Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard so many stories about this car that I could write a book about it. He sold the car when I was 5 and I barely remember it but I would give my left lug-nut for it today.

It was a 1967 Mustang GT 500. Under the hood was the 428 Cobra Lemans with 2, count them, 2 Holley carbs. Everything was original and he never did any mods except maybe fat tires.

I have researched and read a lot about this car and it was one mean machine. The 428 Cobra Lemans was created for Lemans of course, where engines had to do crazy things like maintain high rpms for 24 hours almost non stop.

His was moss green as far as I can tell and had all the extras that Ford offered including 4 speed tranny and positive traction rear end.

I have no idea of the actual horse power but from all the tales it was way more than what you would ever be able to control if you unleashed all of it. Whether you were burning out or cruising down the interstate it had awesome power. He actually got a ticket once for spinning the tires while shifting from 2 to 3.

I think my Bullitt # 2325 might have been able to take the 67 stang on the curvies but there is no way in hell I could hang at the dragstrip or on the open road.

Ah, the days of true muscle cars, open roads and few cops. I was born 30 years too late.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Now, that's the kind of "old man" I could only dream about!

My dad certainly does not understand his "little girl's" obsession with Mustangs.
He can't even remember what kind of car it is!
Jeez. No automotive role models in my life!

Your dad's car sounds totally awesome...it's always the good one's that get away, huh?!?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Underrated is right. When you can smoke tires from a 55mph start in 3rd gear in a car made of american steel, you have more than 335 HP's. It was the kind of power that you had to be very careful with or you'd end up in a corn field. Not anybody could drive this type of car, which is probably why they underrated the HP to keep the insurance down. I don't know any stats on the HP but I'm guessing more like 4 and a half.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was stationed in Germany from 1984 to 1986. Many of you will recall that Ford really brought the power back to the Mustang in 1985 with the GT. I think that motor was rated at 215 HP. I was jealous because my older sister wrote me with pictures of the one she had just bought for $9,000. Some guy bought it without checking the insurance and brought it back the next day. Had less than 100 miles on it, but it was "used". Hers was a Black 5-Speed. 4 BBL motor with tubular headers and as I recall, finned valve cover from the factory. The car was bone-stock, but even with a posi rear end could smoke the tires THROUGH 3rd gear. I owned a '90 GT and now a Bullitt and I don't know if the Bullitt is any faster to 60 than that '85 was. That was a bad a** car. Unfortunately, she was dating a jerk that convinced her to trade it for a '86 convertible with the throttle body injection, that car was a POS. I was just out of the Army and heading back to college and could'nt afford to buy it from her.

I think those '85 motors were underrated big time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crs2879 on 2001-12-19 17:39 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts