Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking all over the motor-heads forum. And you guys verified my theory that it was company politics that ripped the horsepower out of the Bullitt. They've said it in the press that "No car shall be hotter than the sacred SVO". I mean Vortex and Paxton are in heaven. Everyone wants the power. So BullittHeads our task is to find out how they detuned our baby. It just takes one of the Ford project engineers to come clean and tell us.

Bullet #02097
My dog Bullet tag# 02470 :smile:

·
Registered
509 Posts
It's all in the computer program! So far, on this site, it appears the average hp rating coming out of all the dyno's is around 276. I think that tells us that the original "slip" of the tongue back in February '01 was probably true. Yes, I have heard from several highly placed Ford sources that there was politics involved. SVO did not want lost sales to the Bullitt!

Try a SuperChip and you will notice the difference.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: schmedlap on 2001-11-20 05:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
269 Posts
This is very interesting to me. My hypothesis is that the prototype engines were putting out close to 300hp and the up-and-ups knew that it would step on SVT's toes so they *detuned* the cars to around 275hp. Then between the prototypes and initial production engines enough changed to cause +/- 10hp variations that we're seeing on our cars. Finally, there wasn't enough time left to retune and perform enough QA testing to insure that Ford met the previously stated 275bhp figure. My feeling is that they just left well enough alone and went into production so that they could meet the targeted production release date.

Now for the $20,000 question.......how do we undo the initial *detuning* to get back up to that 300hp figure. It should be all in the EEC programming! Any ideas?

Mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the answers. I ran across a computer geek/motor heads website where they have hacked into the programs in the ECM/ECC's. I look at it further. I know they had some crude tools. Have a good day.
:eek: ...and my Dogs name is spelled correctly.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Nice post by mystang. This is a very interesting issue indeed. As for getting the intake honed...about how much does that cost, and will I need to re-program the computer chip after the honing?

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
for maximum effect and performance, it's a good idea to get a chip tuned (or if you already installed one.....RE-tuned) after any mods that affect the engine.
thanks Karl, man...that post seems like it was years ago now!

2001 Bullitt DHG #648
Ford Racing Alum. Driveshaft
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, K & N Filter,
MGW LTD-All custom Satin Bullitt Bits & Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-11-21 10:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for the answers. I have found out that we are not alone. Ford engineering also messes with the SVO/SVT guys' engine chips. Look at this comment from V8sho.com

-------------------------------------------
Chip Controlled Break In

--------------------------------------

Hello fellow SHOsters,

I don't know if anyone has a SHO with less than 5,000 miles on it, but I learned something about the factory chip today. I hope this isn't old news to the list. Ford actually de-tunes the SHO's (and SVT's) for the first 5,000 miles so we don't blow them up. No wonder there isn't any break in periods today. Apparently if your driving one of these vehicles under a load (strain on the engine) just as the odometer clicks to this magic number, you'll feel a surge as the true SHO factory program 'kicks' in. I'd be interested in anyone's experience with this. I thought it was kind of interesting.

Bill Moore AKA BigDog

1 - 9 of 9 Posts