Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I prefer amoco also. When we first bought our boat we were putting cheap gas from a casey's in it (it was near our boat shed). We got a lot of smoke from the engine, left black scum on the rear of the white boat, especially under the swim platform. We switched to amoco and no more problems. I was just amazed, so that's what I use now. I did end up putting 90 octane in bullitt for the first time last night, only because it was cheaper. Normally I use 87 since that is what is recommended (and cheaper).

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I gave up on that 87 oct stuff...my car ran like garbage on it from Mobil and Texico. I put super back in and the ping and slugishness was gone.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'll only use Shell 87 octane. The engine always feels slugish when I use Amoco and the mileage on both Mobil and Amoco is significantly less.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
It's funny how different people prefer different brands than others. We have been using Texaco 87 in all our vehicles and have no problems with pinging or sluggishness.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use either Sunoco Ultra 94 or Amoco Ultimate in mine, these 2 seem to work well, no pinging. I installed the Steeda Timing Adjuster, so I have to run the higher octane. Unless I ues one of these 2 fuels, i get pinging around 4000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Same here Texaco 87. However I heard a great suggestion the other day. Let the spouse that does not drive, put in different octane rating gas with out the driver knowing which and do that for a couple of tanks and see if you can tell a difference. IF not then go with the cheaper...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feed back....I'm going to test some of the other brands mentioned for comparison.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Out here in California I use either Chevron or Union 76, and I've always pumped premium which is about 91-92 octane. I can't tell the difference between the two, and to tell you the truth, the only reason I stick with them is due to the fact I have a gas card for both and the bills go to my wife to pay.....Pretty good deal, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I only fill up at one station. It's a very small Sunoco station run by a real respectable guy. His station handles the repairs and fuel for a couple small Police Departments in the area. He takes a lot of pride in his station. I use 87, all the time, with no problems ever.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Hey,with all these oil company mergers going on,AMACO,is now BP,soon we will all be using one brand of gas! I am using 93 octane,because of the chip.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I work for an oil company, and I have to let you guys in on a secret. The gasoline supplies for your station can come from any companies refinery. Sometimes, for example, Arco will buy gasoline from Chevron to put in their terminal. Arco doesn't use any additives/cleaning agents, so this gasoline (which is probably put in a tank w/ gasoline from almost every refiner in the area) goes straight to the station, while Chevron would have added Techron to help clean your engine. The Chevron gas could just have easily come from a tank that had Arco gas in it as well. By the way, gasoline travels to the terminals, where it's loaded in trucks, through 3rd party pipeline (a non-oil company owns it) and it is comingled (everyones gasoline goes into the same pipeline and is mixed together) so gasoline is gasoline. One companies 87 is the same as the next, except for additives. My theory on why different people need different octane (other than one 4.6 is not exactly the same as the next) is geographic. CA gas is different than TX gas due to smog restrictions. WA gas is different than AZ gas due to RVP (reid vapor pressure has to do w/ the temperature at which gas turns into a vapor).

Just a little info, sorry it's so long.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
That is correct. However when the manager of the station has been stealing from the deposits and needs to put some type of liquid back into the ground you could be getting chocolate milk or just about anything. Gas is Gas untill it gets to like one stop away from the pump and then they add what ever it is or is not that they add to call it their own. That is why I only buy gas from two stations around home and work, untill I get a bad tank then I think about moving on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, gas station owners (not managers) have been known to use gasoline w/o the additives of the company who's flag they wave, or worse yet, to put 87 in their 92 tank.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sounds like a racket just like about everythingh else!!

California is the worst in this! Just look at MTBE. My understanding is that this stuff is a byproduct of the refining process, they add back into our gas and charge us more for it! Yoo-Hoo! It was supposed to clean the air, in the end it just polluted the water!

I think all CA gas comes from a total of three refineries. We can't bring gas in from out of state because of our stricter emmisions standards. I'm not sure it matters where you get your gas, but I do know you don't ever want to fill up if they are refilling the tanks. It stirs all of the sediment up and can clog your filter very quickly.

Eric

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am being honest when I say that refiners don't make anywhere near enough MTBE to put in their gasoline. They have to import the stuff from around the world to get enough to make CA gasoline. If you want to look at the racket, look at the politicians. They mandated the use of MTBE, and then blame the refiners for using it. Also, I'm sure they got plenty of money from the corn farmers to have ethanol put back in the gas. Also, I know you've heard it before, but gas is cheap compared to the rest of the world, and what we've paid in the past. Remember, when refiners are doing well, they make about 7 - 10 cpg. In the meantime the goverment adds about 60 cpg in tax. Who's doing the ripping off?

Anyway, this isn't about gas it's about cars. My point is that weather (temp/humidity), elevation, state of the individual car, as well as differences in government mandated specifications of gasoline are what cause the performance differences we are seeing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
rsom,

I originally had additional rants about politicians in my post, but removed them. I agree with most of what you said. We do have it better than most of the rest of the world. It is the politicos who really hosed us. I feel sorry for the gas station owners who only make about $.01-$.02 per gallon.

Thanks of the info,

Eric

·
Registered
280 Posts
The gasoline taxes remind me of the costs of buying a new vehicle. Do you think your local Ford dealership is making a ton of money selling you a new vehicle? Consider this:

Ford can build a new Expedition 4x4 for about $20K. Then they sell it to the dealerships for $35K, making an easy $15K per Expedition. MSRP is roughly $5K more at $40K, but the going markup rate is less than $1K. If we can sell the rig when it first arrives from Ford, we also get the financing Holdback of 3% which is about $1K, but we lose 1% per month to pay to floor the vehicle at the lot. It's safe to say the dealership is lucky to make $1K on an Expedition while Ford gets to make $15K. At least customers can negotiate with the dealer. The dealers can't negotiate with Ford. That $2K rebate Ford is currently offering means they'll "only" make $13K on a new Expedition.

Just like the gov't imposing huge gax taxes while the refineries and gas station owner make mere pennies on the dollar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts