Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, the Berger SS Camaro...
380 horses and 400 torque, with 17X9.5" wheels and great looks.
It's one of the most attractive cars I've ever seen, with a long lineage of performance that means more to me than a Hollywood movie (I love "Bullitt", but you know what I mean).
Three reasons why I didn't get one...
1) I test drove a new, regular 2001 SS and didn't like the feel of it, interior felt and looked cheap, car felt BIG...and looking through the sloping windshield created funky optical distortions (are they all like that)?
2) Bergers only come with T-tops...not my favorite, I'd prefer hardtop.
3) The price...I just couldn't afford that kinda dough...over $40k. Emjoy the beautiful pic!

·
Premium Member
8,772 Posts
Berger Chevrolet has been doing high performance Chevys since the 60's. Even though they are located in Western Michigan (Grand Rapids), I did not learn about them until watching a Camaro Tuner show on Speed Vision last fall. Here is a note from their web site:
"After the invention of the pony car in the 1960s, horsepower ruled in Detroit and all over the USA. At the time, there were four or five Chevrolet dealerships in the United States that achieved special recognition among devoted Bowtie enthusiasts for their high-performance cars and parts departments. Four of them were in major market areas of the US: Nickey (with their trademark backwards "k") Chevrolet in Chicago, Yenko Chevrolet near Pittsburgh, Baldwin Chevrolet on Long Island and Dana Chevrolet in the Los Angeles area. Those dealers and their home markets all dwarfed Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, Michigan; yet Berger sold more new Chevy performance cars and parts in the heyday of muscle cars. Of those five dealers, only Berger remains in business today."

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Looks ok on the outside. I dont know what all is done to it but for 40+k it seams to lack somthing I call power. A few of my friends have SS and TA's and the ride in them is Um [email protected] but thatsw just me

·
Registered
724 Posts
Dennis, I saw the show on Berger Camaro's, pretty sweet ride - what's with the grill? The grill's are what turn me off on Camaros. Bullitbro - lack of power- are you smokin' hash over there in the desert?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
That is one SWEET looking Camaro. Are those HP & TQE #s at the RW? If not, for $40k I would expect higher HP/TQE numbers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dennis

I was on the waiting list at my local Chevy dealer to order the 02 SS. Well just by chance i test drove the bullitt, and as the saying goes, the rest was history.
I too could not justify paying 42K (Cdn.)for a SLP equipped camaro that albeit is a cool car, was not as easy to drive on a daily basis. As much as i like the SS i wouldn't trade the bullitt for one. Our cars are an absolute pleasure to drive.!!

I cant explain the funky optical distortion , but i did notice it was hard to see the corners of the car while driving. Also the inside felt much smaller compared the overall size of the car..!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG 2766 on 2002-01-18 06:19 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Dennis,I just saw a red 2001 Berger Camaro at the local indoor car show today. It has that wild sounding chambered exhaust system,plus the 375 HP. But like you said $40,000 is a bit much for it. That's one thing I miss,here I go again,about the year 1969.....Anyone could afford a COPO L-72 427 Camaro,they just weren't all hyped up with sky high prices. They were true basic super performance cars for the blue collar crowd,something all the money grabbers have forgotten how to build!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts