Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hmm,

I know we all enjoy pushing our Bullitt's to the limit from time to time. However, I've often wondered what most of you would say to a Cop/Trooper/Sheriff if you were pulled over for speeding:

Choose one of the following:

#1) Would you make up an excuse, FAST??:confused:

#2) Would you be honest and roll the dice?:redface:

#3) Would you tell the "Law Dog" to "F*&K" off (Hurry up, write your ticket!)?:mad:

#4) Would you be pleasant/cool and have a sense of humor?:lol:

·
Registered
922 Posts
"I know. I know. I have my right to remain silent..."

·
Registered
825 Posts
Cops are just people in uniforms. They don't respond well to BS, lies or excuses (they've heard them all already). If you get pulled over they saw you break the law.
Your best chance at not being ticketed is to be respectful and admit you used bad judgement and ask him/her if they would consider letting you off with a warning.
I almost always drive at 5 to 7mph above the posted. I pick the time and place to have some fun. I have had a handful of street races but when I do I punch it hard thru 1st and 2nd and by the time I'm working towards third the race has been decided one way or the other so I'll back it down and let the other guy scream down the road.
So far so good....knock on wood.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I have always been honest

I know how I feel when someone tries to lie to me.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The few times I've been pulled over I was cooperative and respectful, yes sir, no sir. I mean what the heck, I did what I did and I got caught. Messing with them in any way is an insult to their intelligence, probably not a wise choice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would roll the dice, even though I dont gamble.
For the most part I'm good in town, I run 72 in a 65 on
my 130 mile round trip to work and back.
We live in the country so there's plenty of room to play ;)
Gene

·
Registered
930 Posts
'Fess up, take it on the chin, be respectful, cheerful and pleasant...see how the officer's mood is and go for some cheery banter to pass the time if they've got a sense of humour - you can generally tell within 10 seconds or so what they will/will not put up with...

Being in the Military REALLY helps - not with the ticket, that's a done deal here in Europe once you've been stopped; though less so in the UK where the officer has the authority to issue a verbal warning; but on the Continent, the hands tend to move away from sidearms when they find out you're a serviceman...

Regional differences: Try and speak French to a French cop, even if it's just "hello officer" - pleading ignorance of the language just will not cut any ice and will get you hammered...
Belgian Cops smell of garlic and wee...same rules as for French cops but speak Dutch in northern (Flemish) Belgium and French in the southern (Walloon) region...
Dutch cops have a reasonable sense of humour..., and all speak English very well...being an airborne veteran anywhere around the Nijmegen, Arnhem, Eindhoven area gets you a free pass to commit rape, murder and grand larceny as well as speeding with impunity...they remember and are still grateful.

German cops are polite but utterly unyielding and humourless...forget trying to argue a point of law, as I did, just take the ticket and argue it out by letter if you need to...you have the option to pay fines at the roadside - do not take it - take the paperwork instead.

Brit cops speak good English except 'up North' where a strange 'Northern-Monkey' dialect is heard...most have a good sense of humour but traffic cops get bent out of shape over bad-driving as opposed to just speeding...expect a firm lecture, but admitting you were an arse does help...being Military doesn't help in the UK as many cops are failed Navy toilet-cleaners and harbour a resentment that they didn't capture Saddam Hussein with a broom and mop single-handed, while real Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan are Eternally Bathed in Glory and the adulation of a caring and considerate public...

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I heard one where a driver was offered to get off from his ticket if he could tell the cop a line that he hadn't heard yet. The driver blurted out that his wife just ran off with a cop that week and the reason he was going so fast was that he thought that the cop was trying to give her back. The cop let him go.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Arkady001 said:
'Fess up, take it on the chin, be respectful, cheerful and pleasant...see how the officer's mood is and go for some cheery banter to pass the time if they've got a sense of humour - you can generally tell within 10 seconds or so what they will/will not put up with...

Being in the Military REALLY helps - not with the ticket, that's a done deal here in Europe once you've been stopped; though less so in the UK where the officer has the authority to issue a verbal warning; but on the Continent, the hands tend to move away from sidearms when they find out you're a serviceman...

Regional differences: Try and speak French to a French cop, even if it's just "hello officer" - pleading ignorance of the language just will not cut any ice and will get you hammered...
Belgian Cops smell of garlic and wee...same rules as for French cops but speak Dutch in northern (Flemish) Belgium and French in the southern (Walloon) region...
Dutch cops have a reasonable sense of humour..., and all speak English very well...being an airborne veteran anywhere around the Nijmegen, Arnhem, Eindhoven area gets you a free pass to commit rape, murder and grand larceny as well as speeding with impunity...they remember and are still grateful.

German cops are polite but utterly unyielding and humourless...forget trying to argue a point of law, as I did, just take the ticket and argue it out by letter if you need to...you have the option to pay fines at the roadside - do not take it - take the paperwork instead.

Brit cops speak good English except 'up North' where a strange 'Northern-Monkey' dialect is heard...most have a good sense of humour but traffic cops get bent out of shape over bad-driving as opposed to just speeding...expect a firm lecture, but admitting you were an arse does help...being Military doesn't help in the UK as many cops are failed Navy toilet-cleaners and harbour a resentment that they didn't capture Saddam Hussein with a broom and mop single-handed, while real Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan are Eternally Bathed in Glory and the adulation of a caring and considerate public...
Imagine that, an armed German in uniform humorless and unyielding! Ah, the tradition continues... :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
One time two of my friends were cruising in a 70 GTO and the passenger was egging the driver on to smoke the tires and he did! Unfortunately a local cop was watching and was not to happy. He pulled them over and the first thing the officer asked was what inspired you to drive like an a**hole? Without hesitation my friend pointed at the passenger and replied he did! I think he let him slide with a warning and the advise to find smarter friends!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I would suggest no BS'ing and just being polite. You hear the same lines everytime. "I was just on my way to get my registration/inspection fixed right now!" (Even though it is 2 in the morning or Sunday or whatever. The BS'ing just gets old. It's refreshing when a polite respectful person talks with you. I try to be as friendly as possible. Even when people get unreasonable and start yelling at me; I try to give them another chance.

The other day near Antoine a lady ran a stop sign clear as day. That's good PC for me to stop and check out her car. I rarely ticket for moving violations; I just use them for PC to check insurance, license, open containers, etc. The lady started yelling at me that what I was doing was entrapment. She said I couldn't "hide and wait for people to run the stop sign." I simply responded that I didn't put the stop sign there. She continued to be a pain. So I wrote her for the moving violation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
VA State Trooper Stop

Back in Feb. 08 I was leaving my Son's house west of Richmond. As I got on the connector road to I-64 I went through the gears fairly radidly up to around 95 mph. I settled back down to 65 mph, the speed limit, and was cruising for about a mile. I noticed the blue lights flashing behind me and though "well what the heck". I pulled over and expected a talking to and of course a ticket. The state trooper asked "Sir do you know why I stopped you?". My reply was "probably due to my quick acceleration and excessive spped". His reply was "That's the new Bullitt, isn't it? My reply "Yes Sir", to which he replied "that's the first one I have seen. He indicated he was a fan of the Bullitt movie and then asked if he could look under the hood, and of course I said yes. He looked over the car for about 10 minutes on the side of the road with lights flashing and other cars passing by. After the review he said nice car take it easy and have a nice day. I thought that was pretty cool.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Chris,

Cool story indeed. Cops do dig the Bullitt. I was going down I-20 in Dallas and doing around 110mph when I saw the cars in front of me hitting their brakes and my knee jerk reaction was to hit the brakes. I was coming up on them so fast it scared me. Then I looked up and it was a county Sherriff.

Before he could even get in his car and shut the door I was parked in front of him several hundred feet ahead of him. I was LMAO when he walked up to my window and he was too. He said I haven't seen one of these close up. He said he clocked me at 86mph and that was a good thing, because it was only 21mph over the 65mph posted limit. I think he helped me out, because 4mph faster and I would have been arrested for reckless endangerment.

I still got a ticket and all, but I thanked him and he said have a nice day. He didn't even tell me to slow down or anything. Like that would help... I got the ticket dismissed by taking a safety driving course and I try hard not to get caught again...

Martin

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The last time I was pulled over it was for doing 51 in a 35 zone. No one on the road but me and a motorcycle cop standing behind a parked car up ahead with a radar gun. He stepped out in front of me and waved me down. I asked him how he was doing and he showed me my speed on the radar gun. Nothing to argue about. We ended up talking about the Bullitt. He still gave me the ticket and I had to do the traffic school thing and drop some money I could have used elsewhere but, He was just doing a job.......a bit sneaky but, doing his job none the less. No reason not to be civil.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I would never admit to anything, but I also would be very polite and just take it.

Over the x-mas period I was driving cross country. I peaked a rise in the road in extreme north OK. The county road speed limit had just dropped from 65 to 45. As soon as I crested the hill and saw the cop I knew I was busted. I started pulling over before he had his lights on. I rolled down the window and kept my hands on the wheel. He asked me if I knew what the speed limit was. I said it was 65. He said it was 45 and well posted. It had been for about 1/2 mile so I didn't bother arguing the point, I was wrong.

When he asked me for my info I handed him my stuff and kept my wallet open that shows the Ranger Creed under the spot my license goes. My license also say MILITARY for the expiration date. The cop asked me if I was military. I said yes and he asked me what I did. Turns out he was in a very related field when he was in the military. He handed me my info back and gave me a verbal warning. I was polite the entire time. I got lucky, but I'm sure if I acted like an arse he would have written the ticket.

BTW, this was the first time I'd been pulled over in nearly 20 years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've never tried to pull one over on the police when they've caught me. They seem to always ask the question, "do you know why I pulled you over" and when guilty I always let them know I'd been tagged.

However, I did get pulled over for the first time in the Bullitt a few weeks ago. I was heading back to my old stomping grounds in Fort Worth and I was running between Sherman and Gainsville. The speed limit goes up and down quite a bit through there so you have to pay attention. I had the cruise on doing about 75, in a 70, I was in the slow lane and I was being passed. I was pulled over. I got the obligitory question and I told him I had no idea why I was pulled over. He asked if I knew the speed limit there and I said 70. He said 55 and asked for my DL etc. I told him my DL and plates may say Arkansas but I'd lived in TX for 25 years and had been up and down that particular highway hundreds of times. I told him if he went down the road behind me about a mile he'd see the 70 MHP sign and about a mile ahead it changed to 55. He said, no its 55 here. I told him I never agrue when I've been caught but I was in the slow lane, being passed, had a radar detector on and knew he was there. About that time his partner in the patrol car signled to him and told him it was in fact a 70 MHP zone. The police appologized for the error on his part and explained he was new to that patrol zone. I told him no worries and can't blame him for doing his job. He followed me up the road about a mile flashed his lights and gave me a wave and went back the other way.

Treat them with respect and they'll return it. If you want to try and beat the ticket do it in court. Don't start with lying to the police. BTW, he really liked the car. I think thats why he stopped me in the first place.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Never lie.

They are pulling you over for a reason, if, in fact, it is just to do an insurance check, there is always a reason. When they ask you do you know how fast you were going, tell them. Don't say "I don't know." That then let's them put down just about anything they want to. You are probably on camera and being recorded so absolutely be polite. Yes ma'am, yes sir, etc...

If you were speeding, or did something illegal, I feel you should automatically fess up to it. If I get pulled over for speeding, and I know I am speeding, I always comically say "You got me!" Having been in the military, having a CHL and being a nurse does help, but let's face it folks, that police officer knows whether or not he/she is going to write you before they even get out of the car. If you try and BS or act an arse, they will write you, hands down every time. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
MustangMarkus said:
Never lie.

They are pulling you over for a reason, if, in fact, it is just to do an insurance check, there is always a reason. When they ask you do you know how fast you were going, tell them. Don't say "I don't know." That then let's them put down just about anything they want to. You are probably on camera and being recorded so absolutely be polite. Yes ma'am, yes sir, etc...

If you were speeding, or did something illegal, I feel you should automatically fess up to it. If I get pulled over for speeding, and I know I am speeding, I always comically say "You got me!" Having been in the military, having a CHL and being a nurse does help, but let's face it folks, that police officer knows whether or not he/she is going to write you before they even get out of the car. If you try and BS or act an arse, they will write you, hands down every time. Just my .02
Absolutely!

But don't volunteer anything. Answer the questions as stated by many already. Nothing, I mean nothing more. If they want to talk, fine. Talk, let them lead the converation. Like stated by others, the first 10 seconds and you will know if they are talking and sizing you up. Or there strickly to do business. If that's the case. Shut up.:neutral: Do what the officer asks, or requests. I have gotten out of more citations by following that than I care to think about.:rolleyes:

If you should take it to court, he has a recording from is car cam to fall back on. The less you say, the less likely it is that you will say something that he will remember you for. It's the negativity that gets you everytime. Very memorable.:lol: If he/she liked you, they may not respond to the courts calling their name to testify. In which case, you just got off as the court will usually choose to dismiss the case. ;-) Been there and done that. :)

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
I have never been pulled over while driving my Bullitt...but I have been pulled over twice while driving my Crown Victoria Police Interceptor...which makes for interesting conversation.

When I served as a Cincinnati Police Officer (2004 - 2006), I conducted many, many traffic stops. I loathed hearing BS. I gave quite a few written/verbal warnings but those that would collectively fail to take responsibility for their actions, had traffic records a mile long and were disrespectful usually received a citation.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts