Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Being from New Jersey I think it is great that it has a Jersey tag....

Reactions: Cochese

·
Premium Member
13,779 Posts
That Hagerty article was extremely well written.

Actually, I feel sorry for the owner. I know what it feels like to have a car wanted by the wrong people for the wrong reason. Not that any of the pressures I was subjected to were anything close to what this poor bastard is now going through. For me, it became such a pain in the *** I couldn't wait to shed myself of the car and go on with life. The value had nothing to do with it...

This is why I caution those who think the modern Bullitts are future collectable cars to be careful what you wish for.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are always two sides to the story. Sean's dad was not the ogre that the car press made him out to be. Also the car was in pieces by 2001 so it would have been difficult to bring it out before then. Judging by the last paragraph in the Haggerty article it will likely be sold at some point. Unless it is picked up by a museum it will fall back behind the curtain....

·
Premium Member
13,779 Posts
There are always two sides to the story. Sean's dad was not the ogre that the car press made him out to be. Also the car was in pieces by 2001 so it would have been difficult to bring it out before then. Judging by the last paragraph in the Haggerty article it will likely be sold at some point. Unless it is picked up by a museum it will fall back behind the curtain....
Trust me, the collector car world is full of flippers, pimps, and thieves. The sharks are gathering. For this guy's sake, I hope the Ford museum made an offer he couldn't refuse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It says the wood steering wheel was stolen in transit but in the movie you can clearly see it is the black Shelby steering wheel that is in the car Steve is driving
Unless this one is a replacement Shelby wheel now but it never was a wood wheel during filming makes you wonder if there are other inaccurate parts to the story.

·
Premium Member
18,418 Posts
It says the wood steering wheel was stolen in transit but in the movie you can clearly see it is the black Shelby steering wheel that is in the car Steve is driving
Unless this one is a replacement Shelby wheel now but it never was a wood wheel during filming makes you wonder if there are other inaccurate parts to the story.
Sean mentions that in his interview with someone, that it is a replacement steering wheel. Unmentioned is that his grandfather backed a tractor into it while stored in the barn. There is a picture somewhere here and it shows the car without the front bumper and pan. Those were replaced recently, hence the bumper is very shiny and the rear bumper is rusty. Also, I notice the back panel isn't black, but the car was repainted by the Warner Brothers shop prior to sale by them years ago. I guess that makes the exact color of that piece a moot and unsupportable point. Also, the movie car in the movie has the tail lite bezels painted. They are once again, chrome. Could it be they were sprayed with that film industry water color? It's a matte finish and washes away with some scrubbing...0:)

·
Premium Member
13,786 Posts
If the Mustang is sold to whoever, what will they do with it? Not in terms of display and shows and such, but maintenance. Leaving the car as is without a doubt is awesome. The patina and history of all its years of use is such a unique story. Plus I think the person might not be afraid to bring it out more often. However, restoring back to movie spec would be equally fantastic but might bring out a fear of damage and cause them to keep tucked away for years at a time again. A conundrum for the ages.

·
Premium Member
18,418 Posts
My concern about the possible sale the Hero car is where it will wind up.
The Corvette Museum ? Not likely, but a scary thought none the less.....
Saudi Arabia, Asia??? Far away from the American public.......ARGH!

I am praying that the Henry Ford Museum can make some sort of arrangement to keep it there in Detroit, or if not them at least available in an L.A. faciilty open to the viewing public.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Agree

My concern about the possible sale the Hero car is where it will wind up.
The Corvette Museum ? Not likely, but a scary thought none the less.....
Saudi Arabia, Asia??? Far away from the American public.......ARGH! I am praying that the Henry Ford Museum can make some sort of arrangement to keep it there in Detroit, or if not them at least available in an L.A. faciilty open to the viewing public.
The Henry Ford Museum would be a fitting place for it. If it must belong to an individual then someone like Jay Leno would be my pick. A true enthusiast, who met McQueen, who drives all his vehicles, and who would do the car justice. The idea of it going to offshore, especially to a place with no cultural affinity to the USA (like the Middle East or Asia) is just awful. Maybe even Canada or Australia etc, but China? YUK! However the current owner seems pretty decent and right into the car so hopefully he won't just sell out, possibly even making a condition of sale where the owner resides etc.

It was great to see those detailed photos. Puts to rest some of the myths.
One thing I had never noticed, despite many screenshots etc (and great because I haven't yet painted my 68 S code "Bullitt" so I can drill the holes without fear!), was that the little C shaped chromed rear quarter panel ornaments ARE fitted to the movie cars. After seeing those photos I went back and checked the movie and yup, there they are! Hard to see but they are.

Likewise confirms the cars had GT rear valances (we know one got replaced near the end of the chase scene due to damage). Why wouldn't they have? I always said. We have the VIN's and so KNEW they were factory GT's!... Also interesting to see the speaker grilles in the doors, as some claimed they didn't have those either. The engine bay also shows good details, like the low mounted alternator for the Thermactor set up, etc. I'm guessing the rocker trims are replacements as there is no HG paint. Shame the Yankee Metal Products mirror has been replaced by standard FoMoCo square one. (don't think we'll ever figure out if both cars had that as its missing from some scenes). But as we now know, this car was a daily driver for a while.

All in all this is a great thing. Can't wait to see the little movie about it.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car was reconditioned by a local body shop prior to being sold. It included replacing the bright trim work, grill, driver's side mirror and antenna. Sean stated that there has been some serious bondo work done to the car. This may be some of the work done at the shop.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
The car was reconditioned by a local body shop prior to being sold. It included replacing the bright trim work, grill, driver's side mirror and antenna. Sean stated that there has been some serious bondo work done to the car. This may be some of the work done at the shop.
Well that explains the rocker panel trims being shiny polished metal. I'll have to look into the rear quarter panel C curve ornaments a bit further, to see if they were painted over in the movie. You can see them alright, particularly at the start just before he drives off under the overpass. But not sure if they are unpainted or not. Glorious Technicolor not being todays HD!

Not sure where the Bondo went! Still plenty of movie spec dents in the old girl. Perhaps there was rust in the rockers from that wonderful NJ winter weather? Again that would tie into why the rocker trims were replaced.

Personally I'd love to see an in depth expose on the technical details. Like exactly what changes were made and some more photos (like some of the underside). Now perhaps we can see if the subframes had connectors, were headers fitted etc. The motor looks like its had some paint at some stage, so who knows if that's all per the movie. The overall patina suggests it hasn't been changed too much. That "buyers remorse"magazine article when the detective owned it showed it with the OEM type square side mirror, so I guessed the little "Yankee Metal Products" one is long gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A copy of the repair invoice from when Warner Brothers repaired the vehicle can be found under Brad Bowling's website with other documentation. Great read if you have not already.

Bullitt Mustang #559 Revealed to Public ? BradBowling.com

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
[
Well that explains the rocker panel trims being shiny polished metal. I'll have to look into the rear quarter panel C curve ornaments a bit further, to see if they were painted over in the movie. You can see them alright, particularly at the start just before he drives off under the overpass. But not sure if they are unpainted or not. Glorious Technicolor not being todays HD!

Not sure where the Bondo went! Still plenty of movie spec dents in the old girl. Perhaps there was rust in the rockers from that wonderful NJ winter weather? Again that would tie into why the rocker trims were replaced.

Personally I'd love to see an in depth expose on the technical details. Like exactly what changes were made and some more photos (like some of the underside). Now perhaps we can see if the subframes had connectors, were headers fitted etc. The motor looks like its had some paint at some stage, so who knows if that's all per the movie. The overall patina suggests it hasn't been changed too much. That "buyers remorse"magazine article when the detective owned it showed it with the OEM type square side mirror, so I guessed the little "Yankee Metal Products" one is long gone.
Underside of the car while in the barn. Shows the glass pack mufflers and the camera mounts which are still on the car. It looked like at least some of the exhaust had been replaced when the car was shown in Detroit.

Extra clamps on leaf springs.

Bondo quote. "Sean points out a chip on the edge of the passenger’s-side rear fender, which reveals a thick layer of filler. “This entire side is Bondo,” he says. “There must be 40 gallons of it in the door alone. It oozes out of the inside. Whoever put it on was a real sculptor, because it matches the lines of the car perfectly.” The door was smashed in during the closing stages of the chase scene, and the filler is the result of the shortcut repair."

This pretty clearly shows the taillight bezels painted

1 - 20 of 24 Posts