Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's sometimes a hot button topic and maybe I shouldn't even add that my Bullitt is stock because we can all find joy in our Bullitts through mods and whatever makes you happy...
But after daily driving mine for 11 years and sometimes wanting more power I have found peace. Maybe it was letting her sit in the yard for six months then finally firing her back up again. Maybe it's looking back on all we've been through--crashing into someones rock strewn yard during the Atlanta ice apocalypse a few years ago--putting my oil filter on wrong and leaving a trail of oil until I smelled it burning and pulled over. The pride I felt when I first brought her home and popped the hood so my late father could have a look and then taking him for a ride. But now I do believe in the old saying--it's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
She's not a supercar-- and sometimes I want more power. Third gear sometimes feels weak--but I've found that if I keep her in the happy zone--over 3,000 rpm--driving at the limit is really satisfying and yes--fun. And after 11 years I know those limits so well they are pretty much in my bones--I know exactly what she is going to do in every situation.
So now I drive her hard--and I have fun. And I am happy.

·
Premium Member
14,122 Posts
Just don't go past the limit...:eek: Also, anything that'll turn around 14 in the quarter, pull over .7 on a skidpad isn't slow. Plenty fast enough for street/highway driving. Sure other are faster...but I've reached the state of "don't give a krap".
My '09 got me and my bride to our favorite pool hall and back home just fine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know it's sometimes a hot button topic and maybe I shouldn't even add that my Bullitt is stock because we can all find joy in our Bullitts through mods and whatever makes you happy...
But after daily driving mine for 11 years and sometimes wanting more power I have found peace. Maybe it was letting her sit in the yard for six months then finally firing her back up again. Maybe it's looking back on all we've been through--crashing into someones rock strewn yard during the Atlanta ice apocalypse a few years ago--putting my oil filter on wrong and leaving a trail of oil until I smelled it burning and pulled over. The pride I felt when I first brought her home and popped the hood so my late father could have a look and then taking him for a ride. But now I do believe in the old saying--it's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
She's not a supercar-- and sometimes I want more power. Third gear sometimes feels weak--but I've found that if I keep her in the happy zone--over 3,000 rpm--driving at the limit is really satisfying and yes--fun. And after 11 years I know those limits so well they are pretty much in my bones--I know exactly what she is going to do in every situation.
So now I drive her hard--and I have fun. And I am happy.
I feel you brother. While I have only owned mine for a short time, at 67, it is my first performance car. I try to drive it daily and it has FPP Racing mufflers and I just installed the FPP cams and for NO OTHER REASON , than to simply listen to the car !!!! I have only turned on the radio when my wife rides along.
Thanks , Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got back from a 3 week cross country trip in my bone stock '08. So much fun. 90 mph on cruise control through Kansas, enjoying the New England fall with it's beautiful twisty roads, and hitting the occasional parking lot to do figure eights! I bought the car to enjoy, and that's what I do. Maintenance is key to years of fun. And the car is plenty fast for what it is!!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Well said OP.

I bought mine late summer with just under 18K on it and I'm just about to turn 19K.....not gonna deny myself the enjoyment. I REALLY enjoy this car. Thought about rationing the miles a bit more but also need to get to know the car and enjoy it...so I just don't care if they add up a bit. On power?as said by others, there is always someone else with a faster car...I used to chase power ( this is my third Mustang, plus some decently quick Euro cars.) but there is something about this car that makes me want to be judicious regarding any modifications. I enjoy the simplicity of this car very much. I find this car to be a nice balance of what I'm looking for in a nice weather/weekend car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts