Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we may need a bit of a reality check here. I've been reading all of the posts, emails and replys regarding this subject with much interest. As I was reading these, it occured to me that this is a public forum and Art himself may have read some or all of the same posts on the subject. As a public forum, people discussing mass email campaigns (squeaky wheel gets the grease)and the like in public render the effectiveness of such a campaign useless if the "target" knows whats coming. It is clear from the email dialog that the problem has been analyzed by Team Mustang and a solution path has been chosen, I see no signs of deviation in that approach. If anything, we are probably just irritating the crap out of Art.

So, as much as I would have prefered a metal plate for the Bullitt serial number and think it is the "owner" preferred solution, I believe it is a futile effort to expect one from Ford. I'm not trying to defend Art or Ford, but I for one am glad that they are listening, acting and not ignoring our situation. I'm sure many may disagree, but that's my take on the situation....

Can't wait to see the flames this generates...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I was actually thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree completely. Presentation is the key to persuasion. Politeness helps too.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Good thinking Rarecat. That is sort of what I suggested when I first posted the reply from Mr. Hyde. In all fairness we bought our cars for more than just an ID sticker. The fact that a solution was thought out and initiated by Ford speaks volumes. In any case as Bullittclub members we could come up with our own "metal ID plate" if that is what owners do in fact want. Besides having it would neither add or take away from the authenticity of our cars. There are numerous Saleen and early model clones out there that have been replicated to such an extent that only the careful discerning judge or buyer could tell the difference between real and fake. More than anything I suggest we current owners save all purchase documents to have as a show of proof should the day come that a sale is made. That more than any ID plate sticker or metal should prove to be invaluable to a potential buyer or MCA judge. My two pennies, the end.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It's probably true about Art Hyde or any other members of Team Mustang spending time here. A metal plate would've been nice, but I too didn't buy the car for the sticker. At least there is a fix coming, we should be grateful for that. By sending so many of these emails to Mr. Hyde we are if anything getting him upset. There are a few things that I am upset over with my car (i.e. paint quality) but nothings perfect. Let's try to get Art the rest of team mustang to build the upcoming models that will compete, with what's left for competition. I'd like to see near 'Vette performance at today's prices.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
The fact that Art even responds to these emails is incredible to me. This shows that he CARES about the car, and the owners enough to take the time to respond.

Personally, he has generated a lot of respect in my book by the way he has handled himself in this regard. I would not want to be involved in something that could potentially lose him as an ally, and force him to stop responding (or listening).

Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullittoid on 2001-08-24 14:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think this sounds as sane as anything I've heard yet. I love my car as much as anyone, but it's almost laughable what we expect for the money we paid. Yes we paid more than a regular GT, but we got a lot more as well. We did not pay "Viper money" and as such we should keep this in perspective. Every time that sticker bugs you, think about how much you love to drive this thing. We all know what we have.

Art, if you are out there, keep trying to make Mustang better, and keep trying to give us an original. Thanks...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Right on. Consider any post as "viewable by anyone".

My thinking has been that dweling on the sticker has demonstrated how any solution from Ford may be received.

We might want to re-think this. I'd suggest "going to the well" very carefully. We need Ford as our ally.

Art has expressed concern, and that's great news in my book. I'd like to see a way of organizing known problems, and positive attributes to the Bullitt. Give someting to Ford they can work with and help them develop better products. We have a unique situation here in that this is a collection of folks who BOUGHT their idea of a special edition Mustang.

Highlights:
1) Great job on the intake and the quality of the sound of this car. There is no other stock Mustang like it.

2) Great job on the interior. The Unique seats will always set a Bullitt from other 'stangs. (I know there are "gaps" but what they did for the $$$ is worth recognition)

3) Great job on the Price/Performance point.
There is NO CAR on the market that competes with the Bullitt even at $5K over the price.

4) Great job on the Paint (color) DHG,BLK, and TB were execellent choices for this special car. I was a bit nervous on the DHG, not actually seeing it on a Mustang (seeing on a truck is something different) but I glad I made the choice given that I connect the car more to the movie.

Lowlights:
(let's qualify the issues & cosmetic issues vs mechanical)
1) Let's understand the "official proceedure" for the highlights and not re-invent one for every owner. (Cosmetic)

2) Let's itemize the tranny clunk.
a) I get an unusally clunk under light loads when releasing the clutch when shifting into 2nd. 1->2, 3->2, 4->2. When down shifting, the car has slowed to 20 mph and easily shifts into 2nd without synchro whinning, but I get what feels like excessive gear backlash or something like a worn U-joint sensation. (No Racing on this tranny).

3) The reflection of the odometer in the windshield bothers me, and I will live with it. Ford might want to think about this on future models. (cosmetic)

I encourage others to present clear issues and satisfaction points. Perhaps the BB founders can find a way to make this effective within the website. Something for "official" Ford responses and requests.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is free to contact Ford or Art, but together we come accross better.

I'm just filling out my survey from Ford, I suggest others be honest here as well. Be sure to have positive things.

In short, I'm getting much more satisfaction from my Bullitt than I'd thought I'd get. (and I had great expectations) I'm proud to have a Bullitt, and be part of this community

(was that the Star Spangled Banner playing?)

Sorry if this sounded too formal and patriotic

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
you raise some very good and valid points Axeman, i was thinking about how to get results while still keeping Art (and Team Mustang)as an ally also!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I sent one email to Art and received one reply. That’s more than I expected and I respect the man for taking the time to respond. I don’t agree with Ford’s solution but I also don’t believe in beating him up with email after email. They got our owner feedback and undoubtedly will improve the serialization on any future specialty cars.

My two cents

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hblattel on 2001-08-24 11:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
193 Posts
You guys crack me up!
We are talking about a guy who gets his paycheck and keeps his job based on one thing and one thing only.... How happy we (his customers) are and our willingness to spend money on his cars. Quit acting like he is doing us a big favor by reading our emails and coming up with a half assed solution to the stupid sticker idea. He is the one who blew this in the first place by approving and implementing the sticker idea (to save money no doubt) so we should bug the crap out of him for a valid solution. If we don't like the solution (and I for one do not), we should keep bugging him. Don't be scared that he is going to stop listening to us if we become too much trouble. If I was his boss and he tried to get away with that, he would be working for daewoo the next day.
Basically what I am trying to say is we need to remember who is the customer and who is spending the money! That's right, US! I am cutting a pretty chunky check to Ford Motor Credit every month, so I don't worry one bit about Mr Hyde's feelings or irritation level.
I am overall pretty happy with my Bullitt. I used to be giddy with glee over it and the only little issue I had was the stupid sticker. Then my transmission started klunking and I feel like I am getting some kind of silent treatment over it. The next visit to the service department will tell...........

As for Art, He works for us and he gets paid pretty damned good to put up with us 'little people' who just happened to drop half a years salary on a new car.

The CatSmasher

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CatSmasher on 2001-08-24 11:22 ]</font>

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
behind the sounds of the star spanged banner you can also hear the sounds of rail cars coming into the station....
I love my bullitt,and I am glad FORD and Art had the balls to make it happen.
I understand and have personally been very supportive, understanding etc of Art and FORD
Maybe its just me getting old, but i feel that still doesn't absolve ford from the issues we are all facing...they have a responsability to make what is wrong, right no matter how big, no matter how small ... clunking, thunking , rattling, flashing ,and whatever else we are, or will be facing. I do not feel indebteded to them in any way.. I paid My money and I want what is right no more and no less and I for one ..
REFUSE to go Quietly into the night...

I certainly am only expressing my feelings and opinion, and while I may disagree with some, I respect their outlook. Maybe 30 years in the automotive industry (and over 1/2 with ford )have soured me...Love all you guys and gals..... live long and prosper

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wow, I actually agree with Catsmasher!!
As for you newer Bullittheads, I was the first to bring the issue of the disappearing sticker printing to Team Mustang. Not the issue of weather we should have gotten a ID plate, but the situation of when the D##M lettering wipes away when you try to clean it. Team Mustang told me in Gainesville Raceway that would look into the problem and resolve it. Yes, most of you dont have half of your decal gone and the their solution is to send out a cover decal to protect it, but as for me and a few others, I want it replaced by FORD or something else to remedy the problem. I paid with tax and title almost $30,000 and this should be a simple solution for them to promise to fix without having to go through all the red tape! And care that they goofed. To me my BULLITT is awesome and any problem I have, my Dealer fixes for me. I bought a Cobra back when and sold it for my Bullitt. It had that ID plate on the engine and a simple Certificate of Authenticity with my Cobra VIN number. How much could something like that really cost them to print up and send to us!! I dont think very much. Oh, this isnt a Cobra, I forgot. I gaurantee none of these problems will exsist with the Mach1 or the upcomming Boss........As for me I'm not happy with this........just rambling...........

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with Cat Smasher!
And yes I (only?) paid $28K for my Bullitt, but I have recieved more quality for less money (in Ford cars no less). Let us and Ford not forget the mid 80's when the Japanese began proving that quality does not have to come at a higher price!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Many of you are upset over all sorts of issues, and you have a reason to be. But by getting all worked up and coming across with bad attitude will only work against you. What we need to be doing is, going to the dealers and have them look at the problem, let them attempt to fix it. The more report that they get from the field as far as warranty dollars are concerned will have them searching for a solution. Art and team mustang knows about most of the problems now by having it documented it forces them to fix the problem properly, before it costs them anymore than it already has.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
somehow I do not think catsmasher, bullitt369, bullitt 1164 or myself (texasbullitt) have bad attitudes.I think we would just like what is right and due us. we are not willing to settle or let ford take the easy way out. It is a business issue not personal.
The dealer will not / cannot do a thing about the sticker issue ,the solution must come from corporate ford,and be passed on to the owners thru the dealers. thats how it works. the dealer can sympathize, empathize and any other ''thize'' but dearborn is the only one who can do a thing. They still havent addressed some of the quality issues , parts availability issues either.. go ahead and go to your dealer and try to get parts for the transmission ,I challange you.... you will wait. there are bunch's of parts for bullitts , cobra's and gt's on back order and no matter how ''happy and friendly'' you are... they still won't become miraculously available...
as far as a choice...I owned a 98 mustang gt before bullitt, I either would have stayed with her or frankly bought a s-2000. no klunking there.
anyway....it's just the way I feel, I am tired of folks hoping that you will go away rather than fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-24 11:21, CatSmasher wrote:
You guys crack me up!
We are talking about a guy who gets his paycheck and keeps his job based on one thing and one thing only.... How happy we (his customers) are and our willingness to spend money on his cars. Quit acting like he is doing us a big favor by reading our emails and coming up with a half assed solution to the stupid sticker idea. He is the one who blew this in the first place by approving and implementing the sticker idea (to save money no doubt) so we should bug the crap out of him for a valid solution. If we don't like the solution (and I for one do not), we should keep bugging him. Don't be scared that he is going to stop listening to us if we become too much trouble. If I was his boss and he tried to get away with that, he would be working for daewoo the next day.
Basically what I am trying to say is we need to remember who is the customer and who is spending the money! That's right, US! I am cutting a pretty chunky check to Ford Motor Credit every month, so I don't worry one bit about Mr Hyde's feelings or irritation level.
I am overall pretty happy with my Bullitt. I used to be giddy with glee over it and the only little issue I had was the stupid sticker. Then my transmission started klunking and I feel like I am getting some kind of silent treatment over it. The next visit to the service department will tell...........

As for Art, He works for us and he gets paid pretty damned good to put up with us 'little people' who just happened to drop half a years salary on a new car.

The CatSmasher

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CatSmasher on 2001-08-24 11:22 ]</font>
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Well said Smasher, well said!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Green Pony, please do not misinterpret a business attitude with a bad attitude. There are certain things that I feel we are entitled to and need to be done. For these things I will not be overly courteous, I will be polite (which we have been), but these issues need to resolved.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-24 13:23, Green Pony wrote:
What we need to be doing is, going to the dealers and have them look at the problem, let them attempt to fix it. The more report that they get from the field as far as warranty dollars are concerned will have them searching for a solution
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to say these two issues are anywhere close to being similar, but Ford knew they had a problem on the Explorer with the Firestones as early as 1997 (according to internal documents & memos) & look how that turned out!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts