Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed on more than a couple of mustangs that there is usually a grease pencil mark on the airbox. Here's a pic of one:

Just a tip to getting those off. Take a good general purpose cleaner/degreaser (i.e. Formula 409) and apply it pretty liberally to the mark and use a soft toothbrush to work it into the crevices of the plastic. It may take a couple of applications, but it should come pretty clean. Afterwards take a good revitalizer and clean the airbox. The one I use for everything on the bullitt is Mothers Back to Black

I use this on just about all the black trim minus the tires. It is a wipe on/let dry/wipe off product that stands up to rain a lot better that Armor All which has a tendency to put oily streaks on the paint after getting wet. Back to Black makes the mirrors and cowl look better than new. It also helps keep the external weatherstripping looking awesome. I usually get a little on the paint when I am applying it, but a good flannel detailing towel gets it right off.

Another great product I use for polishing any evil marks on the Bullitt is The Wax Shop Safe Cut

It is a great paint/plastic polish that will take out minor scuffs and blemishes on paint and plexiglass/plastic like the clear guage cover. Just be sure to apply some new wax over any newly polished paint.

Hope this helps anyone struggling with keeping there Bullitt spotless.

John G. (Mr. Anal)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Wax Shop Speed Glaze wax is a good product too. Use it on the truck and the wife's Nissan.

Brian

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I was wondering if anyone else had that mark on the airbox. I have been unsuccessful so far in removing it, I will try your idea. :bullitt:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not that I care, but if you can believe it -

In about 40 years, Bullitt owners will be PUTTING the grease marks back on the air boxes to return them to as close to factory new condition as possible.

Those grease marks will be one of those little known secrets that will clearly indicate a Bullitt that hasn't been altered.

Weird, huh? It's still nice to know how to remove them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'm leaving every little mark right where it is. I've even gone as far as to go all over the car and photograph these "annoying" marks. Might not be the best looking things in the world, but they are original and what people look for in a complete, original or restored car.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Oh no he is removing the assembly marks!! Man you know what it will cost to have them put back! Go to a big car show one day,and look at those big buck restored "die cast" cars.......you know the ones that never run!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Probably just an inspection mark to show it was checked. We use those "lumber crayons" all over the place when we inspect in the plant.

·
Registered
448 Posts
From what I understand, the marks aren't on the airboxes of all Bullitts, so who would know the difference? Also, I have a feeling these might wear off over time, as we are all worried about our number stickers doing. :smile:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
153 Posts
If I'm still alive in 40 years the last thing that I'll probably be worrying about is factory grease marks on my Bullitt.I'll more than likely be worrying about the crap marks left on my shorts as I struggle to get out of the orthopedic bed that I'll be forced to live in.Maybe I can put Bullitt stickers on my "depends" undershorts and try to duplicate the exhaust note of the Bullitt exhaust!BlackBullitt#1768

1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-08 17:38, jpmeade wrote:
If I'm still alive in 40 years the last thing that I'll probably be worrying about is factory grease marks on my Bullitt.I'll more than likely be worrying about the crap marks left on my shorts as I struggle to get out of the orthopedic bed that I'll be forced to live in.Maybe I can put Bullitt stickers on my "depends" undershorts and try to duplicate the exhaust note of the Bullitt exhaust!BlackBullitt#1768
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Hi North Arlington! I lived there 10 years ago before I moved to Fla. I hear the property value went up after I moved!! :-B

·
Registered
448 Posts
JP, I hear the cat-back Depends have the best sound...lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
I still have some of the marks visible. I had a huge check mark on my air filter, and a big X on top of the radiator cover!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting dilemma for the show crowd. For me, the marks make no difference in performance, so I'm not taking the effort to remove them. But for those interested in 'presentation', do you remove the marks and render the engine bay 'un-original', or do you leave them there and give the appearance that your four year old got to play 'craft time' in your engine bay?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
My car didn't have the mark on top of the air filter box. It does have a sticker on the bottom identifing it as Bullitt specific.For an extra 10 bucks,Demolete will put a mark on your new Densecharger!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good point Mus408, I was getting all worked up over a part that I plan to replace anyway, lol. :smile:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts