Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had good luck with getting long life out of Sears Kenmore refrigerators.
However something has changed. We bought a new unit,3 yrs. ago,this month. You would think,after spending $770.00,that the thing would last longer than 3 yrs!!
The compressor will only run for a few seconds,before shutting off,then continue to click on and off,trying to restart.
So,last night we had to unload all the food into the old Kenmore
unit we had placed in the garage,which still works great,after 22 years
Sears repair guy should be here tomorrow to check it out. Hope it is the compressor,since that is covered by a 5 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Low freon

Pressure cutoff. Not enough freon in the system?

If you don't know already. Sears branded appliances are usually Whirlpool products. Sears doesn't really make their own appliances or anything else. Profit comes from the financial arm of the company. They only run the stores now to have things that people want to buy, but can not afford. And so they provide financial "help". Thus, the money making side of the business.

Most corporations in the Dept. Store business are the same now. J.C. Penny, et al.:neutral:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,I know. A "Kenmore" could be built by any number of manufactuers. The Sears Tech came by and replaced the relay module. Works fine now. Cost....$180.00 !

·
Car Whisperer
20,881 Posts
I agree. We bought a new Kenmore and after like 2 years, the plastic liner that is the inside of the refrig had multiple cracks on the inside right side all along the side. They replaced the whole refrig for free, but I never saw anything like that.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Amazing. I thought I was the only one who had problems. The $10.00 fan that blows the cold air from the freezer to cool off the fridge section crapped out on mine. It was around a $100 dollar repair bill. I think the problem was the "Made in China" fan they used.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
I have a very old GE...the old rounded top looking frig...it sets on the back porch...as for as i know it has never been worked on an it still keeps the beer cold..it musta been made in the late 50's an weights about a ton:D

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
We had a Sears Kenmore that puked a compressor after about 8 years. After weighing the cost of the new compressor verses a new Refrigerator with full warranty, bought a new one. I called lots of service people about the compressor before buying a new one. The one that puked out was a G.E. and the service guys said the replacement would be the same and would puke out again down the road. New one we bought was a Whirlpool made Kenmore. Everybody said it would be better, I think it is on 9 years now, so I guess they are right so far (can you hear me knocking on wood). :smile: Appliances are garbage now days. The old ones last, but are not very energy efficient.

Lee

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Can you imagine you parents or grandparents buying a refrigerator (or any appliance for that matter) forty years ago and thinking that purchase might last for 5 years? Now it's the norm. In the past few years, so many people buying and trading up McMansions, that the problem is probably even worse than it appears.

·
Registered
562 Posts
At least you were able to get Sears out to look at it. Last year my $1,200, six month old Kenmore refrigerator, quit cooling. They said it would be a minimum of two weeks before anyone could come out to check it out. I needed a refrigerator, so I went to Best buy and spent $1,500 on a Samsung unit. It took Sears 90 days to repair my then 1 month old built in microwave oven. I should have known then, not to buy anymore appliances from Sears.

·
Registered
348 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Still should have lasted more than 3 years. My parents refrigerator is still running after 30 years a Westinghouse. My motherin law has it now. Still as cold as ever.

Sorry, man, but I gotta ask.....

Which one is still cold as ever - the fridge or the mother-in-law?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts