Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dumb question. Is the MAF screen the small round screen, with the rubber outer ring, just past the air filter? I took that screen out, put the air box arseembly back together, and noticed a gap in the conections between the air box and the duct leading to the intake. I put the screen back in because I didn't want any gaps after the filter letting dirt in. If this isn't the MAF, where is it? If it is, what's the best way to do this simple mod.

Bullitt #2759 Dark Highland Green
Mods: K&N, $7.00 Dryer Duct Ram Air
AMC AMX #7831 Hunter Green Metallic
Mods: None/stock

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Y2K16T8 on 2001-07-23 14:07 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Y2K16T8 on 2001-07-23 14:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's true. You really can't fix posts that have the word "arse" in them. I ment a$$, not arseembly.

Bullitt #2759 Dark Highland Green
Mods: K&N, $7.00 Dryer Duct Ram Air
AMC AMX #7831 Hunter Green Metallic
Mods: None/stock

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Y2K16T8 on 2001-07-23 14:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
thats the maf. what you have to do is cut the actual screen out of the rubber o-ring and replace the o-ring so there are no gaps.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I knew it had to be as simple as that.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks B.S. (after the White Zombie song, I a$$ume). Any ideas on my former posting with the stalling problem? Someone had metioned to me that it was running too rich, causing the stall. If I remove the MAF screen and put the duct back into the fog light hole, should I disconnect the battery, then run the car with the changes so it'll re-program itself with the mods?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The rubber ring will peel off, but be care full. Then put the ring in the gap.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
most definitly after the song :grin: glad to know someone figured out my name :smile: as far as the richness, not too sure on that. try the battery trick and see if that works for you. hey crime, i didnt take the time to figure it would just peele off.HUH i guess ill get me another one at work....thanks for that info

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Just some info. on the screen. From Paul's HighPerformance,and an engineer from Pro-M. They say keep the screen in the factory MAF unit,it was calibrated with it in there.My question was,other than a safety screen for catching any debris,what was it for? I don't think they,Ford,would add an extra part$$ for no reason. If it is an easy horsepower or two,with it out,you would think they would have removed it to gain some more power on the Bullitt for cheap!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Very well put mus408. I too would ere on the side of safety and caution.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the screen on the MAF, is to help make the flow across it more uniform, this helps the sensor to get a more accurate reading of the amount of air coming in.
A lot of times when people take out the screen they get idle and drivability problems, because the air isn't flowing uniformly through the sensor which makes the sensor read differently than it should for how much air is actually going through it.

If you want to pull it out, fine give it a shot, but if it gives you idle probs or other little quirks, just put it back in, hopefully you won't have to buy a new one :smile:

·
Registered
959 Posts
The function as an aiflow straightener/diffuser is the most likely function but it is also restrictive. A K&N will do the job as a flow straightener for you as well. Mine idles perfectly with no screen

·
Registered
14 Posts
I removed my MAF screen, so far no idling problems. The car definitely has improved throttle response, revs up much more quickly in 1st and 2nd gears. Also has a more gravely exhaust sound now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts