Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mopar buddy ask me to install his new 3.91 Richmond Gear gears in his 8 3/4 rear end. Yeah bring it over as he wants to see how it's done. Well,after seeing that the Center Distance install spec. is .050 different than the original gear,we thought we may have a prob. Yep,sure enough,even without any pinion preload shims at all,should be dead tight,we had 1/16 of slop in the bearings.....Now what? I had to chuck up the new gear in the lathe and machine back the step .100 of an inch ,just to get some kind of shim pack to work! This whole put it together,take it apart,machine it again deal took us 10 hrs. of steady work! Just to get a good pinion bearing setup. So much for Summit Auto and those quality Richmond gears. I used every machine tool and press in my shop.....this is supposed to be a BOLT IN! Yes maybe we should have sent them back,but he needs the car for next weekends Mopar show and go event,and you don't know how out of spec the new set would be. Oh well tomorrow we take a break and go to the Super Chevy Show....Will tackel part 2 of the Ring and Pinion from Hell on Monday!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-10-06 20:29 ]</font>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts