Try shifting a 5 speed left handed !
1 internal titanium plate attached to the end of my ulna,
1 piece of cadavor(?) bone graph to reconstruct the end of a shattered ulna,
1 exterior unknown material plate ,
4 plastic tipped stainless pins to hold everything in place ,
3 hours of surgery
1 Bottle of Percocet's (Non Refillable)
1 Bottle of Vicodin (With Refills)

and no work for 3 to 6 months , Thank god for Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Short Term Disability with a county job.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Sorry to hear the news

Yikes!:shock: :shock: :shock:

And you did this how??? :confused:

REAL sorry to hear this happened.

Good luck with the healing process!

(Does your "significant other" know how to drive a stick?)

Steve

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately she does but I don't let her ,besides,Giving her the biggest guilt trip for asking me to put Christmas decorations away in the attic somehow made me feel better about it, Waited till I had 2 Vicodins in me before I told her it was an accident and was going to happen sooner or later , this year or next.
Doesn't really bother me with driving,Just no need to "hot-rod" it for a while plus pretty much anywhere I need to go I can take the country back roads and stay out of traffic.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
Gosh, David that fx is a nasty one..having worked in ortho for 12 years and now working as a Radiologic Technologist at a level I trauma center, I have seen more than my share. Looks like that fixation is the way to go for optimal results. Make sure you have the OK from your Doc to drive a stickshift, OK? Praying for a swift and total recovery for you.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
FlaFyrman said:
Try shifting a 5 speed left handed !
1 internal titanium plate attached to the end of my ulna,
1 piece of cadavor(?) bone graph to reconstruct the end of a shattered ulna,
1 exterior Stainless steel plate ,
4 plastic tipped stainless pins to hold everything in place ,
3 hours of surgery
1 Bottle of Percocet's (Non Refillable)
1 Bottle of Vicodin (With Refills)

and no work for 3 to 6 months , Thank god for Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Short Term Disability with a county job.
Man, David, talk about a "Dead Man's" hand!

Wishing you the best and healthy recovery. Please be very careful operating your vehicle during your recuperation.
Best to you!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
marichardson said:
Gosh, David that fx is a nasty one..having worked in ortho for 12 years and now working as a Radiologic Technologist at a level I trauma center, I have seen more than my share. Looks like that fixation is the way to go for optimal results. Make sure you have the OK from your Doc to drive a stickshift, OK? Praying for a swift and total recovery for you.
The surgeon started out with 20 to 90 minute surgery and ended up 3 hours,Think i'll take my MRT knob with me when I go for a re-cast and have it molded to fit the knob so I have to snap my hand onto the shifter,,
Overall I'm a week into it,havenned on the 27th and i've been moving my fingers about 5 days now,figure i'll try to cut down on the physical therapy time,I go back on the 14th for cast removal,an exam,and maybe a short cast but I remember the Dr stating the External Fixator will be on for 2 months.
Also do have slight numbness in my thumb but seems to have diminished some since the injury occured , Got my daughter shifting for me since she doesn't like to ride in anything else when I pick her up from school.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
FlaFyrman said:
The surgeon started out with 20 to 90 minute surgery and ended up 3 hours,Think i'll take my MRT knob with me when I go for a re-cast and have it molded to fit the knob so I have to snap my hand onto the shifter,,
Overall I'm a week into it,havenned on the 27th and i've been moving my fingers about 5 days now,figure i'll try to cut down on the physical therapy time,
Also do have slight numbness in my thumb but seems to have diminished some since the injury occured , Got my daughter shifting for me since she doesn't like to ride in anything else when I pick her up from school.
Perfect! A great bonding experience. If I were a kid and my dad needed help shifting gears in a Bullitt, I'd be the happiest kid on the planet! :smile:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bullittgreen said:
you must be shifting gears way too hard! is your transmission ok? ;)
What do you mean "shifting gears way too hard!" ,Only thing different is shifting slower between gears, Just because I have to use my left hand for a while and reach across my lap to shift gears once in a while doesn't mean I drive it any different than before , Always put in gear,let out clutch slowly while gently pressing accellerator until I reached desired speed to shift at,remove foot from accellerator in conjunction with depressing cluth pedal in order to up-shift to next gear,Once in gear release clutch pedal in conjuction with depressing accellerator pedal and repeat process throughout the rest of the gears. So please define "shifting gears way too hard!"

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zeke said:
Perfect! A great bonding experience. If I were a kid and my dad needed help shifting gears in a Bullitt, I'd be the happiest kid on the planet! :smile:
Funny thing is she's paid close enough attention to watching me that she knows the pattern even with my Hurst or MRT knob

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
FlaFyrman said:
What do you mean "shifting gears way too hard!" ,Only thing different is shifting slower between gears, Just because I have to use my left hand for a while and reach across my lap to shift gears once in a while doesn't mean I drive it any different than before , Always put in gear,let out clutch slowly while gently pressing accellerator until I reached desired speed to shift at,remove foot from accellerator in conjunction with depressing cluth pedal in order to up-shift to next gear,Once in gear release clutch pedal in conjuction with depressing accellerator pedal and repeat process throughout the rest of the gears. So please define "shifting gears way too hard!"
David, BullittGreen is just kidding regarding your shifting, you know, because of what happened to your hand.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bullittgreen said:
i was saying that you broke your wrist by shifting gears excitedly. i was just kidding. im sure your shifting is just fine!:) get well soon
Ha,Ha, My bad,Went right over my head, Told you I had 2 bottles of different pain med's

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Owww, that picture made me wince, looks painful! :eek:

Best wishes on a speedy recovery. :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wabirch said:
David
Just having that xray taken must have been the slowest you ever tried to move that hand. I can send you some Sunday newspaper plastic bags for keeping it dry.
Very cool your daughter is helping. Hope the recovery stays on track.
Took my 1 good hand and both the radiologist hands to position it,I was in the frame of mind of "Let's hurry up anf get this over with so the nurse can push the Dilotted(?),At least he got good pics the 1st time he took them, I'd take you up on the newspaper bags but think they come up a little short.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
BEEE careful David, I had a bad hand injury once (not as bad as yours, but still bad enough) and I HAD to shift because of my job at the time. So my shifting hand healed and now has a permanent "bow" to it because I had to use that hand to shift and operate the 2 speed pin. It was either drive or find new job. At the time I needed the job worse. I was much younger and foolish, so please take your time and recover! My hand still bothers me occasionally. Your B will be there waiting for you...:drool2: Get well soon!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And after today's office visit

Not going to re-cast or any type of velcro splint,Wants me to work on grasping the shift knob on my own,Say's it's good excercise for my fingers..All I know is i'm now very pleased with the pneumatic strut/lifts I bought for my hood.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks,Did some x-rays and said considering the pieces that came out and the length of the surgery he was pretty pleased with the results and now at 2 weeks after it happened I can almost make a clenched fist,just glad I can finally straighten my elbow out

1 - 20 of 38 Posts