Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To step out of the Bullitt and something a bit more practical for me at this point in my life. My wife and I are expecting our first child so that is obviously weighing in on my decision. As are the winters in Wisconsin, even though I have been driving mustangs for nearly 10 years through the winter without an accident... I am just over white knuckling it even with Blizzaks on during my 40min commute. Just the normal issues you face with what is essentially a 2 seat RWD coupe as your daily driver.

I will certainly miss the car, no doubt about it. To ease that pain I am choosing to buy a new Subaru WRX, still a quick (268hp/258ft-lbs), manual, fun car to drive with a large aftermarket and following. On the practicality side of things it has 4 doors, AWD, decent trunk, and 33mpg hwy, solid back seat room, and excellent value retention.

On to the reason for this post, I am wondering what is reasonable to take for a trade. Id rather not private sale just because of the added complexity of the sale and since I am ordering the car it would be hard to time the sale of the car perfectly (i think). Simplicity to me may be worth a couple thousand dollars. Of course I have used every estimator on the internet (KBB, Edmunds, etc) but we know that isn't the end all be all for valuing a vehicle. It seems to me like 12k is what I need to aim for, although it may take some work.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks I should take on trade, or if anyone has traded in their B and what they got for it. Or if im crazy and should somehow figure out how to private sale it. Thanks for your help!

2008 Bullitt
57k Miles
Stock wheel brand performance new tires (sport comp 2s)
HIDs
Shaker 500 with Sirius
Perfect mechanically
Minimal wear on interior
Only mods are lowered, konis, gt500 strut mounts, whiteline fixed LCA bolted to whiteline relocation brackers (I know mods tend to hurt value)
Exterior a couple small door dings (less than penny size), and a few rock chips. Some paint touch up (previous owner)

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Shawn, running about the same configuration as you, 60K, with the exception of a new engine, 5k on it. When first had the H-attack and prognosis, I inquired about selling it, Dealer buy, was 12 to 13 K, as they knew the car, or sell on consignment. Reason was there are a million 05-09 S197's out there, and not that many interested Bullitt buyers. Glad I kept it now as things turned out. Good luck on your new WRX, great car.

Reactions: tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to let the stallion go, but totally understand the quandary...good choice w/family expansion. You're not too far off w/the $12K mark b/c NADA Guides has your year & mileage at $12,550/rough & $13,750/average TIV. Good luck & let us know how the wheeling/dealing works out.

·
Premium Member
14,410 Posts
You just explained why I plan on driving every dime of my $30,075 new purchase price out of my '09 Bullitt. If it's worth so little, yet still covers my transportation needs, I'm not going to go through the depreciation process again.

Something to keep in mind the next time some car salesman beams, saying; "This car is a great investment."

·
Registered
831 Posts
Dont blame you, The WRX/STI appeals to me on so many levels. They really seem like the perfect all around car.

Onto the trade amount. Last year I was offered 14,500 for my Bullitt at 70,000 miles. This was at a Ford dealer however, where they may have an easier time selling. I don't see why you couldn't get 15k private sale.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
This post is really a wake up call. I went to KBB to check on my cars. Bullitt is worth $12612.00 on a trade. I just blew 10 G's last year on a trade, and another 2500 on new wheels Brakes & tires. I would be giving the car away. My 97 TBird is only worth $1995.00 bucks on a trade. Crazy man. I was offered 7500 last summer by a guy who wrecked his 97. Like Paul says, drive them till the wheels fall off.

·
Premium Member
14,410 Posts
All that said, I can see why CommoRat is making the move. He's about to become a daddy. Still wants to hang on to something sorta fun to drive, thus the WRX. But really...this 72 year old should warn him...he is about to enter the mini van stage of life. In a few short years, the Subaru won't work all that well. Maybe more than one child in his future. Kid gear will need to be hauled..there will be food spills all over the back seat area. It's just what life is.

But it's not all doom and gloom. There are benefits to being a "family man". I consider it one of the most important jobs a guy can do. These days if you can raise a child to stay out of jail and hold down a decent job in adulthood, you can consider yourself a success.

And...once the kids have left home and are on their own, you can go back to having a fun car for dad...

As far as cash value goes..yeah, our "special" Bullitt Mustangs aren't so "special" after all. But then, why worry about that aspect until you feel the need to move on?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
The amount to "buy up" into a Bullitt from a standard, er Premium GT isn't so much to sweat at resale. It has lots of factory mods already, and how many of you that do mods of any extent spend that small a buy in for the mod and installation. Just consider it a GT Premium and move on in life. Cars are not an investment on any level unless you are a dealer, or well stuffed speculator of old cars. Make that classic cars...

As for resale, moving to a minivan is good advice. I know you hate the sound of that, but really, it's where you are heading. You'll need a dog of reasonable size too, that is if you don't already have one. And don't forget a cat, and fish tank, maybe a chicken or two for the yard... :rolleyes:

Ask me how I know. Experience counts! And Paul (just above) is right!

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is exactly the reason that I own the Bullitt. My cars were always filled with juice boxes, cheerios, etc. I LOVE having a pristine car without the child droppings. Enjoy that baby but treasure the car memories!

All that said, I can see why CommoRat is making the move. He's about to become a daddy. Still wants to hang on to something sorta fun to drive, thus the WRX. But really...this 72 year old should warn him...he is about to enter the mini van stage of life. In a few short years, the Subaru won't work all that well. Maybe more than one child in his future. Kid gear will need to be hauled..there will be food spills all over the back seat area. It's just what life is.

But it's not all doom and gloom. There are benefits to being a "family man". I consider it one of the most important jobs a guy can do. These days if you can raise a child to stay out of jail and hold down a decent job in adulthood, you can consider yourself a success.

And...once the kids have left home and are on their own, you can go back to having a fun car for dad...

As far as cash value goes..yeah, our "special" Bullitt Mustangs aren't so "special" after all. But then, why worry about that aspect until you feel the need to move on?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts

Well said. Been there, done that and have the gray hairs to prove it.

Sold the mini-van with built in car seats. Sold the training vehicle (numerous small accidents (got to love those teenage years if you don't kill them first)). Back into the cars we want.

Now a new problem is presenting itself. The car seats for the grandkids does not fit in the Bullitt very well. Guess I will drive the truck more often.

Reactions: pwd72s

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If you're a Ford fan have you looked at the Fusion Sport? 325hp 4 doors and fun to drive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think these cars are holding their value quite well.(at least in Canada) We all know that a dealer trade in price is going to be way less than the car is worth. This is especially true if its not a Ford dealer and even then one that knows what a Bullitt is. You would be surprised how many don't. (Most SVT dealers are more knowledgeable)

To buy a 2008 Bullitt in Canada with low mileage and no winters you are looking at $20K-$25K CDN$. Higher mileage with winters $17K-$18k. These prices have remained steady for the last 5 years and I don't see them ever dropping. They may not go up but they wont go down. There is and always will be a small but passionate network for these cars. Took me a year to find mine and I was searching Canada wide. Over the last year I would say I have only seen 7 or 8 2008 Bullitt's for sale nationally.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you're a Ford fan have you looked at the Fusion Sport? 325hp 4 doors and fun to drive.

I've been resisting the urge to look at one of these, for fear I'll go home with one. A couple local dealers have them in the low 30s, from sales events Ford is having. Still pricey, but thats a good amount of car for the money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the feedback guys. No I will never own a minivan, and you can quote me on that. If I need that much room I will buy a F-150 S-crew, they seat 6 and the ecoboosts have a pretty impressive 0-60 times.. I just don't want to commute in it or pay for the gas. Plus the wife has a new Outback for that reason, which also happens to hold our Belgium Malinois and German Shepherd quite nicely without folding the back seats down. A little forward thinking goes a long ways! Had her get the hauler so I could still have fun.

Ive seen the fusion sport and dont like the pricetag, plus at this point its unproven even though the ecoboosts have had a solid showing since introduction. The WRX just ticks all the boxes and has a proven track record. I will say it rides firm and has good power but falls on it's face in the upper RPMs , but it's supposedly fixed with a tune so we will see. Im looking at getting a Limited trim which has everything except a few luxury add ons for right around $30,500, so since the Bullitt is paid I will be rolling it all into it.

I WILL own another mustang :), just not now... I am already looking forward to it lol.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
The Subaru will be addicting. I never thought we would own one. My wife said her friends have an outback so she wanted one. I said "get EXACTLY the one you want no matter the price". I will never drive it. Right.

She got this loaded outback with all kinds of weird **** on it in this deep blue. Engine sounds like a popcorn machine.

I said I hate the ads on TV and all this Luv stuff. Anyway, it honestly is an amazing car. Very good in the winters we have up here, excellent mileage, seats, visibility, etc. I wanted to drive it the other day and she wouldn't let me!

You did good. First being a papa and now being safe and practical on a car.

The WRX, awesome!

You, young man, are to be commended!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, certainly trying my best. They gave me the 12k I wanted for the Bullitt without much haggling. Ordered the WRX Limited in Lapis Blue Pearl which is a really cool deep blue and in some lights has almost a purple hue to it but it seems you either hate it or love it. Got the car for a couple hundred dollars over "invoice" also without much trying, that's why I went back to this dealership even though they are over an hour away.. they are just so easy to deal with. Downside is they estimate 10 weeks for delivery :(, wifes Outback is built in Indiana but the WRX is still built solely in Japan.

·
Registered
156 Posts
At the beginning of this year really thought hard about letting the B go..even contacted some people to let them know I was considering selling but....

.just returned from a long weekend trip to Missouri and just love driving the twisties in southern MO..only problem was I ended up on a gravel road and the ground pulled the Cat convertor from the passenger header..drove back to Illinois and felt like I was in a Nascar

Still love this car

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
.just returned from a long weekend trip to Missouri and just love driving the twisties in southern MO..only problem was I ended up on a gravel road and the ground pulled the Cat convertor from the passenger header..drove back to Illinois and felt like I was in a Nascar

Still love this car
No...that is not a problem. It is an opportunity......HMMM....what exhaust mods to try next.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts