Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well maybe...

I talking to someone local about his 3650(mach 1) and problems he was having (the same ones everyone have) and he said on Mach1registery the guys over there seem to have the solution. They call it the special sauce,

It is one bottle of Lucas Tranny Fix and fill the remainder with Mobil 1 trans fluid for a total of 3L (fluid of your choice, doesnt have to be Mobil 1)

Seems that those who have tried it have had very good results. So, I picked some lucas up this week and will try it out and let everyone know how it feels afterwards.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
MisterBlack_3828 said:
well maybe...

I talking to someone local about his 3650(mach 1) and problems he was having (the same ones everyone have) and he said on Mach1registery the guys over there seem to have the solution. They call it the special sauce,

It is one bottle of Lucas Tranny Fix and fill the remainder with Mobil 1 trans fluid for a total of 3L (fluid of your choice, doesnt have to be Mobil 1)

Seems that those who have tried it have had very good results. So, I picked some lucas up this week and will try it out and let everyone know how it feels afterwards.
What problems have you had to make you try this?
Cold crunching or hard to go into second when cold?
Can't hit 3rd when revs are up?

I like my gearbox now it has been rebuilt. I had a new 1 - 2 shifter fork and a new 3 - 4 fork both on new rails but replaced the plastic bits with machined brass. It is still a bit agricultural but overall I like it.

Let us know what your problems were and post the results to see how you get on.
Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
English Bob, Cold crunching and hard to go into second when cold, along with not hitting 2nd or 3rd when revs are up. A lot of those on the mach 1 pages were having the same problems and found this to help immensely. So, we will see what happens. Just thought I would pass along the advice.

I hopefully will be trying it monday, I ordered a shifter gasket from CobraBob and dont know when it will arrive though. If you havent checked out his shifter gaskets, they are a nice deal -
http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Brian: I think the only real fix for the 3650 is to not have a 3650 but please let us know how your "fix" works. When I talked to Scott Hoag about the 3650 problem he said some of the holes through which the transmission fluid is supposed to flow are not lined up properly which would seem to me to be something that will continue to be a problem regardless of the tranny fluid used. But I hope your solution works as many of us would probably try it.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
New Shifting forks will also help ;-)... Ford shipped our cars with bent forks ;-). I just was afraid to let them change the forks with all the other issues I had back then.

Thanks

Bud

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
BudACAD said:
New Shifting forks will also help ;-)... Ford shipped our cars with bent forks ;-). I just was afraid to let them change the forks with all the other issues I had back then.

Thanks

Bud
I was told this as well that some were out of spec. It only takes a small small error to lose a gear as I found out
when one of those plastic bits fell off the shifter fork.
20 cents worth of plastic lost me second gear.
MisterBlack_3828 said:
Anyone know what it costs to get new forks installed? Is it something you can do yourself?
The shifer forks are really cheap, the cost is getting them installed.
You could do it yourself, I would have fitted the forks but I had nowhere to get my gearbox out.
Also I had no idea that it was just the forks at the time.

I would not have took my gearbox down as far as they did
but I am glad I had it rebuilt and I can live with it now that I have had it fully rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
MisterBlack_3828 said:
well i got my gasket today and all my fluid. Hopefully sometime this week i will be able to give her a flush and fill and see how she feels.

Hopefully amazing :)
Good luck and when you do try it can you post the cold results, first drive and the outside temp as well please.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah those 3650s are not the best. I have one torn apart on my workbench out of my friends 01 cobra. He completely blew the 2nd gear syncro out.

If any body needs parts for their 3650 the rest of the tranny is good. He ended up putting a built 3650 in it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
tranny

BullittFreak88 said:
Yeah those 3650s are not the best. I have one torn apart on my workbench out of my friends 01 cobra. He completely blew the 2nd gear syncro out.

Why then would Ford put such a problematic or "defective" transmission in these Bullitts anyway? Mine makes a little noise and I was told after my last oil change from a Ford dealer that my throw out bearing may be bad.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
BullittJon said:
BullittFreak88 said:

Why then would Ford put such a problematic or "defective" transmission in these Bullitts anyway? Mine makes a little noise and I was told after my last oil change from a Ford dealer that my throw out bearing may be bad.
Good question, Mine seems to work Ok but not great! I hardly have any miles on It.
I don't like the sound of It, shifts kind of hard but not a grind on upshift. I shift It easy especially when cold and double clutch down shifts into 2nd. or first. I don't get very cold temps. where I live even in winter and like I said don't drive It much especially in the winter. The botton line is why did FORD put such a piece of SH** trans. on our cars? I didn't realize they had A problem until after I bought It and got on IMBOC- OH WELL nothing is perfect!

·
Registered
30 Posts
BullittJon said:
BullittFreak88 said:

I don't know why ford did. I have heard on several occasions that the new cobras are cracking the bellhousing on their trannys. I believe its a tremec 6060 6 speed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
BullittJon said:
Good question, Mine seems to work Ok but not great! I hardly have any miles on It.
I don't like the sound of It, shifts kind of hard but not a grind on upshift. I shift It easy especially when cold and double clutch down shifts into 2nd. or first. I don't get very cold temps. where I live even in winter and like I said don't drive It much especially in the winter. The botton line is why did FORD put such a piece of SH** trans. on our cars? I didn't realize they had A problem until after I bought It and got on IMBOC- OH WELL nothing is perfect!
If you think the 3650 is a pile of crap try the T5. The 3650 is an improvement over what was used until that point. If it bugs you that bad you could upgrade to a TKO.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
MisterBlack_3828 said:
well i got my gasket today and all my fluid. Hopefully sometime this week i will be able to give her a flush and fill and see how she feels.

Hopefully amazing :)

Got an update?.....yet.......

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.