Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this summer i'm getting roughly $10k which i intend to use on the Bullitt..../I know im excited too. Well i was thinking that i want a daily driver that can really haul ass and i've got practically all the supporting mods so here's the plan: Forged or Billet Stroker Kit from cushmanmotorsports or possibly just a forged shortblock from modularpowerhouse...stage 2 blower cams and ported heads and a DSS main support girdle (for a lil extra strength)....and then a mongoose kit with a Vortech T trim and an air-air intercooler. Twin Ford GT pumps would be pumping the juice btw. If i get the stroker kit it looks like my Bullitt will be a 5.0 but i haven't figured out how many cubic inches i want. The car will remain a regular driver that will be driven 5 days a week. I'm thinking with this setup i can run in the low 11's or high ten's possibly and do it fairly safely. What you guys think? I'm thinkin i an show ls1 ******** and cobra worshipers that the 2V can be something to fear. :badgrin: The money should be coming but there isn't a 100% guarantee but i'd say 95% chance that i get the money and all this stuff gets purchased. Oh i'll have to buy some of those Breed valve covers to go along with all this huh?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well,.........

I will give you my opinion........

I think you have a rather large shopping list for only a 10,000.00 budget!
You will be surprised that by the time you buy everything, it will cost almost as much again to have it all installed (including additional items that are required for each of the Mods you have on your list).

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Doesn't sound like a DD to me! :lol:

I have a rule of thumb. If it costs a dollar for something, and you want some else to do the laborof the install. You can multiply the part's original cost by 2.5. That is what your labor will be. Then add it to the parts cost and then add in the taxes...for the governor of course.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
yea i agree with the previous...in fact as i was reading your post i was thinking to myself that i hoped you were doing all this work yourself because if you weren't you're not going to get all that...for the 10k you should be able to get the motor/heads and fuel tank/pumps plus the tune...but not much more than that...you can count on another 5k to do the blower and install...then you're gonna need suspension/traction/drivetrain upgrades to hit those numbers so yea for twice what you're talking about you might get into the low 11's...i've got over 15k in mine in just engine and blower and i haven't even touched the suspension/drivetrain/traction issues yet...and no that's not including THIS motor rebuild that i'm in the middle of for not doing it right the first time...that's another 2k right there...it adds up alot quicker than you think...good luck with it all

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I agree with everyone else. If it were me, I'd get a DD with some of that money and drop the rest in the Bullitt. Then, with the money you'll save in gas from the new DD, save up more money to go into the B.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Or find one that has already been built by someone else.

They don't come around every day, but the DO come around and most are not all that much more expensive than a "stock" Bull.

In the past year, I can think of 2 VERY nice cars with some serious mods that were bought very well - BC's Flamed KB Blown Bullitt and MRaburn's #005.

Both went to members of this site who are enjoying the heck out of them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guy sobviously don't know my currne tmods my tranny, suspension and rear end are all completely built right now.....i also have ton of stuff yet to be installed i already own the twin GT pumps and as far as installs a goo dmechanic friend of mine said he'd do it all for free since my attoren yfather represented him in court recently for free and got him off. All i'm paying for is the s/c and the stroker kitalong with heads and cams maybe later down the road if i cant afford em right away. As far as buying another car no fin way that's gonna happen i have too many memories and too much money invested in my baby as it is now. Plus i just paid the thing off. $10k isn't gonna be my last paycheck either. Now as far as streetability i don't see why it wouldn't be i'm pretty much copying except mine will be better than muscle mustangs and fast fords project car project ice box. It had forged internal a t trim and minor suspension work with heads and cams and ran high tens and has been a dd for over like two years now. So what i think the rest of my car is perfectly setup for this kinda of mod. My performance shop has assured me that i have everything the car could possibly need to handle thi skinda power. I have bullet proff tranny and rear end, a fuel system sitting in my shed waiting to go in full exhaust a complete suspension swap from all the stock components and drag tires mounte don 15" prostars i have all the supporting ,mods so what else could i possibly require?

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
a beater to drive daily and the driver mod to get those timeslips your looking for, haha j/k on the second one

btw, i'd go KB over the T-trim, IMO.....goodluck!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why do you say KB over t trim? I'm just copying Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords project car and they used a t trim so i was going to also the KB is really expensive but if you can convince me then i will get the KB. Won't the KB not fit under my hood?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Absinth said:
Why do you say KB over t trim? I'm just copying Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords project car and they used a t trim so i was going to also the KB is really expensive but if you can convince me then i will get the KB. Won't the KB not fit under my hood?
There is a lot of discussion on here about the merits of KB vs Vortech superchargers. Both do a great job of boosting power, but they do have their differences. My car has the Vortech, and I love it but if I were starting from scratch I would choose the KB. The KB twin screw design provides quicker boost (at a lower rpm) than the vortech, or any centrifugal. It also has the signiture KB whine that is just cool, nasty is more like it. It will fit under your hood, there are several members here who have the KB setup. Do lots of research since ultimately you are the one who needs to be happy with the car, not us. You cant go wrong either way with the supercharger, either one will set you back in the seat and with the foundation you are talking about you wont be limited to 10 psi like most of us with stock bottom ends. Be careful about the tune, that's where people get into trouble. Your bomb proof short block could quickly become a pile of moulton lava if the tune isnt right......Good luck-looking forward to follwing progress....John R

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Why not a novi 2000 or a turbo? With that motor a novi would make about 800 easy given that the motor was set up correctly and you had a reichard intake. Then if you plan to make that kind of power you might want to factor in AN fittings, new radiator for cooling, clutch, boxing all of your control arm points and then tuning. As long as this is in stages seems to be a good plan. I would go to a full port on the heads with bowl, larger valves, and a multiple angle port on the valves seeing as you are going with FI you should not need your swirl dams. A stepped header would have been good if you are going with some serious power adder. Will you be adding a cooling shot nitrous to your charger or running snow kit for more power? I don't know if you have a K member to offset some the added weight you plan on putting in the car. Just my 2 cents in what I have seen from the shops I help from time to time.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Absinth said:
Why do you say KB over t trim? also the KB is really expensive but if you can convince me then i will get the KB. Won't the KB not fit under my hood?
If you go with a Bullitt specific Vortech system and add the cooler and all the extras included with the KB, the price difference issue goes away, but as noted above, the boost lag issues remain. KB fits And looks OEM. Bottom line is do what floats your boat. Tons of guys swear by either system.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Like John said, either supercharger will do the job and get you some great numbers, and they each have their advantages and disadvantages...a friend of mine has a fully built GT with a T-trim and should be close to 800rwhp this summer....

but anyway, when I finally dig into my motor I will be trading in the Vortech for a KB....its really what you want cause its your car, but I will stick by my previous statments, get a beater!! lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The KB kit says it's a 650HP Kit does that mean it can only support 650 before it blows or does that mean something else? Modular powerhouse said it was a 650HP rated charger on the 2.1L which is what i would get since the others won't fit under stock hoods so please help me out cuz i don't know exactly what kinda power this thing is gonna make....maybe 600 maybe 750 i don't really know. So can someone clue me in as to exactly what that 650hp rating means? Is there any other parts i should look into getting to ensure that this setup is bullet proof i don't wanna have it one month and have it explode for no reason.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think you're pretty much trying to build a car like mine, your mods are similar. I had my rear end done, and most of the bolt-ons done, and had a complete aeromotive A1000 fuel system and Ricks Hot Rod custom tank sitting at the house. And 10K still didn't do it. You're getting the labor free, which is nice... but beware, you may get what you paid for, especially if you have any problems with your setup. And there will definitely be some small problems (at best).

My favorite thing about my car is: its NOT my daily driver! If it was, I'd probably hate it! The power kicks a$$, I get a rush every time I drive it and mash the pedal to the floor. But its no DD.

If you want a true DD, I'd forget the big cams, aluminun flywheel (if you were planing one), and keep the stock throttle body (mine has the accufab single blade and its tricky to modulate). Also, the clutch you will need to handle the power will either be very expensive (SPEC or Mcleod twin disc) or grabby with a tiny sweet spot for daily driving. How do I know? My DFX clutch, which is a great clutch for this power level, combined with the aluminun flywheel (which requires more revs to get the car rolling for a street start) and the big single blade throttle body make it more than just a little tricky to be smooth on the street. Throw in big cams that lope like crazy (and sound mean as hell :bigguns: ) and sometimes want to die when you pull up to a stop light because they starve for air if the idle drops a hair too low... and its not something you want to live with on a daily basis.

The best mod you could add to this project: a cheap-o daily driver. Get a beater with half of your 10K put the rest to the first round of mods, and wait for one more check to come in and finish it up right.

I waited 2 years with my car sitting dead in the garage because I wanted to plan every last detail of the build up and do it right. Do the same, and you will be happier in the end. I know its painfull to wait, but being able to drive the car when you want, and also able to NOT drive the car when you want is the way to go.

Just my .02.

Also, like you, I spent a lot of time studying Ice Box in MM&FF... I'm making more power than those guys with the Vortec V2-SQ. And I plan on skipping the T-trim and going for the JT.

Also, if you ever get down to Houston and want to check out what your car might be like, I'd be happy to take you for a spin... though that may just make you want to build it right away even more ;)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
stang4.6 said:
I think you're pretty much trying to build a car like mine, your mods are similar. I had my rear end done, and most of the bolt-ons done, and had a complete aeromotive A1000 fuel system and Ricks Hot Rod custom tank sitting at the house. And 10K still didn't do it. You're getting the labor free, which is nice... but beware, you may get what you paid for, especially if you have any problems with your setup. And there will definitely be some small problems (at best).

My favorite thing about my car is: its NOT my daily driver! If it was, I'd probably hate it! The power kicks a$$, I get a rush every time I drive it and mash the pedal to the floor. But its no DD.

If you want a true DD, I'd forget the big cams, aluminun flywheel (if you were planing one), and keep the stock throttle body (mine has the accufab single blade and its tricky to modulate). Also, the clutch you will need to handle the power will either be very expensive (SPEC or Mcleod twin disc) or grabby with a tiny sweet spot for daily driving. How do I know? My DFX clutch, which is a great clutch for this power level, combined with the aluminun flywheel (which requires more revs to get the car rolling for a street start) and the big single blade throttle body make it more than just a little tricky to be smooth on the street. Throw in big cams that lope like crazy (and sound mean as hell :bigguns: ) and sometimes want to die when you pull up to a stop light because they starve for air if the idle drops a hair too low... and its not something you want to live with on a daily basis.

The best mod you could add to this project: a cheap-o daily driver. Get a beater with half of your 10K put the rest to the first round of mods, and wait for one more check to come in and finish it up right.

I waited 2 years with my car sitting dead in the garage because I wanted to plan every last detail of the build up and do it right. Do the same, and you will be happier in the end. I know its painfull to wait, but being able to drive the car when you want, and also able to NOT drive the car when you want is the way to go.

Just my .02.

Also, like you, I spent a lot of time studying Ice Box in MM&FF... I'm making more power than those guys with the Vortec V2-SQ. And I plan on skipping the T-trim and going for the JT.

Also, if you ever get down to Houston and want to check out what your car might be like, I'd be happy to take you for a spin... though that may just make you want to build it right away even more ;)
Very true and great advice. I made 580 with a V2 and just upgraded to a T trim.
Im hoping for low to mid 600RWHP.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hey twin, I can't wait to see youir numbers with the T-trim! It should be a nice little boost ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I already have a built tranny and i went with a spec stage 3 clutch and steel billet flywheel both already installed...as far as the tb i wasn't gonna play with it. I live in San Marcos Austin area and go to Houston a lot so maybe sometime soon....? I can't decide between KB, Novi 2000, or T trim.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorrty ebay Bullitt looks a little sketchy and doesn't go into any detail on mods....plus with the amount of body work and supporting mods i've already done ithink i'll stick to my expensive lil toy. I'm abotut o start working on a crab boat off of ALaska in the summer and hopefully that will yield quite a large profit for me. I don't got money to burn remember i'm young and still in college...but i've never been one to allow my age or any other thing to hold me back form what i want or what i want to do...i guess i'm just ultra motivated and driven like that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts