Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I just came in from spending the 3rd - 3 hour night with waxes and this is what I have come up with. I have asked many people, from auto parts stores to detail shops about the best wax for MY bullitt. Most people have a heavy stand behind a certain product or brand, and personally I have used Meguires for a long time, because of it's ease of use and the ability to buff out easily with a great shine. Fortunately for every one on this board, I am more open-minded than most. After listening to people say "this is the best!" (and none of them were the same), I decided to take my own unbiased test with three major, readily available waxes in our area. Here are the results: (BTW, here in the Northwest, Seattle, we have a major chain of auto parts stores call "Shucks" where I bought all of the products, and our weather is very, rapidly changing) I tested 3 brands. One I put on the hood, one I put on the truck lid and another I used on the roof and sides. The three brands were Zymol, Turtle wax Emerald, and Meguires Gold Class, all top of the line in their brands. I have a Black Bullitt, so naturally it is the toughest to keep clean (and shows more defects and streaking) than Blue or Green.

Zymol - the most expensive of all of the brands ( at $ 12.99 a bottle ) I have never worked so damn hard at removing a wax as this brand ! It went on easily and the bullitt really "soaked" it in well. On the label, it said "Rub it in and take it off before it dries, working only 2x2 section at a time." I tried to follow this, bit after I rubbed it in just a 1x1 section, it ried like in 2 seconds ! (and this is in seattle and today was only 65 degrees ! i could imagine what it would be like in Arizona or Nevada, 1/2 second drying time !) Anyway, after 3 hours, I finally got it rubbed it all out and the streaks too, it was by far the best finish ! Really Really deep gloss. I was impressed !

Turtle Wax Emerald - I have always despised Turtle wax products, because of the way they buff out ( but again, this is a new product and I wanted to give it a chance!) I paid $ 6.00 for the bottle and now it is sitting in the bottom of my garbage can still 9 10ths full. This product's only positive is the protective quality of the way it beads up water and diverts it. It was the best wax to do this of all 3. But I want the car to LOOK great as well and this wax left all kinds of "micro spots" all over the hood. It was as if I left the car under a maple tree for the afternoon on a 100 degree day. ( and you all know what happens with that !) In fact, after I was done with the "water beading test" I was so disappointed with the way the finish looked, I stripped it off and re-did it with the Zymol !

Meguires - Hands down winner for the easablility of putting on and taking off ! It doesn't powder as much as the Zymol and it looks pretty good, It came in at $8.99 a bottle. While the finish looks good, it marks up really easy (something the Zymol didn't but the Turtle wax did as well) and being a black car, doesn't jive very well.

Results: I am a changed man regarding the wax for my bullitt. While I traditionally have gone with Meguires, I would have to say that the Zymol gave a better shine, finish and depth. Just make sure you have the FULL afternoon to take this sucker off, because it will ! I would rather spend the 3 hours doing it right than waxing every 2 weeks because my wax wears off easily (i.e Meguires). I know their is many many obscure and intense waxes out there that you personally may been a fan of, I wanted to test the "main" brands that most of us will be exposed to.

Thank you

Kurt

·
Registered
762 Posts
I used the Zymol on my Black Roush and agree with you about its qualities; however I'm going to give Zaino a try. I have seen results on other cars and believe that it surpasses even the blue Zymol with a lot less effort. By the way your tests goes hand in hand with the one done at http://www.nsxsc.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2001-07-19 01:55 ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
Great, now will you do mine next? I will be down in your area on Saturday. :wink:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Mequires is an excellent wax, it is the wax I used to use until a friend turned me on to Zaino Bros. Check out this site which a guy did a real extensive test of several waxes including the ones you tested with exception to the Mequqires. http://www.nsxsc.com
After the first coat this is truly one of the easiest polishes to put on and take off, and no powder residue at all. I finished waxing mine and put the towel I used to take it off with on the hood and it slid right off. Two weeks later after a couple of washes the towel stil slides off. Great stuff try it you'll like it. http://www.Zainobros.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OKCBULLITT on 2001-07-19 08:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OKCBULLITT on 2001-07-19 08:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OKCBULLITT on 2001-07-19 08:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will give it a try and let you know how it works out - I went to the site and all they have is "polish". In my experience, polish has some abrasives in it (even if they are microfine) They didn't have and "wax" products listed. Are they considering a wax and a polish te same ?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Janitorworld,

The Zaino Bros polish has no such compounds in them, it is called a polish but does not work on the same principal. The finish is meant for show cars that need that just polished look without the swirl marks. This stuff protects very well. The main ingredient in a good was is Carnuba wax and I have found out that Carnuba will come right off with a good dishwashing detergent (such as dawn) and even some car washes that boast heavy grease removal properties. Trust me I used Mequires for years and thought I would never change.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,068 Posts
Kurt, hubby is out right now polishing Bullette with the Zymol. Almost done. Wow! What a shine! Looks better than when she was delivered! It is a polish. Are polishes the same as a wax?

Vicki

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been a big fan of Meguires products for years, but I'm now realizing they don't last very long. Currently my Bullitt is undergoing a Mother's/Meguires test...I'll let you all know how it turns out.

As for Zaino Bros, my car club is looking at getting a case of the stuff, thanks in part to all the posts I've seen on here. If it only works half as good as everyone says, then it'll be worth it.

I've used the Bullet Car Wash from Prestone, and I hated it. Not nearly "suddsy" enough for me. I'm keeping the bottle though just because it goes with the car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Just got my Zaino in the mail today. It is a bit pricey, but every mustang board I have ever been on swears by it. I have never even heard talk of another wax on the boards.....

Doug

·
Registered
219 Posts
Any Klasse users out there? All-in-One is something else.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Vicki:

Polishes are not the same as waxes. Think of furniture. There are furniture polishes and there are furniture waxes. Polishes bring out the shine, and waxes are the protectorant on top to keep the shine. All polishes (except for Zaino Bros.) are very mild abrasives, sort of like 5K grit. They take off a very fine micro layer of the paint to remove the oxidation layer. This results in a shiny layer of paint on top. Then you apply a layer of wax to protect this shiny layer and keep it from oxidizing. Polish once a year, wax as often as required.........

DHG #0428

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dillo Dave on 2001-07-19 23:02 ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts