money and worth giving up our current car, and then actually do it. I will get back to you, though :).
Prior to purchasing my Bullitt, I looked at a number of cars and in most cases they all run in the upper $20s to low $30s. The MSRP of the Bullitt was on the upper end of what I was looking for but when I talked to the salesman and he came back with an offer close to Invoice, that was when I was sold. No counter offer, I took their first offer. That put it right in the middle of most of the other cars I looked at. IMHO, you get a lot of car for the money with the Bullitt (if you get the right deal). While the money was right and I loved it being a limited edition car, the primary reason we went with the Bullitt is the Dark Green color. None of the other cars we looked at were available in Dark Green and that is my wife's favorite color. Any other color (except maybe black) and it would still be sitting on the lot. You and your wife need to decide your priority but I think it is well worth the money compared to what else is available in the price range. One final note, not to be taken to lightly, it is an American car built in America by Americans.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Trust me, I wish it were that easy, Marc :).

The reason this situation is requiring so much convincing is because we do not really need the car. I have a 3-year-old Mazda 3, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. However, after driving past a Ford dealership a few times, and seeing a Bullitt parked out front, I decided to stop and take a look, and a test-drive later I was fascinated.

So, now comes the rationalization :). On every metric except power, acceleration, enjoyment, and possibly aesthetics, the 3 wins, so now I need to convince the financially responsible part of my brain it is worth it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Linoge said:

The reason this situation is requiring so much convincing is because we do not really need the car. I have a 3-year-old Mazda 3, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. However, after driving past a Ford dealership a few times, and seeing a Bullitt parked out front, I decided to stop and take a look, and a test-drive later I was fascinated.

So, now comes the rationalization :). On every metric except power, acceleration, enjoyment, and possibly aesthetics, the 3 wins, so now I need to convince the financially responsible part of my brain it is worth it.
Good luck with your decision. It took me a while to decide as well. I did a lot of digging on this board and heard feedback from a lot of smart people. The decision for me was even harder in that I don't use the car as a daily driver - it was hard to convince my brain (and wallet) to have a $30k + vehicle sit in the garage and get driven once a week. Once I finally did it though - no regrets. I look forward to when I can drive it and look for excuses to take a trip!!!!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
No, Trust Me...

Ok Here it is…

I bought a 2008 Shelby GT500, I took possession on January 5th 2008, after 22 months of waiting for my opportunity to order my dealers 4th and final 2007/2008 GT500. I absolutely LOVE this car. I have over 4500 miles on it now, Zero Disappointments.

We bought my wife a very unique new 1999 Toyota Camry. It was a black V-6 5-speed car with 16-inch sport wheels and tires, unique smoked chrome, and a one of only 15 sold in the entire northwest (San Francisco to Montana). We got it for $1800 under Invoice. Overall it looked really good FOR A TOYOTA CAMRY. But basically it was just a very utilitarian car. We drove it 140,000 miles and never had any issues with it. When we sold it, it still had all original brakes and pads front and rear (first car I ever had go 140,000 miles on original brakes).

We had been planning to replace my wife’s 1999 Camry in 2009. But we liked my new mustang so much I decided that my wife should get a new 2008 Mustang Bullitt (bang for the buck, maybe the BEST Mustang package Ford has ever done). So I made a custom Bullitt background for her computer with the question “What Would Steve Do?” on it.

So began my extensive lobbying effort to get her on board with replacing her daily driver 1999 Toyota Camry with a brand new 2008 Mustang GT Bullitt.

One night we drove my GT500 out to a town 10 miles away over a very narrow windy rural 55-mile per hour road. Windy roads are really enjoyable in my GT500. The next day my wife had to drive her old 1999 Toyota Camry to that town and back over that same road. That night, she said OK I’ll get the new Bullitt Mustang.

So we ordered her 2008 Bullitt. The first day she drove it to work, and on her way home she stopped at the store and was accosted by an admiring fan who could not stop raving about how cool her brand new Mustang Bullitt was. When she relayed this story to me, my response was, see you drove that damn Toyota for ten years and nobody ever told you how nice it was…

BTW:
Her best fuel mileage in the 189 horsepower V-6 Camry was 26.5 miles per gallon. We consistently get over 27 (27-29) MPG on the highway with the new 315 horsepower V-8 Bullitt. Mind you it is closer to 18-20 MPG around town. Her 12-mile mixed driving each way commute averages about 22 MPG. Starting and stopping really hurts the mileage.

Needless to say my wife is VERY HAPPY with her new Bullitt Daily Driver…
She has NO REGRETS!

There is absolutely no comparison between the Mazda 3 and the Mustang Bullitt. The Mazda 3 will NEVER hold a candle to the Bullitt.

Stop weighing and balancing, just get the Bullitt, you will have NO Regrets too…

Linoge said:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Linoge said:

I am a firm believer in financial responsibility. But I also realize that life is not complete unless it includes some of the fun things to give it balance. I consider the total 2008/2009 Bullitt package as something special that we may never see again. The car was my reward to myself for having been financially responsible. And I did not find it hard at all to rationalize the purchase - in fact, it is the best deal going. And it is easy to confirm that rationale of being a financially responsible Bullitt owner everytime that I look at the car, everytime that I sit in the car, and everytime that I drive the car. The value of owning a Bullitt? Priceless!:toocool:

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Where in TN. ??????????????

Linoge said:
*is that guy*

Linoge
aka "Linoge"

No Bullitt

Where in TN. :question: :question: :question:

I'm in Franklin, TN. 30 Approx. Miles South of Nashville, TN. on I-65 South.

Terry (tigerhonaker)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go over to Knoxville, then a little north to Clinton, TN to Ray Viles Ford and talk to Dan Varner, the sales mgr. He has 3 green ones. Expect invoice or a bit less. Good guy, great dealer, you'll leave very happy. Zero "funny stuff".

I flew down from upstate NY to there for my BLK 1402 and drove it home. Best two days of my live (well, almost)!

mogul2us

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, Jonesin. For me, the Bullitt would definitely be a daily driver, but that is part of the problem, I suppose. Something tells me I would more than enjoy driving her around, but I would hate to muck it up carrying God-knows-what home.

Thanks for the lengthy response, Black GT500. You are right that on a lot of metrics the 3 does not even fall in the same ballpark as the Bullitt. However, on some metrics, the 3 wins, hands down. For instance, my wife and I have done an amazing number of moves in a short marriage, and you would be surprised how much stuff can fit in the back of a compact hatchback - on sheer volume, the 3 wins. 'Course, this is applicable for road trips as well as moves, and everything else in between (even managed to fit a dresser in it - not sure a Mustang can swing that, nor am I sure I could fit my bicycle in the back of a Mustang like I can in the 3 :) ). By the same token, while we do not have one yet, the wife and I will probably have a child in the future, and loading it and its car seat in and out of a four door would be inordinately easier. It is good to hear about the gas mileage, though - the 3 is currently getting about 32ish on the highway (at a... high... rate of speed, no less) and 25ish in town, so I guess it would not be that big of a hit. That said, the EPA or whoever really need to recalibrate their testing systems, I do believe. Oh, and oddly enough, the 3 has gotten its fair share of compliments as well - Mazda did a good job designing it, in my opinion :) . But, on other metrics, the Mustang definitely wins, as I have already admitted... just a matter of what is important, I suppose.

Which, I guess, is the same reason I am going through the same kind of thought process, Dodging Bullitt. Unfortunately, I have a history of on-again, off-again financial responsibility, and this would definitely be an "off-again" situation :). Like I said, if we were in the market for a new car, this would be so much easier, but as it is, it is hard to write it off as anything except an infatuation and a toy.

Tigerhonaker, I am over in Eastern Tennessee, not too far from the places mogul2us mentioned.

Speaking of, thanks for the recommendation, mogul2us. My 3 is currently in the shop (I left her parked for seven months during my last deployment, and my parking lot neighbors at my apartment complex did a number on my doors) so I cannot get from point A to B, but I will definitely give them a call. Flying halfway down the east coast to get a car is certainly one hell of a positive referral :).

·
Registered
934 Posts
"By the same token, while we do not have one yet, the wife and I will probably have a child in the future, and loading it and its car seat in and out of a four door would be inordinately easier."

I would not want to use this car daily for hauling kids. It would not be very much fun!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Linoge said:
I left her parked for seven months during my last deployment :).
Based upon this comment, I assume you are in the military for which I salute you and wish to thank you for your service. Even if you do not end up with a Bullitt (and yes the cars are great but not the best option of everyone), please hang around this forum and feel free to add your insite. Most people (including myself) own a Bullitt and are a little "shortsighted" on some issues. Thanks again for your service and take care. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Linoge said:

Cost of Bullitt: about $28,000

Coast of tax, financing ,etc : easy to calculate

Cost of Japaneese trade in : get best deal

Enjoyment factor cost of owning a Bullitt : Priceless

Guy I know came down with a rare condition that prevents him from driving a stick shift car.

His only regret is not buying a Corvette he cherished when he had the chance.

Bes tadvice - flip a coin and don't look back

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
You only live once. Do you want not do something and regret it later? Don't buy the Bullitt. You'll regret that decison the rest of your life.

Just buy the car, if that's what your yearning for, Just Do It!:dhg01: :neutral:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts